Recurring malaria

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am seeking help as the doctors I've been to have been unable to help me.  I had malaria while living in Tanzania when I was 2 years old in 1986.  Ever since for 30 years now I have experienced malaria like symptoms that are debilitating for one to two days.  This occurs 4-6 times a year.  I saw an Infectious Disease Doctor but he claimed that malaria could not still be recurring after 30 years.  I am at my wits end and don't know what to do as it occurs so frequently.  My main question is could it be possible for the parasite to still be active after so many years and if so how do I prove this to my doctor so he can treat it? Thank you so much for you time and consideration in this matter,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

have you taken chloroquine tabs ? 
    • Posted

Unfortunately, since the doctors I've seen don't believe I could still have malaria after all these years they have been unwilling to prescribe me anything.  From all of my research my symptomps line up with recurring P. Vivax Malaria.  I have a friend who was a missionary kid and the US doctors couldn't diagnose her recurring malaria either.  She had to return to her former country where she got malaria to begin with and they treated her there and she has been without symptoms for years now.

• Posted

My question is whether or not I could have gotten a less than lethal case of malaria and after 3 years could it still b effecting me? I went to equitorial guinea 3 years ago. About 2 weeks into the job I started having very vague but obvious signs of malaria like extreme sweats fever chills extreme fatigue and even severe stomach cramps that may last for up to 2 or 3 hrs. It never got any worse and I was taking a pill daily to prevent it also I ran out of my pain med while there so I chocked it up to that. Well it has been 3 years and I have never regains my energy the cramps still happen every 2 to 3 months. I have sweats accompanied by chills and I cannot take the heat at all just like in Africa. From Louisiana so heat has been a big chunk of my life. But no matter how healthy I'm living I cannot get back to myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.