With every flare do you all go on antibiotics?

Posted , 6 users are following.

With every flare do you all go on antibotics each and every time? I think stomach issues messes with our emotions and is very depressing! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No i don't go on antibiotics every time I first go two days in fluids only and if the pain etc starts settling down then great if not by the 3 day I then go on antibiotics but I do try and go without .

• Posted

I get fed up as lately it doesn't seem to go away, I do have a Drs appointment in March not sure what he will say.

They don't always prescribe antibiotics unless you've a temperature etc so I manage without unless given them.

• Posted

My GI nurse said that some of her patients go on a clear liquid diet when they feel it starting and are sometimes able to avoid antibiotics.  
  • Posted

If I start to get symptoms I slow my food intake way down and if no improvement, go on the liquid diet. ONly when it becomes bad do I get on antis.
  • Posted

If I have a fever, yes.  I have refused to take the Flagyl.  It messes with my whole mental state - I take a large dose of amoxicillin - I think 500Mg.  God bless my doctor as he will prescribe a "just in case" amount and trust me to take it as needed.  I would call him to check in if I get another flare and see what he would like me to do.  I've had several CT scans and would like to try to not get another if I can avoid it.  

• Posted

I had to stop the Flaygy for the exact same reasons I took it for 5 full days and that was all I could take SO I took 10 days of 500mgs of Bactrim.
    • Posted

Was you CT Scans close together?

• Posted

No, not close together but every time I went to hospital, they did a CT - prob once a year.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.