LOCKED JAW AND PAIN

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl who recently has had locked jaw. I woke up one morning and my jaw was locked so I'd crack it everyday usually in the morning to allow my jaw to open wide. Then all of sudden, the cracking stopped and it became quite paintful on my right side of the jaw so I had less movement and I wasn't able to crack it anymore. I wear braces and my ortho told me to stop wearing elastics and to take Advil (ibuprofen). It helped with the pain and eased it slightly but it's been a week and I'm still taking it however, the locked feeling is still there without cracking though. Will the locked feeling go away with continuing to take Advil ? Or should I get checked again. Let me know

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there ibuprofen type medications if taken over a long time can have unwanted side effects of there own so I wouldn't advise looking on them as a long term cure. There main purpose is to reduce swelling and inflammation so I'd imagine that after a week if you are still getting jaw problems it wont hurt to go and get it checked again

Hope this is helpful

• Posted

Sounds very much like you have bruxism. This is where you grind your teeth as you sleep usually when stressed. This can lead to temporomandibular jaw disorder, which is commonly shown through jaw clicking, headches, times where the mouth can not fully open and in severe conditions jaw locking. From my experience with bruxism and TMJ I was given a thin and clear mouth guard to wear over my bottom teeth as I sleep. These can be made by your dentist and if you are prone to anxiety you can request a thin one, to ensure you worry less. I felt discomfort wearing it for the first day but after that, honestly you dont even realise it's there.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Ornella 40642: My jaw on the right side has been in pain for about 3 or 4 days now. I was chewing bread and something happened to my jaw! I've been using ice packs and it seems a little better. I was going to call my doctor but the ice packs have been helping. If you're still having pain, maybe you should see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.