New to group

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've just found this group, I wish I had found it before my op as it gives a wealth of information. I had my THR on 14th Feb, The operation had been put on hold for about 4 years due to different reasons so I was relieved to have it finally done.

The operation was done under spiinal aneathetic and took 2.5 hours the reason being, I was told afterwards, was due to a trainee surgeon undertaking the operation. Unfortunately the spinal wore off towards the end of the op and the last 10 minutes were very uncomfortable. I was given the option of being put  to sleep but refused due to my sleep aponea.

Regardless of this the nursing staff and physios were brilliant and I felt very positive about my recovery and was discharged 17th Feb.

My problem is since coming home I have slept on and off most of the day. A thing I didn't do in the hospital. I can't even say this is due to pain relief as I have only had the pain meds I was on prior to going into hospital, refusing morphine, again because of my sleep aponea.

Just wondered if others had suffered with this and advise please on how to deal with it.

Also my operated leg seems to be falling outwards when I lay in bed, is this normal?

Thanks confused

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had my hip replacement 5 weeks ago , and yes that happen to me , I was worry about that too , but nice I am so much better , just move it about as much as you can . You will soon feel better in time . Take care

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement victoria and I hope your recovery continues well 

regards chrizzy

• Posted

Hi I found this group really help me , hope it help you too ..good luck
  • Posted

Lack of sleep, or too much seems to be the order of the day, post hip replacement, also anxiety, and depression.  You must try to eat lots of protein, milk, fruit juice, or as much as you can get down, I could barly manage a half cup of anything. You are re-building bone, blood, and muscles so good quality food is a must, not too much junk food.

Exercises - I was given some in hospital, butt clenches, leg flexes, bend knees up and down, even in bed, keep that blood moving, ankle rotations, get someone to moisturise your heels they can get very dry.

Another exercise to do at the bathroom sink, washing hands, dip at your knees, only a little, no more than a couple of inches, each and every time you go, also standing at kitchen sink, do your dips, worked for me.

Operated leg falling out - over stretched and weakened muscles, the exercises do help with healing.  look up post hip replacement exercises there are some very good sites on the internet, watch for the hospital sites.

there is also a you tube video of what they did, very confronting, and horribly gory, was only able to watch a little bit at a time, husband freaked and left room, he was not able to watch it at all.

• Posted

Thank you Lyn for your reply. I seem to be doing more right than I was giving myself credit for regarding the eating and exercise. I will try the additional ones you have recommended.

I have watched the youtube videos to try and match the sounds of the op with the reality. My husband would not be able to stomach it either!!!

Regards Chrizzy

• Posted

Hi and I too slept most of the day when returning home. Never get any rest in the hospital OR while in rehab.The body requires lots of sleep to heal.

As far as leg turning out mine does the same will push sheet or robe or even towel to hold it straight . Otherwise my toes go numb and I get calf muscle cramps.

Take it slow and easy one day at a time and each day holds new healing. Every day is a challenge. It is worth the outcome soon there will be no pain and normal life will return with a better quality of life.

HOPEXXXXXX

• Posted

Hi hope4cure, I will take your advise and not expect to much to soon.

I had back surgery prior to my hip being done and I am anxious to see the results of both operations, perhaps a bit to anxious.

A better quality of life is more than welcome and something I am looking forward to.

regards chrizzy

• Posted

Luck of sleep after hip replecement is normal also depresion. Drink lots of water ,excersice, walk ,rest if you are tired. Eat lots of fruits and good

food. Sleep will come with time. Im 5 months after hip replecement and take me while to get good nignt sleep. Still now some time i wake up few times during night time. Take care

Hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hi madla, my rfeply to you seems to have vanished into space. It was to thank you for taking the time to reply and that I will take your advise on board and work towards a good outcome.

regards chrizzy

• Posted

I got your reply also do some Hydro Therapy that help lots least to me. Hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hi chrizzy

I had a spinal block and morphine made me sick. Coming home I slept a lot too had no appetite and felt very depressed and cried a lot. Everything does start to get better after first couple of weeks. I was worried about my leg flopping out and used a cushion in bed to keep it straight. It takes time and normal routines go out of the window. Sleep when you need it eat when you feel like it. Exercises and moving around are crucial though. Sounds like you are doing fine don't worry but we are all here to support you. Like you wish I had found the forum in the early dark days.

Take care Julie

• Posted

Thank you julie for your reasuring words. I did sleep with my foot supported by a pillow last night. As I have a bad back I have been sleeping  with a pillow under my lower legs also. Not sure if this is the best thing to do I made myself lay completely  flat for part of the night. Oh what i would do for a night laying on my side, bliss!!!!

And ,yes, I beginning to think there is a little low mood and will try and address that so it doesn"t esculate.

regards chrizzy

• Posted

Hi chrizzy

They don't recommend a pillow under lower legs as it messes up circulation. I slept semi upright with about 4 pillows which seemed to work completely flat was just so uncomfortable. And some days I just cried frustration, pain just generally low. It happens it's a huge operation and it really takes its toll emotionally. If you feel blue have a moan on here I certainly understand.

Keep up with those exercises

Julie x

• Posted

Thanks for that advise Julie. I will certainly try sleeping semi upright. And of course continue doing my exercises. Found myself doing them in the early hours this mornng to try and get rid of the discomfort due to laying on my back. 

chrizzybiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.