Citilopram 8 weeks in and depression is returning. Is this normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on citilopram 20mg for 8 weeks now. The first few weeks were horrible due to the side effects but I started sleeping better and about 4 weeks in I felt like things were improving...

I'm 8 weeks in now and over the past 2 weeks I can feel myself slipping again. My sleep pattern is terrible again and I have lost motivation. 

Is his normal ? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

I feel your pain I'm the exact same and do r know what's going on, god you double your dose?, take any vitamins with the meds, I'm defo thinking of coming off altogether and telling my doctor this

Gary

• Posted

I've been on 20mg from the start... 2 weeks were horrible... then had a few weeks feeling a bit better, now I feel I'm sinking again.

i don't take anything else but try and eat well.

im back at the doctors next week so I'll talk to him.

• Posted

Hi there. I replied to your hours ago but doesn't appear to have posted!

i have been on cit for 3 months for anxiety which came out of the blue somewhat! First two weeks at 10, then 20. After 4 weeks I felt like my normal self again after the worst side effects ever! I then got the dreaded girlie monthlies and got the anxiety back again. It seems that every time I get my period, I get all angsty for a good couple of weeks and then it dies down again.  I was increased to 30mg two weeks ago, suffered again through side effects and am now almost back to normal again although I still wake up with a nervy tummy!  I don't know how old you are obviously but mine might be peri menopause as that can cause anxiety and a whole host of issues.  Shoot me now!!!  

Some people takes months to get better, others a couple of weeks. It's very disheartening and I sometimes think GP's really don't know what to do except shove pills at us! X

• Posted

I'm 44 and have an implant which means I don't have periods... my situation also hit me like a train and I had a total melt down in January. Though with hindsight it's been coming for a while. 

Thats my worry about an increase in dose...the side effects floored me for a couple of weeks.

• Posted

I was given diazepam to help with the side effects. I did have to take a few but only when really bad. I have had one or two off and on since then!  

Its very hard to know what to do to be honest. I know it works as have felt great so I can't figure out why I went back downhill again uNless it is all hormone related, who knows!  

What side effects did you get? X

• Posted

Extreme tiredness, upset tummy, hot flushes and loss of appetite

When I felt it was working it was like someone lifting the clouds a bit. 

A few weeks ago my hubby paid for me to join my daughter on a dream holiday later this year... I was so excited... not I feel no excitement about it at all even though it's top of my bucket list.

• Posted

Yes I had all those too. I've lost 1.5 stone and really can't afford to do that!

i know what you mean, when it worked it was a wow moment!! Can't understand why it's come back to be honest.

im due to fly to America at the beginning of April but the thought of spending hours on the plane full of anxiety is not appealing at all.  X

• Posted

Yes I've lost over a stone too... but I needed to to be honest. 

My daugter is backpacking round south east Asia and I'm meeting her in Borneo to see the orangoutangs... it's a lifelong dream... I know my depression is still here because I don't feel excited about it... 

I've been reading other posts on here and I think I have to accept that this is a journey.. it took a long time to end up where I am now so I guess I shouldn't expect a quick fix,.. it's just that I could feel the improvement and thought I'd be back on trac and back to work etc... I'm dissapointed that this isn't the case 

• Posted

Wow, that sounds amazing !!  I'm sure you will be back to normally by then. 

No, I expected a quick fix and it certainly isn't. It's damn frustrating and you do end up thinking will I ever get better. At one point I really thought I would be taken away!!! I felt so awful it was unbelievable.  

I guess if it was a broken leg, it would take weeks to fix and people see that. If it's a broken mind, it's going to also take time to fix but people can't see that or, a lot of the time, understand it.  Blimey, I don't understand it!!

Have you read the thread on here called 'anyone not had any side effects on citalopram'. It's very good and kept me sane to be honest. I ended up reading the whole thing, 140 odd pages and, I guess, as people got better, they disappeared but some still help us newbies out. Have a read, it might help a bit x

• Posted

Hi ,

I've been feeling like you for over 8 yrs tried lots if different meds alongside diazapam. Had lots of good periods and lots and lots and lots of anxiety filled low points. The wife and kids are a fantastic distraction but sometimes a little overwhelming. Started citalopram 2 weeks ago and not sure how I feel yet, as took them alongside xanax until last couple of days and felt great but been very nervous since. All I can say is it is going to be your hardest battle, positive thinking and keeping busy helps but be prepared for the long haul. Good luck and best wishes

• Posted

I stopped it. Was on 20mg. This day 3 no Citolopram. Very intrusive thoughts was starting to bawl an no motivation. Was on it 6wks . Psychiatrist stopped it an now on day 2 of 37.5mg Venaflaxine or Effexor. This will be drug #8 for me. Some dizziness. Eye twitch to. Goodluck.
  • Posted

Hi fr US. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but I quit actually 20mg Citolopram 3 daays ago. Put on Effexor XR 37.5 x 1 a day. First one wk on 10mg then 6 wks at 20mg on Cit. Had to take at night. It made me sleepy. The whole time no motivation, lethargic, wanting carbs, layin around, dreading doing anything! Uggg... then obtrusive thoughts started last 2 wks. Suicidal ones!! Wt!! I called immediately my psychiatrist. She said stop an try the Effexor. Effexor is my 8th med to try. Everyone diff. I just couldn't tske Citolopram. Iv got alot of stress in my life. Caregiver for 81 yr old parent's an married an 2 teen sons. Been dealing with GAD coming up since 2014 an depression since started menopause in Nov 2014. Iv had anxiety since a kid we figured out. Stomach aches, joint pain, biting nails an skin on side till bleed. All testing normal. Then another MAJOR event happened in 2000, our daughter died an I began (didnt realize it) using Tramadol as a antidepressant anti-anxiety drug! Took it for over 8 yrs. Began abusing it (not embarrassed to admit. At least I sought help) ended up in detox facility for 5 days. Then started on my first antidepressant Zoloft in May 2014. Sick, sick sick. Switched to Lexapro. Tired tired eating nothing mentally. Then Cymbalta. I have fibromyalgia so helped with pain but NOT blood pressure! Sky high. I dont have high blood pressure. Then Prozac. HORRIBLE NEVER AGAIN. Then Nothing for couple months. Very depressed an yelling at everyone. So tried Cymbalta again. Sooo tired on it. Again stopped. Wellbutrin XL next. Nope. Rage! Then Lamictal (im not bi-polar) sick for 2 days like flu. Then Celexa. Now Effexor. A little dizziness coming off Celexa or Citolopram an onto Effexor. Nauseated a little. Anxiety to. I have 0.5mg Klonapine (longer acting anti-anxiety med) im on day 3. I just hope this one works!. If you have a gut feeling this isn't for you, go to Dr an talk. Exercises an journaling can help. Im having a bit of insomnia now but hopefully leaves! Goodluck

Zio

• Posted

Hi Zio,

​firstly very sorry for your loss, continuing after a loss like that is testimont to you itself. I took venaflaxine for 8 yrs and i felt it helped, but it is a anti depressant and i have an anxiety disorder so it never assisted with that but i generally felt good. However trying to come off the meds is the hardest thing, i felt like a drug addict. shakes, dizziness, intrusive thoughts etc...I found that with my condition talking to a professional CBT therepist works as there are various techniques to help. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.