How long can depression and anxiety go on?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I'm jade. I'm 22 years old. When I was 17 I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression and PSTD. I was put on 300mg of fluoxetine which I took till I fell pregnant with my daughter in 2012... after I gave birth to my daughter in 2013 I went back on my tablets but they made me worse than ever. So my doctor then put me on sertraline. I am now on 300mg of sertraline. If I forget to get my tablets It's the worst feeling in the world. I get dizzy constantly, it feels like I'm gliding when I walk and I cry at everything. But when I take my tablets I don't feel full stop. It's almost as if I am numb. I have been on my tablets for over 6 years now and almost feel like I can't do without them. Will I be like this forever? I don't feel normal. Sometimes I feel like I should just be locked away in a padded room. Will I ever not rely on pills?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Jade

Because of the time you have been on your medication and the side effects you have developed I would explain all to your GP and He may feel a change of medication might be a good idea

BOB

• Posted

Hi Jade,

Have you had any support / counselling for your PTSD?  It may be worth asking your GP for a referral to your local Community Mental Health Team (if you haven't already been seen by them).  

Best wishes,

Sharon

• Posted

Hi jade ive been on fluoxetine for 13 + years & as far as i know the maximum dose of this is 60mg. So i would question yr dr first of all about that. Xx i think its possible ppl get well without pills jade hope its the case for u. For me i seem to crash n burn without them after a time xx but everyones different. Good luck to u hun xxx

• Posted

Hi Jade - sorry to read of your situation. I am wondering - like Shaz - whether you have had any counselling. I am surprised at your doctor, firstly by prescribing such high dosages, andf secondly because he/she has not put a plan in place to address any issues that could be responsible for how you feel. The reason you feel so awful if even missing one day of meds is because your system is soaked in the medication. It's like a drinker who needs a drink to stop the tremens and feel 'normal' he can't operate without it.

Meds are a tool to be used with therapy to help the patient even out so therapy can be a lucid experience. Therapy will dig beneath the layers to see if there are trigger events and underlying causes for the way you feel. You are young and now is the ideal time to get all the support and understanding you can so your future is brighter for the sake of you and your child. Talk to your doctor. You will need to cut back on the meds gradualluy if that's what's decided. There may be another med that can better serve you. Best of luck for your future.

• Posted

Jade - I forgot to add that therapy and a proper evaluation of meds means that in the future you may be able to function fully and happily without meds. It will take time and commitment from you, but in the end you will understand yourself better and be a richer person for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.