FLA

Posted , 19 users are following.

I am interested in FLA. There has been one very good series of reports following the procedure in Houston. Another doctor provides the same treatment in both New York and another office in Florida. Has anyone had the procedure done by this doctor? I am curious to hear your experiences and results so far. Thanks.

0 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Richard,

Good for you, looking into alternatives and doing your research! I was considering FLA but went with HIFU instead. I think both procedures have their advantages. However, it was explained by my doctor (who has performed both procedures) that HIFU is more accurate. He said the laser is like a lightbulb which emits the most energy at the source and then the energy tapers off making the laser less exact or controllable in comparison to HIFU.

That's not to say HIFU is better or better for your specific case. It's just the choice that was right for me. The FLA might be better for your circumstances but I just wanted to let you know about HIFU for your research and that my experience has been very positive so far.

• Posted

Good morning ES, thanks for the info. I could not find anything on Docusing this procedure for BPH only, with no cancer present. Do you know of docs who are doing it for BPH only?

Thanks Joe

• Posted

I looked up HIFU which I have never heard of - I saw the following statistics which would give me pause to try that. The statistics are for cancer patients so it probably would be different for BPH.

"Studies performed outside the U.S. report that potential side effects may also include urinary stricture (18%)2, retention (0.6%)1, incontinence (0.6%)1, erectile dysfunction (20%)1 and rectal fistula (1%)1. "

I saw a video on how it is done. I find it hard to believe it's more accurate then FLA. As far as I could find it is not approved in the USA, whereas FLA definitely is.

Where did you have it done?

• Posted

Mike, You must be looking at some very old information. Personally I have had none of the side effects you have listed. (I'm sure it is different for every individual). It is FDA approved in the USA (which is also what leads me to think your information is old). I had HIFU performed in Florida last August. Everything works as well (if not better) than prior to the procedure. FYI...I had BPH and prostate cancer.

• Posted

Hi - yes sorry after I wrote my comment I thought it might have been out of date. I'm very glad to hear it worked for you.

• Posted

My understanding is that FLA is far more accyrate. Laser is guided by  real time MRI within a millimeter of of sensitive areas. I'm plamming on havining FLA done. Seems like a no brainer at this point.

• Posted

Hi Richard

​I mentioned FLA to my Urologist in the UK.  He said that it was old technology and suggested that I might be a candidate for aquablation in the future. 

​He does seem to be up to date as he is the foremost Urolift person in the UK (I have had two Urolift operations), and also performs Green light surgery.

​I wonder what the objective situation is.

Regards

Mike

• Posted

What else would you expect a Urologist to say? FLA is only done by higly trained Intreventional Radiologist (absolutely not Urologist) using 3 TMRI which are not in UK. FLA is done in hearts, brains, lungs, kidneys, prostates, I have learned a while back when listening to any of these doctors, Follow the Money in their statements.

I wanted one thing and one thing only. Absolutely NO sexual side effects from any prostate procedure.

• Posted

FLA is VERY NEW technology & from what I gather much more accurate than HIFU. I'm afraid Urologist's are being put out of work by interventional  Urologists, firstly with PAE which is now being fully trialed by the NHS & you can now get that if you look around. I don't think you can get FLA in the UK yet but I might be wrong about that, to treat BPH & low grade cancer. It's a day case procedure & takes at the most 2 hrs. There are some 3T MRI's in the UK but whether they are being used for FLA I'm not sure.

• Posted

<sarcasm> my heart really bleeds for the urologist that are losing money because they can't perform TURP any more. 

• Posted

I had it done on Feb 14th also in Houston - it's too early to say for me as I had some other complications with kidneys (NOT due to procedure)  and have to wear catheter for 3 weeks after procedure. Normally they take it out after a week but it takes about 3 weeks till it starts to work.

Private message me in case I forget to update.

• Posted

Yes, as I wrote, on Feb 14th - since I am still wearing a catheter there  is nothing to report.

I think you have to take ES's remark seriously - if presumably an interventional radiologist says he's done both - either he is telling the truth or he is making more money doing HIFU - it's also possible I suppose he was not skillful enough to do FLA so his results were not good. The HIFU looks like it's guided by a computer not by hand. Personally I would want to know a lot more about HIFU and how the computer knows how to avoid places you want to avoid.

• Posted

Mike, 

I was a day ahead of you. Had it done on the 13th. I'm peeing better now, but it was a struggle the first week without the catheter.

• Posted

Mike, there appear to be a number of places you can get FLA for BPH in The States. Do you know them all & how did you choose which one? I think the most important thing is an experienced interventional radiologist & the number of procecedures they've carried out.

• Posted

Peter sorry I just saw this reply - I could only find 2 places, Dr Sperling and Dr Karamanian - I chose Dr K because I had spoken to John who had a successful procedure, and also because Dr K was very forthcoming explaining what he could do for me after I uploaded my MRI images to his website. I did call Dr S but never actually spoke to him, did get a call from someone on his staff - I have no opinion and nothing positive or negative to say about Dr S, just very positive and happy I chose to go with Dr K.
    • Posted

Mike, how are you doing at this point 5 months after the FLA procedure?

Rick

• Posted

Motoman, how are things doing with your BPH symptoms about 5 months since you had the procedure?

Rick

• Posted

Rick,

I'm a lot better than before the procedure, in my case my bladder was so badly affected it's hard to know if anything else would have been better - for sure in terms of no sexual side effects this has been great. I have ups and downs, and a recent down I just discovered was probably due to a UTI. My only complaint is I am still taking Flomax, but strangely it does not cause secul side effects either, whereas before the procedure it did. I'm hoping that my bladder will get re-conditioned so that I can stop the meds. If you are thinking of FLA from what I can tell it's still the best bet for minimally invasive procedure with no sexual side effects.

Michael

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.