pmr and green tea ??????????

Posted , 11 users are following.

is it coincidece  or not,  i am on  my second week of drinking green  5/6 cups per day. and not a pain in my body  not even  the lower back pain  which i have been complaining about for weeks,   i went for a shoulder injection on  tuesday this week so that will cancel the shouder pain out.  i still prefer  my yorkshire tea  for taste, but if  gren tea is sorting  my pain out. i will stick to it.  any comennts      i have posted this  a coupke of minutes since but  didnt go through,

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wish it was so simple.😏  I've been drinking green tea (with ginger) for weeks with only very slight improvement.  Psychological?  Could be!

• Posted

Yes, I have also, and did not make much difference with discomfort in my lower back and shoulders.
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, 

All my pains disappeared after my shoulder injection, and I remained pain free for 8 weeks but then they all returned. I then started oral prednisolone. Although I have now been off medication for a year I still drink the flavoured green teas.

• Posted

Never tried it! Really doesn't appeal - but I suppose I need to try!!

• Posted

Quick google showed this article published as a press release last year:

"Scientists have identified a compound in green tea that could be used to treat the joint pain, inflammation, and tissue damage caused by rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Their study, “Regulation of Transforming Growth Factor b–Activated Kinase 1 Activation by Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate in Rheumatoid Arthritis Synovial Fibroblasts,” was published in the journal Arthritis & Rheumatology".

The work has been done in a mouse model for RA - which may or may not transfer to humans. But there is probably something there.

But whatever - if it works, that's what matters. Of course, I do have to add, PMR can go into remission at any time...

• Posted

Hi Pauline, don't want to be a debbie downer but like yourself I had a cortisone injection in my left shoulder and even though I was on a low dose of 3mg pred, I got ease all over my muscles, I could walk without the pain and stiffness in major thigh muscles, I was great getting in and out of the car and what was brilliant was the absence of pain.  Oh I could just live like this forever.  But alas and alac after a while the sore/stiffness came back to what it was like before the injection.

Personally I put it down to the injection of cortizone in my shoulder, going through my whole system, it was great when it lasted.  I take green tea and there is no change in my sore/stiffness.  Good luck and may it last for you.  Regards Pat

• Posted

Hmm - sounds like a slightly higher dose of oral pred is called for! 

It is actually not uncommon for patients to be diagnosed like that - they get a steroid shot for a bad shoulder - and realise that a load of other aches and pains have gone too!

• Posted

Oh Eileen I am so so reluctant to up my pred.  I'm being silly I know, when I am walking for a short while  (shopping) I am fine.  It's only when I have been sedentary which is most days (due to very low energy) not sleepy, just low energy and with living with ME/cfs for 16 years, I don't know which is which ME/PMR low energy.  When I am sitting I am fine and when I am walking I am fine, it's just the inbetween part (getting up and down or in and out of the car).  If I was to increase pred, I really wouldn't know how much to increase.  I have been on 3mg from July 2016.  Your comments would be welcome.  Thank you in advance.

• Posted

Just try 1mg more and see if it helps. Then another if it doesn't. Just see how you get on - you want to be as you were after that injection at the lowest possible pred dose. There is no virtue in not taking enough to do that - you have to have the benefits to balance the downsides of pred. Maybe it won't work - but I think you need to try it.

What you are doing at present is what I had to do for 5 years of PMR without pred. The first 5 mins after standing up were awful - and without the trochanteric bursitis I was otherwise not too bad once moving although there was always a degree of pain. I went to an aquafit class in a warm pool every day - afterwards I could move fairly well. But I have to say - it took a lot of time and I permanently smelled of swimming pool! Pred is much easier to achieve the same result - only better!

• Posted

I am going to try 4mg from tonight.  I set my alarm for 11.57pm every night - I'm always up at that time and take my pred then.  I'll see how I go for a week and if  I'm still experiencing discomfort, then I will go to 5mg the week after.  I am being silly, it's as if I wear a badge of honour for getting down to 3mg,  Big Deal, who cares really, by talking with you I now realise that I have been dumb as well as suffering discomfort lol.  Oh deary me, I need a good shaking lol.  Will update as and when.  Many thanks and really appreciate your input.  Pat

• Posted

Pat, exactly what happened to me, too.  Injection in my shoulder, and the cortizone went through my system.  I felt fine.....but only so long.

I was hoping that green tea would help, but it did not.sad

• Posted

Oh Dear Erika wasn't it just brilliant when we just felt good with the absence of pain/discomfort.  If we could only have that same injection once a week lol or once a month.  I live in hope for remission but at the same time noting that  it could be much worse.  Take Care

• Posted

Hi Pat, I agree with Eileen in that you just need to balance the good and bad of prednisolone to get the best results for you. unfortunately for me prednisolone affected my bones and. I developed osteoporosis within 8months of taking prednisolone ( apparently bone loss is more rapid in the first 6 months of starting prednisolone) and you are past that stage now also your experience of fatigue also suggests your waiting for your adrenal glands to wake up.....the solution is the same for PMR and adrenal insufficiency...more prednisolone or at the very least do not reduce yet until the lethargy/ fatigue subsides. At this stage I used the reduction plan in reverse and increased by 10% ..Not exact I know in your case taking 3mg and tablets do not come in such sensitive doses but 0.5mg is doable. Remember it is always easier to go up than down. In my experience keeping active,diet changes , calcium supplements and vit k2 have been my saviour to date for both my PMR and secondary osteoporosis but will let you know how I get on after my 2nd Dexa scan.

try not to worry you will havegood days and bad days until you find a route that works for you . Just know that everyone here understands what you are going through and will be here when you most need them x

• Posted

Hi, Handbrake, I upped my 3mg of pred to 4mg  just last night, so it's too early to tell if it is enough just yet.  Like yourself I also have osteoporsis, the lumbar T score was - 3.7 and 0.9 my left hip.  I will never know if this was due to pred., as my Dexa Scan was only just carried out last year, even though I requested one at the beginning, I was told my the Rheumie I would have a scan further down the line.  I eat a healthy diet, very little carbs, I don't really have an appetite (12 years or more) I take Vitamin B, Vit D and k2, and calcuim.  I eat oily fish about twice a week.  I am not that active, low energy levels, either due to ME/cfs or PMR or both.  I hope to go a walk when the weather turns better, I go with my son because I have to stop every now and again due to my left calf pulling, it used to be both calves but my whole left side is weaker than the right so need to get that sorted out with a visit to gp, whenever I get around to it.  Everything is a chore when I don't have a lot of energy.

Thank God I am not a worrier, I take everything in my stride, and never lose a night's sleep.  I just zone out quite a lot lol.

Thank you for your kind words and do let us all know the results of your Dexa Scan.  Regards Pat

• Posted

Sorry to be a misery guts, but I have been drinking only organic, decafinated green tea for the last 3.5 years and it has had no effect whatsoever on my pmr stiffness, pain and exhaustion at all. In fairness, I also have arthritis in my hip and spine, so perhaps it is that causing my pain discomfort. Currently on 8.5 pred but have been as high as 20 and there is no difference to the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.