citalopram 20mg afraid to take them?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I was prescribed 20mg of citalopram for anxiety which was brought on by worrying about my 5yr old son, I also have intrusive thoughts with this and have started cbt but am so worried about taking the citalopram as I have never taken anything like this before, have these helped anybody thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was just the same as you but my daughters pointed out that people take all sorts of medication for all sorts of things to help them. This could be for heart, blood pressure, cholesterol to name but 3. Why therefore should I not take something to help me? I am on 20mg and after 7 weeks I am feeling a great deal better. I still get the horrid nervous tummy when I wake each morning but even that is not as bad as it was. My anxiety does vary from day to day.

The side effects may be tricky to start with but then again you may be lucky and have minimal effects.

It is obviously your decision but your GP has prescribed so he should really know best.

Keep us posted and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying to me, what side affects did you experience? I am thinking of taking 10mg to start with
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

The first time I started on 10mg and then up to 20mg. I felt sick for the first few days but got through with drinking ginger ale! I had hot flashes down my arms which frightened me but it passed after a while.

This time has been quite different. Felt sick again and have had sore throat with cold symptoms and mucus which are all a bit weird but is apparently another side effect. No hot flashes this time unless I do get anxious and this happens anyway.

It's a horrid thing this anxiety but I feel this site really help with support from those who are in the same position.

Have you found the other excellent site Anyone NOT had side effects on Citalopram. Well worth having a read.

• Posted

Thanks I have been looking and there seems to be mixed reviews about it, I probably shouldn't have googled thought, I went to see my doctor yesterday I have the prescription 5 weeks and haven't taken them I was doing cbt first but today has been a bad day for me, he suggested the 10mg first , but say how long before I upped to 20mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.