has anyone had muscle spasms in the leg after trauma or surgery?affected leg spasms every 14 seconds for 3 seconds and can last for 3 hours at worst.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Had mild restless leg syndrome for years until I broke ankle 9 months ago when it got worse. Doctor prescribed Ropinirole 1.5mg. 4 weeks ago had a knee replacement and since then the leg operated on will go into spasm every 12-14 seconds for 3 seconds and can last for hours and can happen any time from lunch onwards. It is making my life a misery as I become agitated as well and cannot relax. Have increased the ropinirole to 2mg. and I take 1mg at18.00 and 1mg at 20.30. Doctor at a loss as am,I, but becoming more desperate

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am 31 and had a very unplanned major hip operation last August. I did not have any trauma as such before hand. I suffered severe muscle spasms pre and post my surgery and couldn't walk. My Dr prescribed clonazepam mg twice a day immediately post op. Though for me it made me very drowsy, iit did work to some extent but my spasms were very severe. You can take it as needed I think. I don't know your history but it's just a thought if your current treatment isn't successful. Because muscle spasms are extremely painful obviously it goes round in circles . I'm not taking it anymore as my surgery was successful but I still get spasms. Anyway, I hope u feel better soon.
  • Posted

Sorry Dr prescribed 1st twice a day. It can make u drowsy though.
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice

Now 5 months since knee replacement and the spasms have reduced to an almost manageable level. Have to be careful do not get overtired or drink too much alcohol and faithfully take the tablets. Occasionally have to leave the marital bed and sleep in the spare room but nowhere near as bad as previously.

• Posted

Erik.... how are your spasms now?.. I had a TKR 12 weeks ago and not a day goes by without me having spasms  exactly as you described... I am scared to go out in case they start.. as I can't even put my foot on the floor while  I am having spasms. my gp gave me 2mg of diazepam at bedtime. but still happening... any advice would be much appreciated... Regards mary
    • Posted

I had knee replacement 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I woke screaming in pain and my knee was stuck at 90 degree angle and remaind like that for 3 days until evenutally, standing with crutches I slowly , slowly managed to get in on the ground...oh the relief! 3 days ago another spasm in the night...was concerned as the bottom half of my shin and foot was very cold. Spent 7 hours in hospital , had xrays and then they decided to starighten it....the doctor had one hand under my heel and just rested his other on my knee....millimeter by millimeter it starighted....took an hour and I shouted, screamed, moaned, swore and cried every minute...excruciating. Now sleeop with a brace on at night. One thing I highly reccomend is tonic water, it has quinine and really works.....ever onwards   smile
  • Posted

The leg spasms,cramps started 6 weeks after my total knee replacement. I never had restless legs syndrone. This a nightmare. I cannot sleep. I am not familiar with Ropinirole.
  • Posted

It sounds like you have Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) and what use to

Be called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).

I've suffered with it since 2002!! Getting in with a Pain Clinic doctor who specializes in CRPS- TYPE I and II / RSD! Having sympathetic nerve blocks done early with in 6months of the symptoms occurring increase your odds of reversing the nerve damage and/or wreaking the amount of permanent nerves damage. It is a chronic disease that either you learn to live with it or either you crawl up and give into the pain and stop being the person you were before CRPS/RSD or the shell that can be left after your symptoms over come you.

Get with a Pain Clinic doctor who can come up with a medication regiment, procedures your a candidate for, and pain treatment therapy. Therapist specializing in treated CRSP/RSD can teach you how to play mind tricks and meditation that helps a lot! And in an Antidepressant, commonly used is Cymbaltia because it also has been know to help with a patient's pain.

Good luck to you and too whomever may read this post in the future!!

DG

• Posted

I broke my ankle 3 days ago and am now in cast, I have never experienced muscle spasms before but now I can't stop, very painful seeing as my foot keeps moving around on its own!

• Edited

Hey, I had ankle surgery a month ago today. I've been getting spasms along with excruciating pain. The spasms began gradual. Now it's constant, my leg will lock up. I can't sleep, sit, in addition, I have RLS, and sciatica in my other leg, so I'm a total mess. Seeing the various comments, it's comforting to see I'm not loosing  my mind!

• Edited

I started having night cramps nine days post op knee replacement . The cramps were my hamstrings pulling my foot toward my leg. the pain was excruciating! They started out every other night, then ever night and finally multiple per night. Muscle relaxants did nothing. Three weeks of cramps and I finally started wearing a knee imobilzation brace and cramps stopped ! The problem with this solution is my knee is stiff in the AM and is hurting my Rehab. I finally had to have a knee " Manipulation " procedure to break up scar tissue that formed. I need to stop wearing the brace and worry that the cramps will start again! ANY SUGGESTIONs

• Posted

ask your doc for Requip/ Ropinerole for the spasms. I suffered for YEARS and did a ton of research from REAL medical sites & studies. Requip is a medication traditionally given to patients with Parkinson's, but has long been used to help people suffering from spasms. Muscle relaxers do very little most times. I am on a higher dose, but some nights I can take less. They Usually start at 1mg but trust me, you'll know within 2-3 hours if it's enough to do the job. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.