Should I take anti anxiety medications?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I finally went and saw a psychologist after a bunch of tests from my doctor to make sure my symptoms are really just in my head. She told me I should start medication and even meds for ADHD. Do they really help? And do the side effects outweigh the benefits? I'm thinking about asking for buspar too because it's not an SSRI, does anyone have experience with the drug? I'm sick of always feeling wrong all the time.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is a personal choice. Sit down with yourself and make a list of pros and cons then do what you feel is the best thing for you. Rememeber if you go and seek out help it does work better if you accept that help. You are indecisive but that doesnt mean you are wrong all the all the time. I would lean to yes in the adhd meds maybe that will really help you think things properly thru in the future. And anxiety and adhd do tend to go hand in hand.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm going to talk to the psychologist next week and see what's on the table. The anxiety isn't as bad as it was before (thank god) but sometimes it feels like it's too much.

• Posted

Hey I'm taking buspar 10mg twice day. Because it only stays in your system 12 hours. It's not addictive as SSRI and my only side effect was drowsiness. But I got used to it another a while. It's takes a couple weeks to feel the full benefits of buspar but overall I rate it about 9. It's helping I've been on it about 3 months. Sometimes it's prescribed with an antidepressant because it doesn't stay in the system that long

• Posted

Thank you for your response, my doctor said good things about it but I needed to hear about it from someone who used it.
  • Posted

Hi juan

I think it is somethong you will have to think about yourself. If your not comfortable with taking a certain drug .. It could make you more anxious thinking about taking it.

So you will have to work out wethér you are confident in taking them.

Last year when the anxiety was high for me my doctor who knew me through work , gave me diazapam to help break the cycle or pattern i had got in , constantly being anxious.

They were a very small dose and he said i could take up to 3  a day... I felt so nervous about taking them that i only used 3 in over two weeks because i broke them into 4  little pieces not enough to make any difference really. i only took one tiny peice each morning. now wether it was the thought that they were breaking the cycle or whatever i dont know but i felt calmer.

I still have them in my draw but havent had any since Decemeber.

And thankfully dont feel the need.

So as i say .. if you want the meds go for it.. accept the help and follow it through if thats want you want. But if you dont thats fine too.

I hope you find the right answer for you xx good luck 

• Posted

My biggest problem right now is that my last big panic attack was in my mind caused by my albuterol medication so I subconsciously attribute all medication to that feeling. I know it's irrational and not true but I can't help it sometimes

• Posted

We are all different, whatever your Doctor decides run with it
    • Posted

That is what i do - whatever my GP & Psychiatrist prescribed me i take , fortunately i haven't yet had aside effect from AD's & Anxiety tablets ( Pregabalin ) , Diazepam i can ask either GP or my Psychiatrist for a few at a time as i use those prior to appointment with the Psychiatrist , Sometimes it can take time to find the right medication , the right dosage , etc that suits us .

• Posted

I personally didn't have a good experience with buspar. It worked initially. But I began to notice increased heart palpitations. To the point I had to wear a Holter monitor. I was having them some before buspar. But I also wasn't on my lexapro either. Now my lexapro is back in my system and I was still having increased palps. One day I forgot my buspar. Made it until around 2pm. Realized I hadn't had any palps. So didn't take it at all that day. I've been without it for 4 days and I've only had them here and there. Maybe 3 total (usually when I eat something processed too for whatever reason, so I've been eating healthier to see if it helps and it does) however, even though the palps have stopped. The general feeling of uneasiness and tension is creeping back. Even with the lexapro. I can't take vistaril because it does the same thing. So I'm not sure where to turn next. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.