Less than 1 week away to have a hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everybody i am 47 yrars old a symthomatic with any problems except in the last 2 months my biggest fibroid grew from 9cm to 14cm and the Drs want to remove it. I wanted to share my experience and woul love to hear from anyone who has had a hysterectomy. I am very scared especially becuse i have a 1 year old that i will not be able to carry and 3 other children and a husband i won't be able to care for.

Thank you for hearing me

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do not be scared you have to let your husband look after you and take it easy you won't feel a hint and it will be over before you know it the recovery is the hardest

• Posted

Hi Creedes! I had a total abdominal hysterectomy nearly 2 weeks ago for uterine fibroids. Even just a couple of days after the op I could feel that the pressure in my abdomen (caused by my womb and fibroids) had been relieved, and I know it was absolutely the right thing to do. As far as the recovery goes, I don't have any children, but I think that will be the trickiest thing for you - not picking up your 1 year old. It is quite hard to do nothing, and you do need to do that for the first few days at first. I feel like I have recovered quite quickly but am conscious that although my external wound is healing fast, there is a lot more damage inside that needs longer to repair itself. Definitely no lifting, putting washing in, taking washing out of the machine... and no vaccing!!! Time for hubbie to step up for a bit! smile

• Posted

Hi, wow I thought my fibroid was bad being 8x8cm but yours is large! I'm a petite size 6 so my fibroid was causing lots of pressure and bloating, particularly bladder issues as it had pushed my uterus into my bladder cavity and taken up more than 50%!

I had my op Tues avo and I was honestly so scared, I was in tears but I knew it was the right thing so I needed to be brave. The nurses have been great and I was up and about with my catheter removed at 7am yesterday after the op being 2:30pm the day before. It was painful getting out of bed but a folded towel with pressure applied against my tummy really helps. The main issue I had was really bad trapped gas, which is really uncomfortable but has started to pass...,

Whilst I've been up and about the morn after the op, my tummy is tender and I know I wouldn't be able or allowed to lift anything.

I have a 6yr old but my mother in law and sister in law are staying to help out for 2weeks whilst I recover until I can at least do some very light duties.

My hubby did the food shopping, tidying, cooking, bathed and put our son to bed yest so he was quite the house husband, all on his birthday too! Let your hubby do the work, it's only temp, or can you schedule in someone else to come stay too? You won't be able to lift your 1 yr old or bend down for things post op!

My darling son had chicken pox 2 days before my op!! Great timing!!

Good luck

• Posted

I had a huge posterial fibroid, it was 22cm and they shrunk it down over a 3 month period  to 14cm  so they could operate. That was back in Aug 2011. I had a full abdominal hysterectomy. Like you I was scared as I was only 44. The recovery period was a long process, with 8 weeks off work and I didn't feel 100% for a good 12 months. All I can say is listen to your body. It will tell you when to rest. A hysterectomy is so much more than someone having a cesarean. The scars may be the same but the surgery is not. Rest up as much as you can. Do absolutely nothing for 2 weeks and by that I mean NOTHING not even fill a kettle. It will be hard but it is for you own good and for the good of your body healing. I also took Zinc after my surgery to aid my healing. When you are back on your feet you will notice your belly will swell, take note as it is  a warning to rest. If you want any advice or just to chat just holler wink

• Posted

Thank you beanie for your reply I love hearing from people their stories..

Aloha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.