Achilles supports

Posted , 3 users are following.

Should I wear supports when I am out my boot after recovering from an Achilles' tendon rupture?I actually thought about wearing one on my good foot as that was taking all the pressure.If so,can anyone recommend any?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

I ruptured mine about 8 months ago and personally didn't but i think if it makes you more comfortable and confident then just do. Either way if you do decide to wear one I would suggest just make sure you are not doing anything extra as you don't want it to give you a false sense of security and then try to over do things.

Overall my advice would be that just literally take one step at a time as it is a very slow journey but you will get there! Keep faith and do your excercises as guided by your Physio!

Although one thing I would suggest is having a heel support in your shoes which I still use 9 months on (not used for trainers though) hope that helps!! Best wishes!!

Regards

• Posted

Hi Sks.

Thanks for your advice.You make a good point about them giving me a false sense of security,so I'll need to watch how I will go about it and I don't want to rely on supports all the time.

I hope you are making good progress,take care Mark.

• Posted

I am a very active person so I asked the doctor if there was another step to takd for support after the boot. The doctor gave me another type of ankle support that slips on like a sock, it does have the support for the back of the heal and the tendon, it has a couple of straps that tightens to give the support of the achilles. I also when not wearing that, I wrapp it with Ace bandage.  I feel that the more support I give it, the more comfortable it is for me, and to keep it from putting to much strain on it. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that Cynthia.I looked at those straps on line.And I think I will be taking a similar route. Hope you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.