Unstable asthma & now a cold!

Posted , 6 users are following.

My asthma has proved troublesome this past year & despite best efforts is proving to be hard to manage. I've recently switched to sirdupla from clenil & started on montelukast as well as antihistamines ready for hayfever season...however I have now come down with a cold & I am really suffering.

I feel breathless most of the time, the cough is waking me at night & I cannot have my ventolin out of sight. Should I carry on & hope it eases or should I ring the Dr to ask them if they can help more?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi cath I too have had a rough year I swoped over to sirdupla about 6 weeks ago after the odd headache or two sirdupla gets the thumbs up from me I'm nowhere near as breathless and feel a lot better no doubt when your use to to it I'm sure you'll feel a lo better also people's lawnmowers are coming out to play so it's time to start allergy/hay fever meds. I hope you start to feel better soon if not you should see you doctors, regards

• Posted

If you cannot keep your Ventolin out of sight, coughing all night, then see GP immediately, be checked out.  I have been there so many times, have you checked your peak flow? Please get checked out, we get so used to not breathing properly, plus if you have a virus this makes it worse.  I say this because in December I had to call emergency with another ailment I had, I went to A&E etc, the A&E was marvellous, however, when I got to a ward it was awful.  Long story.  I had to discharge myself at 1am Sunday morning. Monday morning my rhuematolotist phoned me, said call 999 immediately you are very sick you could die.  Aparrently I had a very dangerous type of phuemonia, I did not even know, my breathing was no worse than it had been for weeks.  I probably was suffering from pheumonia for weeks. I was fine after two 3 lots of strong anti-botics.  This is why I say get checked out.  It may be nothing, but please get checked out. I never suffer from my chest, just quiet asthma, my chest always clear, was even then.  So please best thing get checked out.  Please post to say how you get on.  If just a virus and nothing GP can do or A&E fine, but you still need to be monitored.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi csth 5680.

I would definitely see you doctor with having a cold you probably have a chest infection as I normally get thst with a cold a couse of antibiotics and steroids will soon put you back on track, hopefully.

I could be wrong but thats how mine normally goes, I dont know if you have a nebulizer or if you're gp gives them out on lone, I know that they used to but I heard lately a lot of practices have stopped loning tjem out as they are now saying that if you need a nebulizer you should be in hospital how much truth is in it i don't know as i have my own but get the medication from my GP for it.

Phone the doctors in the morning

Get well soon

Loraine x

• Posted

I would go back to the Doctor and nip this in the butt before it gets any worse. Hope you get better soon 
  • Posted

Tha
    • Posted

This was meant to say thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.