New to Citralopam

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I started taking Citralopam yesterday and have been feeling like I am in the twilight zone(best I could do). I was already nervous about taking meds as I have had severe anxiety disorder for at least 15 years and just learned to cope. I started with a new PCP and he recommend I get on medication , other people have suggested this as well. I am just really not sure to feel about this. I am having more anxiety and I can not focus I am at work and I feel like I am going crazy. I have two small children at home and need to be in tip top shape when I am there as I am also a single parent. I do not have a support system or anybody to really talk me through this as my anxiety gets in the way of me meeting or even being around many people. I guess I am just reaching out looking for somebody who understands what i am going through. i will be going to couseling soon but that also makes me nervous. I hope this gets better I dont like this feeling!!! 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi amanda.

I can assure you that what you are feeling is completely normal and the side affects will wear off in about 7 - 10 days.

I understand how hard it is starting citalopram and being a Single parent as i am myself. I started on citalopram 9 days ago after struggling for the past 3 years with social and health anxiety.

I also have no support network other than this forum! The people on here are amazing and will help you with anything you need/want to know.

I can 100% reassure you that in a few weeks time you will be on the way up and you will start to feel good again.

Im here to talk if you feel you want to as i no how hard it can be having nobody around you who knows what your going through.

I hope you get better soon!

Conna.

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance. It is good to know that I am not alone it sounds like I came to the right place. smile After yesterday I have decided to only take it at night so I will be trying it again. I hope it goes better. 

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Yes this is normal I got much worse the first week before it got better it does take time and I got mood swings and felt down and anxious but I'm 3 months down the line and feel great now so stick in there and see how you go

• Posted

hi amanda this is a great place for advice everyone here is going through the same thing must be hard being alone and going through this trust me your not going crazy anxiety is a horrible thing to go through i to have been going through this for a long time to what part of the world are you must be hard with 2 children aswell to be going through this.
  • Posted

Amanda, you should feel so proud of yourself - you've taken control of your health and are doing something about it. You're obviously a great mum and doing your best for your kids.

The first couple of weeks on Citalopram can be awful - things seem to get worse before they get better but this is perfectly normal and the medication really works and lets you get back on with your life. The counselling will really help too and will give you great tools to get on with your life - take care x

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement. After hearing from so many of you guys on here I have decided to continue taking it and see how it goes. smile

• Posted

i tried Citralopam for 2 weeks and went throw all kind of side effects , the worse is the insomnia and upset stomach for the first 10 days , i also from day 2 started to hera a loud ringing in my ears and serching i found that it can become Tinnitus which can be permanent if not stop it on time , today i called my doctor to stop taking it, i was to concern about and she agree and ask me to stop.. be careful the Citralopam is really good if you can deal with it but if you experince sounds in your head call your doctor don't wait to long.. I hope you feel better soon ...

• Posted

i started it 5ml never have the chance to get to 10ml , and even like that it cost me so many problems.. I'm really dissaponted i was hoping for that med to help me with my anxiaty and now i'm in square 1 ....

• Posted

Hi Dan,

I am sorry to hear that it did not work for you. I hope you and your doctors are able to find something more fitting for you. Im sure it can be quite upsetting waiting to get better and only getting worse then having to start from square one. Keep your head up i hope you feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.