Moms COPD progressing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Mom is 75 & has had COPD for 10 years.Had her to ER last week .Heart rythym off and pulse 75-154 and sats around 88 with oxygen.Any advice is appreciated..we are all concerned.

Thankyou

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My mom passed a little over a week ago from this horrible disease. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure maybe 6 months ago, and she was getting worse at that time. Has she been diagnosed with congestive heart failure yet? Usually a person with copd will eventually end up with chf. Her sats and heart rhythm may be due to her heart. What did the ER doctor say?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it. No CHF yet but with her heart rythym, I suspect the heart is being taxied.ER doctor stated the same.

Probably due to lack of oxygen these are the outcomes we can expect, right?They are giving her the Holter monitor for 48 hrs..So I'm sure something will be identified then

Tonya I'm so sorry to hear of losing your Mom,so hard to watch our loved ones succumb too. Sending hugs

• Posted

I wanted to answer you yesterday, but I have several questions. I am 73 with COPD and my last hospital stay was over 8 months ago. My copd medicines are mostly all by nebulizer. I feel it works better and longer than the hand held inhailers? I take 2 long acting (12) hours twice a day, along with 2 every 4 hours and I have a albutarol inhailer I take with me when I leave the house. I am on 2 liters of 02 everynight and as needed through the day. Your mom must try and keep the 02 stats up! I have whats called an acupello that I force my breaths into expecially when my 02 goes down. (I can bring my 02 up even with a 86 reading by using this tool) I need much more excerise than I get.

Do you have a finger pulse ox for her to use and check sats often? The steriods hardly work for me now? I am on 250mg of zithromyacin every day. I feel this has helped more than anything to prevent a hospital stay. I hope you answer me and that I have been of some help. (Maybe we can help each other?) Tell your mom I know how she feels and I do so wish her well.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.And yes your reply was very helpful. Mom does have a finger pulse/oz so we can monitor her. I agree nebulizing your inhalers works more effectively..Take care and I will send your well wishes💕

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I too am a retired RN but my years were spent with long tern health care residents. Sorry if I came across too strong. It was not my intend and of course I know a Doctor is to be the one that suggests these things. I also think a good nurse can get needed orders from Doctors before a patient or someone else. I too agree Doctors are extremely busy. Many doctors lean on Nurses for some ideas. I too believe forums like this and message boards are very important, for support, and even ideas that others use or have used. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 09, and the Colon Club has been a tremendous help for that.

I will stay in touch but it sounds like you are on top of everything. smile

• Posted

Hi Grace~ I totally understand the medical advice being in the hands of the professional(s)..as others have posted as well.

Just good tips and scenarios are priceless at this point.

I can't count the number of times a patient taught me a better way, just from user knowledge ya know.

Plus hearing different people's journeys help me face reality.It really helps me prepare for when the time comes.

When your the daughter and the nurse in the family,a lot rests on your shoulders(I wouldn't have it any other way..I'm sure you as well..it's what we do)

But reality and being prepared to help my Dad & siblings is what I so need from the scenarios posted here.

Would love to stay in touch...Have a awesome day Grace🌺

• Posted

Thank you and I totally understand what you are saying even

in this case the patient is me. My daughter too is the one to take

charge, if I can't do it myself. She has been taught the 02 as well

or better than me! I am in the US and have studied some

treatments that are more advanced and helping patients much

better. Our FDA is far behind when it comes to stem cells? also

the Coil treatments. We have 5 stem cell clinics in the US but not

covered by insurance? I have spoken with 2 patients of stem

cell treatments and they are so pleased with the treatments. I would do it too, but I don't have the money. Our FDA is not

even doing trials?

We do what we can I suppose. Nice conversing with you.

• Posted

Any advice on your Moms sistuation should come directly from a medical professional.

Heart rythym, pulse and sats can change, day to day hour to hour.

What you may want to ask about is achieving stable Heart rythm, pulse and sats.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.I am a retired ER nurse and agree with your concerns with sats etc.

Although I have many years of experience in health care,when it's your own family it's difficult to see everything as you would with a patient.

Drs are awesome but very busy these days,and the wisdom in forums like this are extremely helpful..tidbits are huge for all of us.

I would never hold anyone responsible for my Mothers care or decisions on any forum..but the wealth of info here is priceless,and am very grateful to all who reply when your losing someone you love..Thanks to all of you for your input💕

• Posted

When it comes to a life or death situation and where extremely concerned, a medical professional is the one to converse with.  In UK we have the NHS 111.

Of course a forum is a place where people share experiences and help support others but as far as proper care and medical advice is concerned for individuals and where not seeking professional advice could be in detriment to the patient, of course such advice should come from a medical professional.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.