To TURP or not to TURP - advice needed!

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have had recurrent UTIs for more than 15 years. Although I was urinating regularly, albeit with a weak flow, I started vomiting black liquid two weeks ago and at the hospital 3000cm3 of unpassed urine was found and extracted by catheter which is still in place. I had noticed that my abdomen was becoming bloated, but as I had no pain, thought nothing of it. The urologist at the hospital has booked me in for a TURP although he didn't really take a full history. Another urologist  whom I saw on referral from the hospital has advised not to rush into a TURP and rather have some investigations to discover exactly why there was a problem. I am 70 and in very good condition still running and racing from time to time. My gut feeling is to opt out of the surgery and follow a programme of investigations. I would welcome advice.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Since joining this site I have found out it really depends on the doc. Some of us had very good results with TURP . Others have had bad results including RE and other side effects.
  • Posted

Please don't rush into a TURP - follow your gut feeling! The catheter is worth keeping in place while you consider all the available options - PAE or HoLEP definitely worth consideration, and this forum will suggest several others, depending on full examination of your prostate and bladder. I had a HoLEP a year ago and can highly recommend it. Remember it's radiologists for PAE advice, as urologists don't tend to mention this!  Best wishes - John.

• Posted

I had a series of infections and retention episodes through 2015 and I saw a locum urologist while my usual consultant was away. (He had known me and monitored my pCa and PSA for several years). The locum seemed rather alarmed at my recurring infections and recommended TURP. I went along for all the pre-op checks but on surgery day my usual uro decided to do another retention check with handheld ultrasound. By this time my GP had prescribed prophylactic antibiotics and I had been free of infections for 3 months. Turns out I didn't have BPH, but the Locum had assumed this was my diagnosis. Had my usual uro gone ahead, I'd have had all the disadvantages of TURP and no benefit! The moral of the story says to me - check, test and examine thoroughly before going the surgical route!

• Posted

If I were you, I would definitely find out more before undergoing a TURP. Has no one explained the vomiting episode? I don't see how that could be related to a prostate problem.window.post_1488127830630_23 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

• Posted

3000ml is a lot of retention and uros usually do not recommend TURP (or any other ops) because it probably will not correct the problem, which is mostly a stretched (flaccid) bladder.

Learn how to self cath (CIC) so you can get rid of the Foley catheter. Are you on any prostate meds ? If not, try some alpha blockers. With CIC you can measure your retention daily to see if any thing helps.

Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank, I tried self catheterising adwast successful. My hand shook too much so am now seeing uro this coming Friday to discuss suprapubic catheterising. Have had 3 TURPs and I do have a flaccid bladder.

Good adice Hank

• Posted

Good morning Robin.  I am sorry for your problem.  You have had 3 turps.  There muss be not much left.  Before the turps do you know you had a flaccid bladder  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Hi robin, you are a good testimony to the fact that "TURP does not fix urinary retention due to a flaccid bladder". Thanks for sharing and good luck with your supra cath. Hank

• Posted

Hi Kenneth. Maybe they should have done the Urodynamic Study before the TURP but that was not the case.

Appointment re Suprapubic Catheter Friday 3rd

Regards

Robin

• Posted

Robin,

Good luck with the suprapubic. Ask for it to be fitted with a flip-flo valve. That will give you the option of not having to carry around a bag. It will also keep your detrussor muscles in better tone since you can use them in part to empty the bladder. Conversely, you could use a bag at night for uninterrupted sleep and the Flip-flo during the day. 

I would still like to see you try CIC again, but I understand what happened the first time. Anyway, in case you didn't read my story, I almost passed out in the doctor's office the first time I tried CIC. That was followed by a couple of difficult weeks but gradually things got better and after a couple of months the process became very easy and painless. I'm telling you this because a rocky start doesn't have to mean it will always be that way.

If you were to try it again, I suggest working with an experienced cath nurse who could guide you through it. You might also want to consider taking a tranqulizer/muscle relaxant like Valium in the beginning as well as a numbing gel. I suppose you could even try a few sessions of CIC with the suprapubic in. That way you wouldn't be pressured in the beginning to have CIC as your only way to void. You could do it only when you wanted to. 

Jim

• Posted

The more you investigate and the more you research the more you will know. You do not seem to have an emergency to rush into anything. This forum will give you an idea what others have gone through but remember that your situation may be different from others, so use this forum as a guide and comparison.
  • Posted

I tend to fsavor the old carpenter's rule: measure twice, cut once.

I would ask for an MRI and a TRUS to check the exact size of my prostate. Then I would get second opinions from completely separate doctors who are not affilated with each other.

In my case I opted out of everything I was offered, even the drugs, and waited. Then I undrwent the iTind procedure which is very, very kind to my body compared to all of the other methods. It was very easy and very low trauma. For me it worked like a charm. Should symptoms return, I can always escalate trweatment to something more severe.

This is your body. You only gert one chance to get things right. To the doctor you are one of many cases this year. If he gets you wrong, well, he got many of the others right so he is still considered a good doctor.

Be safe, Be healthy.

• Posted

I'm curious about the ITind procedure. It seems to be more common in the UK and Europe than in the US, where I live. Did you look into the PAE, which is also miminally invasive and without the side effects associated with TURP and green laser? How wuld you compare the two--ITInd and PAE--in terms of success rates and side effects?

• Posted

Hi Bobby T,

Can you please tell me about your i Tind? Who did it, and where? Was it a clinical trial? Thanks in advance for any help?

Best wishes, Fred

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

Don't know if you had a chance to look at my reply to you from yesterday, but I've been trying to get information about iTind, and would really appreciate anything you could tell me about the procedure, the doctor, the location, cost, etc. And were you taking part in a clinical trial? Thanks in advance for any help. Best wishes, Fred

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.