Permanent symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis 5 years ago due to a chlamydial infection and have come to accept the pain in my joints. But the one thing that never went away and really bothers me is the ulcers on my penis. They don't hurt but that look so bad and create a bad odor. Is there any way at all to manage this? There is no information anywhere.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should have been treated for chlamydia with antibiotics
    • Posted

I was and the infection is gone, I've had plenty of blood tests since, but that one particular symptom remained, and that's the one that bothers me most, not the swelling of the joints. I'm 27 years old now and I was 20 when I first was diagnosed with reiters syndrome or reactive arthritis.

• Posted

The ulcer in penis .. is related to reactive arthritis.... does not seem correct. 

Maybe its a diffrent infectius problem. 

• Posted

Yes, it's one of the symptoms. It may not seem right, but it's not uncommon for reactive arthritis caused initially by a chlamydial infection.

• Posted

what i meant is chlamydia causing penis ulcer. 

Of course RA is caused by the chlamydia infection. 

• Posted

OK, but yeah, chlamydia can definitely cause the ulcers, and also conjunctivitis, other symptoms too. I'd assume it's some link between the chlamydia and the permanence of the reactive arthritis that make the ulcers actually stay, long after the initial infection has cleared. I would just love to know if anyone knows of a way to treat or lessen the effects of the permanent ulcers.

• Posted

ok .. i will research about these ulcers and RA related to chlamydia. 
    • Posted

I first became infected through chalamydia 50 years ago  after treatment with antibotic , the rieters came with all the knee paind eye redness and the great lack of energy no penis relalated issues. interesting that the last few years my blood pressure reading have gone up as high as 183/ 86 and the penis problem has been sore redness etc . here in canada belive it or not doctor don't want to reconize Reiters are Reactive arthritis so have gone on my own to find some answers i had to go to 3- doctors before l could have minocycline precription even told my story to a well repected cardio doctor he wouldn't belive the serious B P problem I was experencing was do to Rieters have taken the Minocyline 100 mg for 3 days  and now at 50 mg each day my BP is has gone from 183/ 81 in the doctors office last tuseday today thrusday 148/73 and like yourself was having real pain with the penis , today I have tried to contact a n organization who is doing work on rieters on the net in the world has l live in Canada with all the people with this situation l was hoping someone would be intersted with plus side of using this  antibotic  I am 71 years old have live with the Rieters its time  we found an antibotic for everyone with all the many pain. Blessing Roy from Canada 

• Posted

I saw a patent online for a drug combination drugs therapy - 3 medications one of them being minocycline. The drugs are 1 anti-protozoal, 1 anti-viral, and 1 antibiotic, all medicine has to be taken at the same time, I read the patients cleared up their symptoms within days to weeks. I went to my rheumatologist appointment with this information and she would not prescribe these medications to me as it's not standard treatment in Canada, this was extremely frustrating I've had RA for 5 months, I'm a 30 year old female who was extremely active prior to becoming sick, I teach yoga so being inactive is depressing. I'm also HLAB 27 positive, I am vegan and follow a strict diet, most the pain was extreme the first few months I couldn't walk or get out of bed, but I find with naproxen and a strict diet I'm slowly getting better. Extremely slow. I have a swollen right ring finger that is locked in a bent position and doctors have no solution for me ( in addition to a swollen middle toe and ankle, as well as both wrists and thumbs) They want to put me on methotrexate but I refused. How can I get he doctors to prescribe me minocycline? I'm truly desperate and I'm worried this will last a lot longer than I thought. Any advice would help, thank you and I hope you're well!

• Posted

Can you put the link to that pattent in the comments?
  • Posted

This is called keratoderma blennorrhagica  in glans penis. They treat it with creams including cortisone. Go see a local dermatologist. I hope it will go away after the treatment.
  • Posted

Cheers inform me about he process later on. May be you need to use some other oral drugs I am not so sure. Search the net.
    • Posted

Thanks Jack, there's not a lot of information online but it gives me something to take to the doctor. What I did find out for sure is that it's called Balanitis Circinata, and that there are indeed treatments for it. Right now she just says there is no treatment and I'll have to live with it. Unfortunately I live on a small island and don't have a choice in doctors.

I could ask my doctor to use her resources to find out more but I'm worried she won't try.

• Posted

Yes definitely the name of the ulcers is balanitis circinata. There is a treatment Scott. Just go to your doc with a medical article about the subject. As said before creams with cortisone will do the job for you. Just this is a suggestion I am not a medical professional. Do not accept what your doc said in once. Always search yourself. This is something that may go easily I think. Here is the link of a study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4555904/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.