"Just" Anxiety??

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the last month, my life has completely changed and it seems to have come from nowhere, I had a random panic attack and ended up at a&e thinking I was having a heart attack, in fact, about 3 times I've turned up to the emergency department thinking the worst, each time they do an ECG and tell me I'm fine it's all down to anxiety.. I seem to have got over the fact my heart isn't a problem but I'm having horrible physical symptoms as well.. the most annoying/scary one is the internal vibrations, I notice them mostly when I'm trying to relax and I feel as though I can hear humming in my head.. does anyone else have this? If so do we know what's actually causing it?? I've had blood tests done and currently waiting for results for thyroid function test I just find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause so many physical symptoms, I get neck pain, back pain, chest pain and arm pains, plus a general weak feeling. My doctor prescribed me last week with citalopram because I was feeling down and the side affects were awful the first few days, my mood is defeintly better but I'm still feeling the physical stuff..

Anyone else with similar experiences? I could do with some reassurance as it's driving me crazy sad will it ever end?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Chelsey you are not alone ive had it all i also have underactive thyroid which im in medication for i take 10 mg citrilopram for feeling low been on them 3 months i still get anxious days but not has bad here if u wanna chat x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply x does help knowing others go through the same as selfish as that sounds!

How long did it take for the citalopram to kick in? It's helping my mood slightly after 1 week but does it help the physical symptoms at all? X

• Posted

Yes, I had sounds ,lost balance and had vision problems just to find out I am fine and it's just anxiety disorder. I don't find it odd but just never knew it goes to this extent. I have always panicked for every thing but I had a reason. Small or big, it is scary to just. Try to relax when all is fine and there isn't anyone running after u and start feeling ur heart beating and for some reason u are not at peace. I am on cipralex and I feel OK now and try to help myself understanding better this problem and how best to deal. Hope u find a way out but firstly DBT panic about it. U only make it worse and I believe there is a way out. Good luck,😀

• Posted

You will learn to manage it over time. It doesnt stay in the acute stage forever. Doing nothing will prolong it and progress it. Therapy is very helpful with this disorder. You really need to be able to talk thru a lot of what your going through. This is not just anxiety. Thats a term for those who never had a panic attack. It will calm down.
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa, there is a light at the end of the tunnel then. I can't imagine feeling like this forever and it has come on so quickly.. I'm awaiting therapy but there is a 2 month waiting list on the NHS, may look into private therapy I'm willing to try anything to help. Thanks again for the advice x

• Posted

Anxiety throws so many horrible physical symptoms at you. But try not to dwell or focus on them as this just feeds the anxiety.

Last year when i had really high anxiety , i had all the above symptoms and more dizzyness and vision was worse for me.

But after i had done tonnes of research into what , when , and why ?? this was happening. 

I learnt to try as best to ignore and not give them thought space.

Eventually they subside and then go away. At first other symptons used to appear .. really testing my strength but i also learnt to accept it.. and retrain my brain to not to react in a negative way.

Not easy but practice practice practice was the key.

I am 95% better now and i still do the mindful meditation and mantra's etc.

I have been following studies done by Oxford University and UCLA health in mindfulness. And their studies show that after 8  weeks there is a 50% improvement in people who kept it up daily.

I hope you get some respite soon and hope your journey to full recovery is speedy xxx

• Posted

Hi chelsey1992x,

welcome and hope you don't suffer too long.

"Just anxiety" occurs when some adjustment is required internally in the way we treat ourselves. "Just anxiety" can feel like death itself. "Just anxiety" is potent. It is designed to make you so uncomfortable that you absolutely HAVE to do something about it and, in doing so, a lot of growth and adjustment occurs - physically and psychologically/emotionally/practically.

Yes, It often starts 'out of the blue' with no obvious (at a first glance) cause. Once physical contributors like thyroid function, iron levels, diet and lifestyle (including some medication, supplements, alcohol, stimulants and recreational drugs), adequate rest, certain medical conditions and possible hormonal shifts are evaluated and no physical cause is detected...then it is written off as 'just anxiety'. No worries and pay no attention to 'just'. It can feel very very phhysical. And the great news is that once you reign it in, you will come out better for it. This is what I wish for you and everyone on here. smile

"the most annoying/scary one is the internal vibrations, I notice them mostly when I'm trying to relax and I feel as though I can hear humming in my head.. does anyone else have this? If so do we know what's actually causing it?? "

What causes this sensation is extreme tension and daily overload. Anxiety makes you more tuned in to your internal processes that one normally does not notice. It magnifies what is going on making various sensations quite overwhelming and certainly frightening over time. The vibrations and hums you feel is your overwrought nervous system and musculature reeling from onslaught of cortisol and adrenaline. In other words? JUST ANXIETY LOL. This specific sensation is very helpful because it shows you exactly how high-strung you are. How exhausted and how much need there is to take better care of yourself. Start looking for things that exhaust you needlessly. Declutter. Ways in which you have not been taking care of yourself? Overstimulation? Understimulation? Things you are worried about, conscious and subconscious? Get a massage. Stretch. Have a warm bath. have some chamomile tea or warm milk. Soothe yourself. Swim. Limit unnecessary noise. Eat slowly. Don't sit and listen too long though - do something simple and automated. Start a new hobby. Do things that make you feel better.

If citalopram sits well with you, you will need some time to adjust anyway. You can expect a very gradual lessening of physical symptoms once your brain manages to unwind a little - this will require peak concentration levels of the drug which will take around 6 weeks. The heaviest symptoms will very slowly start to lessen from that point. But it is a very gradual process so look for ways you can improve or simplify your life, improve your diet and so on to help things along while your brain is trying to reboot. Medication does not take away the condition. It provides conditions more conductive to healing. The latter part is done by you. Medicine is there as a wonderful support and when it works for you it will provide you a better balance while you regain control, confidence and a new level of self-awareness.

Talk to people here - they are all truly wonderful and helpful. Relax int the knowing that the hundreds of them here have had all these symptoms you are having and they are still here to tell you - it will be ok. Good luck and feel better soon! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.