Seeing shapes and other strange things when I am trying to sleep

Posted , 20 users are following.

19 Male.

I have this issue that occurs seemingly at random. I suffered from no known mental or sleep related issues. This issue comes and goes seemingly at random. The only thing I can trace it to is when I am having trouble sleeping. I have my eyes closed when this happens, and I am preparing to sleep. However, my mind will still be active, and I will not be close to sleep.

What happens is I see shapes. A square, triangle, and circle. Just those three. Sometimes I see all three, sometimes just two, but I always see at least two.

They are always inside each other, the biggest is on the outside, smaller on the inside, but all the shapes can be the biggest or smallest.

For example, the square could be the biggest, with a smaller but still large triangle inside. Then there is always one incredibly small shape in the middle. Just barely big enough to make out its shape.

Most often the circle is in the smallest, but not always. Sometimes there are all three sizes represented, but only two shapes used.

The biggest can be so big it seems to take up all my vision.

These shapes appear on a completely white background devoid of any other features. They are black, and perfect. In the way that the lines of the square and triangle are all of perfect lengths and perfectly straight. The circle is perfectly round.

These visions come unbidden. I could be thinking about something completely unrelated and they pop into my head. The only way to dismiss them is by opening my eyes. Though closing them could bring them back. I can't return to my original thought. These shapes seem to dominate my mind. Eventually they will leave. These episodes never lasting more than a few minutes. I can't summon them back. I can think of shapes of course, but it is different somehow.

I also experience strange perceptions so to speak. I will be thinking about something and then it will zoom out until I can just barely make out what is there. There will be nothing behind what I am envisioning. Just that same white background.

Say for example that I am thinking about a scene in a movie. All of the sudden it will zoom out until I can just barely see that scene, but there is a huge white background behind it.

Another way to describe would be if you put a projector really close to the surface it was projecting onto. I am talking like 6 inches away.

These visions are uncontrollable to the best of my knowledge. They don't seem to have many triggers except when my sleep patterns become abnormal. The last time I can remember having them regularly was the summer before last. I had immense trouble sleeping during that time, and they became noticeable then. Though they had happen before they were never so intense.

Recently I've been incredibly tired. I have started going to sleep early at night (9:00-9:30) because I was sleeping for 12 hours plus (still am). As well as many as three naps a day that can last anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours. Anytime I get bored my head starts swimming so to speak. I am not necessarily dizzy, but my head feels incredibly light and wavy.

Any help?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would use this to my advantage! I did, I could not stop crying when 19,therefor could not fall asleep. This went on for too long. I knew I had to do something. I used my mind to visualise colours, it took me 5 days to master 1 colour! I took it from there and managed to visualise any colour!

Do not be afraid of what you are seeing , start slowly have patience and colour your shapes! The mind is a very powerful tool. :-)

• Posted

I would make an appointment with your doctor asap to discuss this in case you have an underlying condition medical! Bless you and best wishes!! :-)
  • Posted

Hi,

ive been researching this for a while now and i think you're the closeset of similarities to my before dreams. when i shut my eyes i see a white background and a small black circle in the centre and its beeping in slow motion. then all of a sudden lots of big black circles all gather around like they're choking the small circle in a rush and the whole thing becomes black. then i open my eyes and thats it.ive been having these visions since i was just a little girl and im 21 now. for me its a scary thing, some people may think its funny that its just about shapes, but i think that this vision symbolizes something; something dark or a trapped memory maybe and i really wish to find out what it really means. did someone maybe have given you some details about it? thanks

• Posted

Ah I wish i had seen your post earlier! I've just posted a long piece about my insomnia trouble I had where I also had visions that kept me awake! Mine weren't quite as neat and easily to describe as yours but i think it's very much the same problem!

I wouldn't try to 'fight' these visions off when you are trying to sleep. You don't want to turn bedtime into a battleground. I'm guessing you might be slightly creative? I'll just reitterate my solution that I found which helped me restore a normal sleeping pattern... So what I do is a work on my art projects in the evening. I spend time brainstorming my ideas too. if you are a writer or musician i reckon getting on with those hobbies would help too. It just seems to 'get it all out of my system' before I go to bed. But be careful not to overdo it though - sometimes you can end up overstimulating yourself but usually I'm out like a light. Anyway, I very much doubt there medically anything wrong with you.

