On going depression and anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I've currently got ongoing depression and anxiety which is just getting worse. I am seeing a cbt therapist also. Not sure what will come out of this. My panic attacks are happening more and more. Dr has prescribed propanol of slow release 80mg. My need for alcohol is bad too. I'm fully aware of the dangers. Fed up and tired of it all now. 

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Charmcat

If you are drinking that will make your depression worse so it would be advisable you talk to AA and see if they can help you with your Drinking

You are also having CBT, they will be able to address your problems associated with Depression and Anxiety.

Try and become proactive in your attitude to drink and that will help you gain support of other drinkers.

BOB

• Posted

Be careful iwth propanol, as it can mske depression worse.  Are you seeing a psychiatrist?
    • Posted

No, but I'm seeing a therapist every Monday for CBT. I recently questioned if this was even for me. Iv took beta blockers before to help combat panic attacks. And they are happening quite frequently at the moment. I think they are treating my anxiety first before anything else. 

• Posted

Hi there im on propranalol 2 along with all my other meds supposedly to help with both my anxiety & migraines. Not sure bcoz of other tabs im on as to wats helping what. But i dont personally have any ill effects from propranalol. Xx im still awiting c.b.t. although ive had that b4 & residential psycotherapy to no avail. Hoping 3rd tym lucky... i also have resorted to alchohol to cope in the past but i put myself in too much danger that i now have to steer clear as much as possible xxx mixing with my meds not gud!!! Too impulsive :0(

• Posted

Yea, you sound a lot like me!! I just want to get myself back to normal and become a 'social' drinker once again. Like holidays parties etc. Just want to feel happy within myself then I won't need to turn to quick fixes. 

• Posted

U know id love that. I have to say no to every night out, my best friends 50th holiday coming up with the girls, christenings everything.. but im actually liking my own company as sad as that sounds and no guilt the day after or feeling ill. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi charmcat , I have just read your post, please don't give up , my brother was heavily depending on alcohol to the point where he was fitting regularly and hecwas even in a enduced coma for nearly a week as he was constantly fitting and the doctors couldn't get control of it so they had to put him in a medical enduced cona to give his body a chance to rest recuperate, even after that he continued to drink, my uncle died through alcohol a fewcyears ago and my brother was going the same way , luckily he met a girl who became pregnant it was not planned but they were really happy about it and a week after the baby was born my brother went into ahospital to help him come off the alcohol and due to his history of fitting the doctors recommended that he was admitted to hospital incase of him fitting with the withdrawal of alcohol and he was given medication to help him .

If he hadn't stopped the alcohol im positive that he would not be with us today, 5 years on and he is still sobber.

There is help there for you, I dont understand why the doctor has given you propanal , I thought that was a bitablocker as I used to take it to help me as i have a tremor and this help me to stop shaking, unfortunately one of the side effects is it can cause asthma attacks and even though I have asthma at the time it was to bad but after i had pneumonia and was on hospital i wad taken off it and my gp wouldn't let me back on it , i maybe mistaken but I didnt think it was used for depression.

Do you have any family that you can talk to or a friend. You said that you are seeing someone from cbt .do you find that helpful.

Please take care you are not alone there is always someone here to talk to, sometimes just writing it down in a post makes you feel better.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine I'm really sorry to hear about your brothers experiences. That must have been terrifying for you all. My uncle is a recovered alcoholic, almost killed him. My aunts also was an alcoholic, and recent activity suggests she still is. She even got diagnosed with throat cancer, faught it, survived, and now back on the drink. So I guess the 'enjoyment' for booze is in our blood. It's not good, and I definitely need to nip it in the bud before it's too late. I'm aware of this. Just trying to keep focused, fit, healthy etc. Yes the docs have put on beta blockers before. When my anxiety was quite bad. Just take one as and when. Hence why they've put me back on them again. As my anxiety is out of control. It does say in the info that it can be used to help anxiety. But mainly it's for a whole host of other stuff. I haven't taken one yet. They say one a day and they are slow releasing ones? Don't know if it's best to take at night or in the morning? Just don't want to feel 'zombified' . Hence why Iv never stayed on antidepressants as to how they made me feel. The doc said we can start here and take small steps and see what works.  Fingers crossed 

• Posted

Hi loraine so good to hear yr brothers doing well. My mums an alchoholic 45+ yrs, my brother, my maternal nan & grandad & an auntie & uncle on that side of the family. Its an awful disease. My aunts just been in h.d.u. after 6weeks detox she drank on antabuse but luckily was saved. Ive also said on on one of my posts i cud quite easily go down tht route its only the love for my daughter & not letting her have the pain i suffered lots to do with alchohol tht i havent plus the fact i put myself in danger so i cant afford to go there if i want to live. Thats how horrendous anxiety is hey... my sister & her daughter now regularly drink daily defiately a massive hereditary prob either by nature or upbringing who knows?? But yr advice to charmcat was lovely. X ps im on propranalol think yr right not heard them use it 4 dep but definately anxiety xx

• Posted

Hi charmcat , I have not been on the site i ve not been feeling to good, I am just catching up with my emails and I saw your message, I think that i used tovtakecit in the morning early but with it being slow release you should take it at the same time evey day,

It is often said that things run in the family or we have addictive personalities which I think tgete is some truth in or is it what wr are used to like you said it is eSy to go down that route, like you and Amanda my parents used to drink but only at the weekend we were luck my grandparents looked after us , i choose not to drink as I didn't want my children to be brought up in that environment as my husband at the time his mother is a alcoholic and he was in and out of care as a child , so I can understand where you are coming from regarding alcohol, we have see a lot family members in that position. I hope you get things sorted out with your medication, have you considered trying other antidepressants or is it something that you would prefer to stay away from.

All the best,

Loraine

• Posted

Hi loraine i know youre post was not for me. But want to say hope u get well soon. There definately is a brain chemical familial link to dependence in my family. My older brother was first a cannabis user in the 80's then swapped one dependance for another. Heroin , l.s.d. alchohol now overuse of prescription drugs xxx

• Posted

Ive tried a variety of different antidepressants. Hated how they made me feel. So i could never stick to them. Then i thought i best try other things to help me. Excersise, therapy etc. But i am my own worst enemy and i keep 'falling off the wagon'. Xx

• Posted

Isnt it so hard.... i miss getting dressed up going out socially, dancing the night away. Being a singer.. but i cant do it. I just cant!!! Its not that i feel alone im ok with my own company even when my daughter is at her dads i cant go out as im not daft i cant have just a couple. I am so much fun too. I also didnt dink at all from 17-27 & equally had great nites but now as i suffer more with anxiety going to a pub and ordering a j20 just seems pointless xxx

• Posted

It sucks doesn't it! I dread going out nowadays, and it makes me anxious planning an outfit, hoping i look OK in it etc. I'm also in fear of making a fool of myself as this has happened too many times. I do aim to be more incontrol though. And fitter and healthier lol xxx

• Posted

Hi amamda35274

I wss read the posts whrre were discussing the affect alcoholism effects us and our families, I agree with you about there being a chemical imbalance, I gind it hard to explain whst i mean but the way you said it is exactly what I mean and the wsy it affects our lives as well as there's, I hope you are feeling well today.

Take care

Loraine

• Posted

Im a little anxious but not too bad thanks loraine xx hope yr ok too? & yes its a very bad illness that affects the sufferer & the family and loved ones too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.