Intrusive thoughts citaopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I have anxiety which began 5 weeks ago due to worrying about my 5yr old son, since then I have had 4 weeks of cbt for the intrusive thoughts I am having and was prescribed 20mg of citalopram which I haven't yet taken, I am really trying but can't seem to get over the thoughts , I was just wondering if the citalopram will help ease these intrusive thoughts thanks I am so scared

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

I've never had intrusive thoughts but got everything else when starting cit.

5 weeks is really early days and I would hang in there for a while as your brain is still adjusting.  It's damn hard going but you will get there.  X

• Posted

Hi Debbie I haven't taken the citalopram I have the intrusive thoughts from the anxiety, did you have many side effects while taking the citalopram

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry read that wrong!!

yes I did, increased anxiety, dry mouth, loss of appetite, you name it. However, I was on it a few years ago for post natal depression and didn't get any side effects!  Very strange but with me, I think it's the anxiety which has caused the most problems this time.  Some people get on it fine, others have a hard time. I think you need to try and see what happens. You already feel crap so i think you need to go for it. There are a lot of people on here who will help if you need it. Try reading the 'Anyone not had side effects but n citalopram' on here, there are lots of people who mention intrusive thoughts...I'm sure I haven't had those as I'm not sure what they are!!! X

• Posted

Hey Sarah I got prescribed citalopram for anxiety that was OCD with intrusive thoughts. I'm 7 weeks on 20 mg. And it does help the intrusive thoughts. It took a while for them to kick in but I'm not feeling almost 100% better.

• Posted

Thank so much for your reply I hate these intrusive thoughts , I really wish they would just go, have your gone did you have many side effects
  • Edited

Hi Sarah I'm 5 weeks into citalopram and I feel really good now I don't have any intrusive thoughts now. 5 weeks ago my anxiety was so bad I did not want to leave the house. My thoughts were constantly based around how anxious I was feeling, what if I want to harm myself even thoughts about wanting to harm my son. It was horrible! After 5 weeks of taking citalopram

My mind is so calm and nothing seems to bother me. Life feels easier and exciting again. I'm almost feeling normal. I'm sure it will work for you too, good luck!

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying my thoughts are the similar, I feel so scared, did you have many side effects
    • Posted

I felt scared too it was not like me at all to be that way. I just felt like giving up. I did not want to take the medication I put it off for a couple months.im not going to lie the side effects were not great.. loss of appetite, sickness, and increased anxiety also the thoughts increased especially in the morning! i slept ok though I don't know wether it's because I take my meds early at about 8am. After 3 weeks I felt my mood lift I had a few up and down days after that but each day you feel a lot better.

• Posted

Thanks Leah, My appetite isn't great now as it is, I took 10mg tonight my doc told me I could half the dose for the 1st couple of days, I just want to feel like my old self again, I feel since this has started that I haven't been the mother I was to my boys before this all started 5 weeks ago, I feel like I have been just plodding along every day and I want to play with them like I would have without having to force myself

• Posted

I felt exactly the same I felt like an awful mother I didn't have any interest in playing. I felt like I would never get better and people used to say I would feel better soon but I didn't believe it. I started on 10 for one week and then 20 which I am still on now. I don't feel the need to increase as I'm feeling good and believe me I never thought I would say that. No my appetite was not great before taking the meds either my appetite goes when I get stressed/anxious but now I'm eating more than ever!

• Posted

It's an awful feeling my youngest is 5 and all he wants to do is play, this hit me out of nowhere I have never felt so helpless in my life and I'm usually a strong minded enough person, I just hope this works for me. People have been telling me the same that you will feel like yourself again soon but it's so hard when you are going through it, no matter what anybody tells you , when did your side effects start

• Posted

I think the side effects started the day after taking them although I felt so unwell with my anxiety that it's hard to say it kind of all merged into one if that makes sense. Yes you feel like you will never get better but you will soon you will forget how awful you felt. I know that everyone takes different times to see improvement but I like to give hope. I was always looking for success stories when I was at my lowest. Are you having any counselling? I have been 4 times now I didn't think it was helping but the last time I went he gave me some tips on controlling anxious thoughts it's hard to explain but basically when a bad thought comes in to your head just try and let it pass and do not focus on it easier said than done I know x

• Posted

I have been the same constantly googling of succes stories, but I have been feeling very low since Friday because the intrusive thoughts were about harming myself and they scared the life out of me , I would never do anything like that I have 2 beautiful boys that need me. I have done 4 weeks of cbt which does help and I had been doing really well, but I haven't been anywhere near my old self , which was really getting me down, i can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed anything properly

• Posted

You will get there trust me I was exactly the same and very out of the blue. That's good that you are having cbt. how are you feeling today? Are you from the U.K.

• Posted

I am a little more anxious and still feel down but I went to work, I just hope these work. I am from Ireland I'm just sorry I didn't take them 5 weeks ago

• Posted

Good luck anytime you want to message me feel free. I just went to the shopping centre just me and my 3 year old. First time in about 7 weeks and was fine actually enjoyed it. I could not of done that a few weeks ago!
    • Posted

Thanks Leah it's just so scary, did you feel down before you took them?

• Posted

Yes I was very depressed and just felt like crying all the time
    • Posted

hi i know is this an old post and probs dont follow it now but just wondered how you are doing now?

• Posted

this is what I'm going through now. so glad to hear it got better. are you still doing well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.