Help with imminent withdrawal from pain medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have been on 20 mg of oxycodone for over 18 months for siatica before I was switched to oxycodone I was taking 10 mg of oxymophone for about a year both 4 times a day, I am planning on moving across the country soon and know getting back on the regimen again will take time and I will be in full blown width drawl, I have tried to taper off myself with disastrous results, my Dr says it's easy to stop but we all know that's not true! And my insurance covers everything except a detoxification facility sad unless I go in primarily for mental reasons this is not a option because I could loose my disability benifits if they hold me more than 30 days, so how do you stop? And if I succeed will I be back to square one say if I get a opioid pain medication say 6 months after I am clean? Can I take just a few doses or will I guess through the detox again because my body remembers.? I feel trapped were I live right now because if I leave without coming off the meds I will be too sick to function for quite some time the longest I was able 5o stop was 2 days and thought I was going to die! I spent 3/4 of the day in the bathroom. And couldn't leave home because of it until I got a dose of it in my system.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ken

I really really feel your pain mate, Dr's do not have a clue about Oxycodone. I started on Oxycodone & got to 400mgs per day before being put on Oxycontin which then rose to 800mgs per day. After a while I was taking 1500mgs per day so I'm lucky to be here!!

I am now off the Oxy but am on Methadone.

I was on 105mgs of Methadone at Xmas, I've now managed to reduce it to 50mgs per day.

I don't know what to tell you regarding coming off Oxy, just that I couldn't. I got down to 320mgs per day before hitting a brick wall. I couldn't reduce anymore. I became suicidal. It was horrible.

The only thing I can suggest is to reduce it very very slowly over a period of say every 6wks by 2mg so your body gets used to it.

I think my problem was i was reduced too quickly.

Good luck Ken.

Hope it goes ok

• Posted

Thanks if I knew what I know now I would never have started this therapy I think my Dr's ultimate goal is to do epidural injections but I refuse them because every person I spoke to that had the injections said they hurt like hell and only lasted a few days this is from people seeing the same Dr I just have a bad feeling about someone sticking syringe into my spine every few weeks I don't know how that could be safe long term? Then there's still the medication issue

• Posted

I'm the same mate. I was never at any time told how addictive this stuff would be. I didn't even know what an opiate was until I was addicted to it Ken.

It has totally ruined my life Ken.

My problem is degenerative discs in my back & as you say, I would never had taken this if I had known the problems it would cause me!!!

I now have things wrong with me caused purely by my Oxy addiction.

I don't know what you know about it Ken but, Purdue Pharma that manufacture Oxycontin/ Oxycodone have been find over $600million in lawsuits. They call this stuff "Hillbilly Heroin" in the states.

It is 2.5x stronger than morphine etc etc. The evil list goes on my friend!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.