I had 4 asthma attacks in one day without my inhaler

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I had my first asthma attacks on Friday, it was a frightening experience as they were my first ones. I was going to take my blue reliever inhaler but I found it empty. I didn't know what to do so I just carried on as normal. It went away after a bit so I thought it'll be okay, only to find another one had started! My parents were busy and I didn't want to cause a fuss so I yet again carried on and it went away. Only for it to go through the cycle again! I don't know what to do, I'm worried if it happens again and it gets much worse. By the way I don't have a preventer inhaler just a reliever inhaler.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go to your doctors and tell them what happened ask if you need a preventer inhaler get a blue as well and never never be without one and always carry it with you as what happened could have been very serious regards
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your advice! It is very difficult to get an appointment at my doctors so I will keep trying to get an appointment. What should I do if it happens again and it is worse?
    • Posted

You need to insist you need to see a doctor or if the worst happens go to an out of hours or a&e

• Posted

Hello

Asthma is not to be taken lightly.   If you are having asthma attacks you firstly need to see a GP.   Make an appointment - however long it takes.

If however, you are having an active attack and are concerned as to how you should proceed, ring your surgery and they will see you immediayely if you say you are having an asthma attack.   If the surgery is closed, you need to go to an out-of-hours service (look in your 'phone directory or on-line for further information on these) or, go to A and E.

It seems as if you should always carry your blue reliever inhaler.   I can't comment as to whther you need a preventer inhaler or not but you do need to speak further with medical professionsals about this.

Did you know that 2,000 people die each each through badly managed asthma?   There is nothing to concern you about these statistics IF you treat yourself correctly and it sounds as if you are not - yet!

Please go and make a GP appointment as soon as you can and talk through your symptoms with a doctor.

Wishing you happy breathing!

GrammyBea

• Posted

Re. an A and R visit... they will check your oxygen levels through putting a tiny clip on the outside of your finger (it doesn't hurt one bit.   It checks your 'saturations'wink.   They will then most probably give you an nebuliser.   You sit and breath through a mask for ten minutes or so.   This mask will distribute medicine to you as you breathe and you will soon feel heaps better).   Please don't leave it too long, though!  

You can use 10 doses of blue inhaler one after the other.   If that does not relieve the attack, you need further assistance as above.

Regards

GrammyBea

• Posted

Before I didn't have any medicine because I wasn't diagnosed with asthma yet and it got so bad that an ambulance had to be called. I was wheezing, coughing and starting to turn blue, I was given oxygen and had nebuliser treatment but it wasn't better so I was put on a ventilator as I was getting tired. When I had this asthma attack I thought it would be the same but I didn't tell anyone, the last experience scared me too much! I will try to get an appointment thank u very much!

• Posted

Hi Emilia

I can't quite understand how you were discharged from hospital without your doctor being informed of your problems and him/her then calling you in.   Ditto the hospital not giving you a blue inhaler, at the very least.

Whatever has happened in the past, please try to arrange a GP appointment as soon as you can.   The common problem with asthmatics is that we are often in denial (I know - I am one of them!).   However, that denial can cost us dear.   

Please ensure you have a proper treatment plan so that you know how to manage your symnptoms in the future.

Wishing you a healthy future!

Regards

GrammyBea

• Posted

I went to my GP after getting discharged from the hospital and they referred me to the hospital to get special lung tests and I was diagnosed with asthma. This was when I got a blue inhaler, (after the 'attack'wink . When I had 4 attacks this time I realised that I had left my inhaler at home and I thought it'll be all right, it's not that bad. But when another one started I began to panic but I didn't tell anyone because of the traumatic experience before.

• Posted

Hi Again

you should have been given a treatment plan so you know what to do/expect etc.   You need to know!

Forget your previous experiences.   The important thing is what happens now and in the future.

Please seek a treatment plan from your GP, ensure you always carry a blue inhaler - and know how to use it.   Many many people don't and waste 80% of the medication.

Wishing you well for the future and look forward not backwards.

Regards GrammyBea

• Posted

Thank you ever so much for your help! I will definitely get a review with my asthma nurse, thank you for all the info that you have given me! Yet again thanks.

Emilia x

• Posted

Firstly see your doctor - make an emergency appointment if you need too. secondly tell the doc you need symbicort as this is a preventative and reliever inhaler combined.

Thinking it will go away is a dangerous game - I know plenty of people that have far worse asthma than me and when they have a serious attack that won't go away or can't be relieved - out comes the paramedics.

• Posted

What does symbicort do? Problem is I doubt myself thinking that it isn't that bad and it will get better on its own.

• Posted

Symbicort is a preventative and reliever inhaler in one - basically a combi inhlaer. It is designed to be used on a SMART regime for asthma and is taken once in the morning and once at night.

I've had this inhaler for over 10 years now and it has changed the management of my asthma 10 fold.

Never, ever think that your asthma is not that bad that it will get better on its own because unfortunately this is where you will run into trouble. Asthma attacks can kill.

• Posted

Hi Again

I absolutely concur with Ashlaw.   Symbicort is in the 'preventer' group of inhalers and is used just as he says (although mine is twice morning and night - the dose being whatever is deemed right for an individual).

Symbicort is a cortico-steroid and this coats your lungs with a drug which reduces inflmaation thus keeping the bronchioles (the tiny tubes in your lungs that need to be clear for you to breathe easily) open.   Symbicort takes a few days to work fully and is not used like a blue 'reliever' inhaler.

Please speak to your asthma nurse sooner rather than later!

Using these drugs can change your life and you can participate in sport (just take a puff for two of the blue inhaler beforehand) without fear that you'll seize up.

I can use my Ventolin (the blue reliever inhaler) almost without anyone noticing, if I am out in public.   I have seen some people wave it about and make a fuss but there is no need for a performance.   You can be discreet if you are worried about having to use it in public - and have your life back.

Perhaps you could let us know when you have made an appointment with a nurse or doctor and tell us what has been prescribed for you - and later how you are managing.

Regards

GrammyBea

• Posted

Re: Sport - have you tried Montelukast?

Since going over to Symbicort 11 years ago I have not required the use of a brown or blue inhaler.

However - when I started getting "exercise induced asthma" (5 minutes on a treadmill or rower would induce it) - I contacted Asthma UK and they recommended the use of Montelukast.

It takes about 3 days to get into your system but the results are staggering.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion.   I will look into this as although I'm on Symbicort, I need a constant reasonably high dose and even then, having had three chest infections since November, I haven't been too well and have been wondering if I could do better!   It takes me weeks and weeks and we... (well, you get my drift) to clear an infection, too.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

GrammyBea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.