Hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy (ovaries and cervix remain) March 13 and am nervous. I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. I have multiple fibroids, heavier periods, cramping but more bothersome is bloat, pain and discomfort. Did anyone try other methods prior to choosing surgery? I'm also concerned about gaining weight after the hysterectomy and/or other side effects that may occur.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

BTW, I'm 45 and obviously not interested in pregnancy.

Thank you,

Gabriela

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabriela you sound exactly like me! I have all these problems. I am having the same op at the end of April!! I've tried a lot of different things and am just fed up of the bloody fibroids! I am scared also but no one that I've met or read about regrets the op in fact they've felt so much better! It's your choice though ??

• Posted

Hi Gabriela, I had a total hysterectomy 5 days ago. I'm still recovering and not feeling the benefits yet but honestly for me I think it was the best option. I'm 33, no children (I had IVF which ended in a late miscarriage). I've had 14 surgeries...laparotomy and laparoscopies...all trying to manage the pain, remove adhesions, open my tubes and later removing my tubes. I tried everything they suggested, zoladex injections helped but the side effects were horrible which led me to my total hysterectomy.

I'm not sure about weight gain but as it is I can't really eat so at this point I don't think that's going to be an issue. The best thing I can advise is to book an appointment to discuss the options with a consultant.

I wish you the very best! X

• Posted

Wow you've really suffered! Thanks for sharing your story, hope you recover quickly! I had 3 opinions and all agree a hysterectomy is best. Good luck!

• Posted

My experience isn't relevant to you as my hysterectomy was for a total prolapse which was pretty awful and I couldn't wait to have it done. Good luck with making your decision x

• Posted

Hi long story short, I was found to have a fibroid measuring 8x8cm posterior intramural which was pushing my uterus into my bladder reducing its capacity by more than 50% hence the bladder pressure and frequent urination, bloating etc but thankfully no heavy periods.

The NHS gynae wanted to put me on Esmya for 3months with a follow up apt to discuss other treatments.

I read up on the side effects of Esmya and it's limitations and wasn't comfortable taking tablets that were a short term fix so I booked a private consultation for another opinion which was the best thing I did! Prior to my apt I did a lot of research online about the various treatments and also had two ladies at work who had both followed different paths of treatment for fibroids but ultimately ended up with hysterectomies, one a total keyhole and the other a sub total abdominal.

Due to the size of my fibroid and my age being 41 and I'd already had my lovely son now 6yrs old, I decided to have a sub total hysterectomy as I really didn't want to find myself in this same position again in the future. If I'd opted for a myomectomy it would've had to be an abdominal cut anyway as the fibroid is large and I'm a petite size 6!

I had my op Tues avo and I was honestly so scared, I was in tears but I knew it was the right thing so I needed to be brave. The nurses have been great and I was up and about with my catheter removed at 7am yesterday after the op being 2:30pm the day before. It was painful getting out of bed but a folded towel with pressure applied against my tummy really helps. The main issue I have is really bad trapped gas, which is really uncomfortable but I'm told this will pass!! I hope it is soon....

My advice would be to get a second opinion and research all options.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story! I actually had three opinions and deep down feel a hysterectomy is best, as I do not feel comfortable getting for treatments that may not work. My concern isn't weight gain and sexual desire but that may not be am issue since I'm leaving my ovaries. Good luck with recovery!

• Posted

Thanks. You sound exactly the same as me Gabriela! I've read and heard about so many people trying all different treatments and failing then ending up having hysterectomies anyway. I just wanted the fibroid out for good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.