Help regarding medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on medication for nerve injuries.

I sustained a nerve injury two weeks ago after my dentist injected straight into a nerve. This has caused pain from the top of my head down to my jaw. All the right side is sore. My ear is inflamed and I feel stinging on the outside and throbbing inside of the ear. 

I also feel a throbbing pain on the side of my head. The procedure the dentist was due to complete was a root canal. The tooth was pain free as the nerve had been removed previously. It is now throbbing which I believe is due to the nerve damage. 

In in addition to these symptoms I have a strange metallic taste in my mouth. Food doesn't seem to taste the same as it did prior to the injury. 

My doctor prescribed me amitryptyline. After two days I could not get out of bed due to the dizziness. I felt sick, my body ached and I had the worse headache I have ever experienced. The doctor advised me to come of amitryptyline due to the symptoms pending a review of blood tests (looking for inflammation). She prescribed me an ear spray (isn't helping). At the next appointment she will consider putting me on an alternative medicine.

I was just wondering what people would recommend in terms of long term medication for nerve pain?

Does anyone know of any good creams that would assist in my pain relief? At present I am only using ibuprofen.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you been back to your dentist or to a different dentist!
    • Posted

No way would I go back to that dentist!  I would be seeing a good oral surgeon or possibly an ENT.
    • Posted

I haven't been back to the dentist as of yet. I'm due back on the 2nd March. As Margot49 says I'm reluctant to have any further work carried out by the dentist. I certainly don't want any further injections in that area.

• Posted

Really, I think I would see a good oral surgeon.  If you don't know one, try a Googke search for your area to get some names then look up reviews.  I don't know what you can do.  I do know, some years ago, a girl hit a nerve in my arm when doing a blood test.  It really hurt the next day and I called them.  They apologized but said there wasn't much I could do other then put ice on it.  It hurt pretty bad for 3-4 days and was still sore fir a week or more.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.