Need help understanding Acapella & Flutter.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good afternoon! My mom saw her regular pulmonologist today and made some progress towards a better treatment plan. Yay! The doctor told her to order an Acapella Flutter. My mom thinks this is two separate items. Are they two companies that make the same device? Does she need both? question From my research I also see that the Acapella comes in high-flow and low-flow. Her doctor did not tell her which one to order and was very uninformative. What is the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jenny 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi guys! I should have looked farther down the posts! Lol. I see a great discussion on this already. Sorry for the repeat!

Jenny

• Posted

Good news for your Mom's future...Happy for the both of you.  I am sure you can sleep better knowing she is on her way to getting relief.

• Posted

Hi, I have both these devices, I was given the Aapella at the hospital, but i purchased the Flutter because it was smaller and we go abroud a lot, I find that the Flutter for me works better and get rid of more mucus, they cost less too. If you Goole the words you will get pictures and information on each devise, they work in simalar ways. Acapella having a plstic rocker inside that vibrates down your chest. the Flutter having a mettle ball inside that vibrates and rouls round and vibrates down your chest. I also find the Flutter easy to wash and dry.

Hugs Pam

• Posted

As other people have stated, they both work toward the same purpose, loosening the mucus. 

With the acapella, you just blow into it. With the flutter valve (at least with the one I have) you have to blow a certain way into it, using your diaphram.

Best case, her doctor should have given information about both. The internet is a good source to get information on both and how to use them.

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.