Is it ok to have a Margarita while on the Fentanyl patch - 25 mcg?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on Percocet for last 5 yrs for back pain. On my 3rd day on Fentanyl patch 25 mcg. Have felt no side effects except itching on 1st night. Question: Can I have my usual Friday night Margarita while on the Fentanyl patch? It says on the insert in the box not to drink Alcohol while on them. I have had alcohol while on Percocet and

had no problems. Is it okay with Fentanyl? Has anyone tried this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure you are not supposed to because you could get very sleepy but I was on the patch for 17 years and yes at times I drank way way too much. Can't say I had any abnormal consequences. Obviously you may get drunk a lot faster. The problem we all had with fentanyl is it doesn't last 3 days you start to go through withdrawal on the third day. Then the docs give you a higher dose which makes the third day withdrawal even worse. Then I was put on a 48 hour change. This helped. I still would have breakthrough pain and took Vicodin. When I learned about fentanyl and how bad it is I wanted off. Like others I did it on my own and went through a horrendous time. It's been 4 months and still suffering with restless legs and sleepless nights. I will say when o first went on I thought it was the best thing. Just be careful and use minimal dose. Do some research on this stuff

• Posted

Hi, I've been on various opiates since I broke my back in 1991. I've always drank on them. Doctors have been aware but have always said be careful. The strength of the drink can affect you quicker you see. When I was diagnosed with syringomyelia in 2009 as well, I was put on gabapentin- then I noticed that alcohol affected me a lot more and I'd get drunk. It wasn't great. Then when I was prescribed fentanyl on top about 3yrs ago I noticed that I could hardly drink at all- I can't have cocktails as they go straight to my head. I limit my intake now. I will perhaps have 1-2 glasses of wine with a meal and that's it. But I hardly drink at all now cos of it - there doesn't seem to be a period of 'tipsiness/drunkness' - I just get ill straight away, so no point. But you will probably be ok with just one drink - you can only try - perhaps see what you're like on 1/2 of it first??

Ps no idea what Percocet is though.

Hope x

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Fentanyl is a very strong medicine and it is unwise to mix alcohol with it,you are making the strength of it unknown and it could make you have symptoms that are not good. I'm on 75 ml of fentanyl and loved my drink on a daily basis,I wouldn't attempt to drink with it. It also will prohibit the fentanyl doing its job and you won't get the benefit. Hope this doesn't sound like your school teacher. Regards David. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.