HSV1 - Genital herpes help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys!

I have been told by my doctor that I have herpes, she took one look and said yep. My previous partner swears he has been tested recently and doesnt have HSV2 and hasn't had any new partners for 6+ months but gets cold sores so I guess I have HSV1 but I'll test later down the track.

Thought I'd add not 100% sure this is my first OB, back in December I had a rash and was told by a different doctor it was a bacterial infection (self diagnosed before my appointment and was sure it was herpes), took antibiotics and it seemed to have cleared quickly and was not as bad as this.

Does anyone have this type and can give me some info on their experience so far? There is not much info out there for HSV1 genital and it's driving me crazy!

I can see that it seems to be a milder type and also does not occur more many more times if any at all after the first OB.

Is anyone on valtrex with this type?

Has anyone been on famciclovir 125? I am on my 5th day of 2 tablets for 5 days and it has only gotten worse sad

Would love any info on this please as I'm still struggling to accept what I have been told, thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have genital hsv1. The first ob was the worst pain ever!!!! I described it as someone burning down there and scraping the area with razors. I did take acyclovir for a week and it cleared up within two weeks of it starting. It happened in May of last year and I haven't had one since.

• Posted

Can relate to the burning! I really hope this is my first and last.

Do you take any supplements like lysine and all that?

Did you change your diet or lifestyle to try reduce outbreaks?

Sorry for the million questions haha

• Posted

I didn't and don't take any supplements. I try to eat pretty healthy but of course that's not perfected yet still nothing. Actually that's how I kind of figured it was hsv 1 before it was confirmed just a short while ago.

• Posted

Oh that's reassuring.

If you don't mind me asking what test did you take to determine if it was 1 or 2, is it true you need to wait a few months to get an accurate test (blood test)?

• Posted

I don't mind at all lol that's what I'm here for. I did the hsv igg blood test and strangely enough my gyn only tested for hsv 2 when I asked them for the test at first and it was negative after 7 months. yes it's true because when the virus comes in contact with your body it takes some time to build up enough antibodies to become detectable on the blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.