No sleep in months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Posting this on behalf of my friend, trying to find a solution for him. He is lucky if he get a hour a night sleep the rest of the time he is trying to sleep but can't. It's been like this for about 8 months, today he is crashing he said his whole body is tingleing and he nearly passed out and I'm worried what to do. His sleeping pills don't work anymore and he has tried everything, this will kill him eventually what can we do. ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

What is his dr doing about this apart from prescribing sleepingpills which are ineffective?
    • Posted

Theres not much more they can do, He has tried most sleeping pills that work for a good 2 weeks but stop after the body gets used to them, He has been to sleep theropy and counciling to see if any of that would work, Tried all the music and tried chinese medicine. Litrally not much else he can do, So now Im worrieing as he cant carry on like this much longer
  • Posted

If he is withdrawing from benzo type sleeping pills this is what happens: no normal sleep. You build tolerance and then withdrawal hits. If that is the case please ask him to find a benzo withdrawal website-forum. Once he withdraws the sleep will return to normal but it takes time. If it is not the case than he has to look further.
    • Posted

he hasnt taken the sleeping tablets in a long time now because they stopped working, Theres not much more they can do, He has tried most sleeping pills that work for a good 2 weeks but stop after the body gets used to them, He has been to sleep theropy and counciling to see if any of that would work, Tried all the music and tried chinese medicine. Litrally not much else he can do, So now Im worrieing as he cant carry on like this much longer
    • Posted

How long has he been on the different pills? Some people develop tolerance very quickly. Also, stress is a factor. Lack of sleep does not kill, it is very painful but the body will sleep eventually. Sometimes we dont even realize that we actually sleep, but we do. The sleep pattern changes and we are no longer aware that we are asleep. 
    • Posted

4 years or so this has been going on, Yeah He is stressed as he has lost one of his jobs, But also he is worried about losing this one due to having time off from being tired, Yesterday he passed out so had to leave work.

• Posted

Has he had a sleep study done? Done by neurologists.
    • Posted

would your partner know or be able to find out then chase a sleep study up?
    • Posted

I just asked him he said he has already been to the sleep study clinic over nigth and they still couldnt understand why
  • Posted

Yes, 4 years, if he used the pills everyday might be enough to develop tolerance and go into withdrawal. But it also might be something else. Please, tell him that I slept for 2 hours only every second day or third day when I was withdrawing from benzos and I did not die. Nobody does. Some people do go on disability during withdrawals, some can continue working. myself, I did not work at thet time.  But it does go away and sleep returns. Please ask him to go to a doctor to rule out other causes for insomnia. Passing out is not normal. 
    • Posted

Hi Annetta

​Which benzos did you withdraw from and how long did it take? Thanks xx

• Posted

he hasnt taking the pills in about 6 months because they havent got him anymore to try because he develops a tolerance to quick 
    • Posted

That is good, if it is withdawal then it should not last much longer and the sleep will etun , slowly but it will. is he taking any othe medication? We oten do not realize that EVERYTHING we take has effect on sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.