One year on.

Posted , 9 users are following.

It was my hippy anniversary on the 17th of this month and I had my year check at the hospital this morning. One x-ray later and chat with the consultant, everything fine.  Have to see someone every year for the next 15yr to keep a check on it.

Must admit the first few weeks were not good and the lying on the back for 11 weeks was so difficult but it has been so worth it. No pain, more mobility.  I can go walking with no trouble. Did 14 mile one day was knackered but not with the hip, did have lots of sit downs though.

Went through all the emotions, even grieving for the bit they took away, cried loads, two steps forward one back, the lot. 

But my quality of life has totally changed. If you need it, get it done, I feel absolutely great.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations Lynn! I hope I feel the same way at one year. Thanks for admitting it is hard and emotional. Ugh! 
    • Posted

Thank you Barbara, I'm sure you will, just do everything your told to do and rest plenty, sleep during the day when you need to. Some people can sleep no problem but a lot find it difficult.

• Posted

Congratulations on your successful outcome. I found having a replacement hip gave me a new lease of life when it seemed to have hit the buffers!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thank you, it does make a huge difference, you gain your life back, don't you?

• Posted

That's so good to hear! I too found the nights were rubbish for the first six weeks, but now I'm 7 months, and I feel like a new woman!

• Posted

It's great isn't it, I'm still careful though with it, don't want to pop it, though my musles are a lot stronger now.

• Posted

That's so good to hear, congratulations.

I'm just 7 weeks down the line and my next check up is at 6 months.

Already I feel like a new woman, able to walk pain and limp free.

If I ever have to have my other hip done I'd have no second thoughts. Thankfully that hips ok at moment.

For me its been a miracle cure 😊

• Posted

That's really good, only 7 weeks and not limping.  I used my stick until 11 weeks because I was told if your still limping, keep using it. I just wonderd if it's because I limped for years before and the musles were weak.

Me too, I've had a couple of days where the other played up but I wouldn't hesitate in getting it done if the pain got too bad.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I'm still using a stick but I think it more for my confidence when I go out as I don't use it in the house.

I was also limping before the op because my bad leg was about 1cm shorter than my good leg. Since the op my legs are now the same length which is wonderful.

• Posted

Ah right, well keep up the good work, nice they both the same size.  I seem to have lost an inch in height, was gutted when they told me I 5ft 6 lol don't know if that's any thing to do with the hip though.

• Posted

Gosh Lynn,

It's frustrating that we have to go through everything pre and post op, let alone being 1 inch shorter. If the doctor made you 1" shorter, he/she should also take off the weight to maintain your height/weight ratio! 😘

• Posted

That's interesting about your height Lynne. The same happened to me. Before my op I had to go for a bone density scan where they measured my height. I've always been about 5 foot 9 inches and I was now 5' 6". I was convinced that now my legs are the same length and I can now stand up straight and even if be back to my old height of 5'9"

I was wrong I'm still shorter.

I don't understand it.

• Posted

I should also say on the positive... I've lost nearly a stone in weight which is good.

• Posted

That is good! ( And at least you were nice and tall to start with!)
    • Posted

That's interesting because when I recently saw a surgeon about a revision for a total ankle replacement on my right ankle and he picked up on my left leg which had a hip replacement twenty years ago was one cm longer than my right leg and I had no idea!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

It's strange how our height and leg length changes.

What do they do when we're under the anaesthetic????

• Posted

Wasn't the doc who did it, I just shrunk before the op lol

• Posted

Yes, well that's why I asked to get measured again, could of sworn I was standing taller again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.