Hip Replacement needed but pain isn't bad but docter says it neends done. Have surgery or not?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a torn labrum, torn cartilage and arthritis in my hip. Surgeon tells me it's too late to repair it and that i would end up having a total hip replacement in one year. My pain is not severe mostly a lot of aching and hip popping now. It all started with bad groin pain and that has lessened.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No decision. Get a second opinion. If it agrees with the first, get it done 6 weeks or so of restrictions and then pain free in most cases There is no sure thing or 100% guarantee. It's up to you.

• Posted

Hi you are in the same situation as I was. I was told 5 years ago that the torn labrum couldn't be repaired by arthroscopy and that I would need aTHR . Although the arthritis wasnt causing much pain the impingement caused by the torn labrum gradually caused catching which at times was extremely painful. I carried on until early 2016 when I realised I may as well accept the inevitable. X-ray confirmed again the extent of problem which was confirmed by a hip block. Unfortunately this only lasted a short time so I was offered aTHR which was carried out on 13/12/2016.

I'm 10 weeks post op and have recovered well. It's not been a magic cure but the impingement pain has gone. I'm back walking dogs as before and hope to be back competing with the dogs in agility this year. I am a slim, fit 68 year old who just lacks patience at times but overall am pleased to have got the op over and done with so that I can get on with doing things I enjoy. I hope this helps ?! 

• Posted

Hi I would ask for a second option. Are you in the UK? I know that the NHS are only doing hips & knees if they really have to.As it's so expensive. Goodles luck,regards Amanda

• Posted

No I am in US. It looks like I will be making a call for a second opinion! Thank you for the input!!
    • Posted

I don't know where you are in the UK, but that does not describe the situation where I live. I know both are being routinely done and the waiting times are only around three months - which is not bad for NHS major surgery. 

• Posted

I was where you are two- three years ago. In hindsight, no contest. Get the hip replaced and save yourself a load of pain. It may be tolerable now. It won't be soon. I put it off for far too long thinking I could manage with the sort of low level pain you describe, and the alternatives to surgery. Worst decision I ever made.

• Posted

I would think it's time to do it but if you're young you may be able to hold off for awhile but believe me, when you start having severe groin pain, then you won't even question surgery!

• Posted

I too live in the US and am only 38 with a torn labrum but due to hip dysplasia, I am not post poning this! It didn't hurt at first or I should say minimal hurt but after waiting 2 years the pain got worse until I just decided to get it checked. Now before it drops me again, I have a date to get it done. Good luck in your decision. Only you know what is best for you! Take Care.

• Posted

People are telling me wait because I'm only 59 and that I'll have to have it done again in 15 to 20 years. You make me feel better knowing that you are younger than me and having it done!

• Posted

I was told that I would need another one in my lifetime but he gave me 20-30 years before it would need replaced. I think that the lifetime of your replacement depends on how much you put the new joint through. If you run then more than likely you will need a replacement a lot sooner. It all depends on your life style I think. Good Luck in your decision. I am a bit nervous but I know that I can't wait to be done with the pain and back to a normal life smile

• Posted

G`day mate

This is not an easy decision as you are caught between a rock & hard place. On one hand this surgery will keep knocking at your door & on the hand you will have to consider the physical, financial & family implications.

Since your pain is managed:

A) research on surgeons & reviews provided in your area

B) plan the financial implications

C) consider your options post surgery to recover

D) talk to your immediate family to plan a 6 week recovery period post surgery

E) discuss potential dates with the selected surgeon

F) discuss options for recovery post surgery as each individual has different time games

Remember THR is atleast a 8 week commitment & needs planning. I recent got my second

Hip done & I took a good year to plan for this surgery. My pain & discomfort were

Becoming unbearable but suitation prevented me from getting it done on the onset.

Each case is different & you will need to consider your situation. Having a THR done was the best decision then comes the bullet points above.

Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.