Would be interested to hear more about this whether you find a solution or not.

Good luck

• Posted

Hey Flavourful_Tim, 

I can't believe I've found this post. I'm also a 19 year old male and I get near enough exactly what you just mentioned, pretty much every time I sleep or close my eyes (e.g. for meditation), but I've never been able to find anything describing it.

In my instance I see squares, triangles and circles, but also sometime octagons and other polygons. However I do sometimes see them in colour too, namely pastel yellow. I find that I lose all sense of scale, say for example if I were to envision my hands or my body, which I see every day, I would have no idea what they looked like or what the scale of them were until I opened my eyes, everything pulsates and becomes so insanely large it takes up my whole vision, or zooms out to be so insanely small you can barely see it (on a white background). 

As well as this, the texture of the shapes often changes between soft and pastel to grainy and dark, and I feel like my head is swimming. But the main thing is zooming in and out of things constantly. 

Can I ask if you're taking any antidepressants at the moment? I'm on Sertraline and never got this before taking it? I don't know. Anyway I get how frustrating it is and you feel like you can't sleep. I've always found that there's no point fighting it so either learn to embrace the visuals or do what I do which is to wait for about 30mins to an hour and try sleeping again, it usually goes away/quietens down by then. 

Anyway hope this helps, you're not alone!

• Posted

Im also a 19 yearold male and this is the closest description to what ive been experiencing. Its not just when im trying to sleep either. I close my eyes and I see these pulsing shapes that change texture and get very large until it’s completely white and then another one shows up. Most of the time they have faces too. Im also taking antidepressants. Id really like to know what is causing this.
  • Posted

I am 19 and have always had weird sightimgs when i try to sleep. Normally comes up when i am having trouble.

But for me, i see a rounded shape/object (such as a baloon, shoe, or round person) and the objext keeps blowing up bigger and bigger. And getting larger until that alls i can see is one color. Normally white. Like when you zoom in really hard on something or keep blowing up a baloon. Except my object never pops. And i always expect it to.

Reading these makes me wonder if this has some type of mental connection between the past or something.

• Posted

Hey Tim,

Seems like you're not the only one having these visions. My experience is slightly different, as in those few minutes that you describe, I can think of any vision I want, but the thickness of every shape I see goes without my control from being incredibly thin to incredibly thick (as thickest as I can imagine, up to a point where it fills all of my vision, and as thinnest as I can imagine). I can think of images, of people I know, of myself, every object - and it would go through that thickness game. 

Besides the kind of the shape I see, EVERY detail you described fits my story. The timing, the intensity and that radical image, the length, the inability to control it, etc. I’m a 21 male, perfectly fine without any issues. I can mention that when I were younger I had this experience 10 times more often, but it went less common through the years. Never bothered me though, it only intrigues me. 

Had anyone read about this thing? Had an opinion of a psychologist? Has a sense of the source of the phenomenon?

• Posted

I just came across not and had to get in touch with you! I used to experience the exact thing you are describing nearly every day, it would drive me mad. My heart rate would increase I would start sweating sometimes they were so intense and other times it would only last a second. It doesn't happen very much anymore. Did you ever find any more information?

• Posted

Hi

You guys should read a book called "Stalking the Wild Pendulum" by Itzhak Bentov on the mechanics of consciousness. I think what you are experiencing is actually a glimpse of reality. What yogis meditate on, you seem to have have stumbled upon. That is you are essentially vibrations (scientifically, you are not solid at all) and as energetic vibrations you expand to the reaches of the galaxy and contract back in rhythm constantly and so quickly that almost no time passes and no one usually notices. However when you slow down breathing through meditation (or altered states) you may slow your experience of time and glimpse the journey. When you zoom in during your vision and you see solids become particles with vast space in between that is what matter really is like. You are experiencing expanding out and back in because you are pure energy and energy continues to expand into infinity until it meets interference. Look into it.

• Posted

From what I've read about personality, there are people with "thin boundaries," meaning they are very perceptive of external stimuli and sensations. Maybe you have "thin boundaries." When I was younger, before falling asleep, there would be an object in space, like a tunnel, and it sped up until at the end there was some tiny dot, an I felt weightless- the zooming in/out phenomenon. Freaked me out and lost sleep over it, in addition to questions like why is there something and not nothing, or how could nothing exist? Also the feeling of losing gravity while sitting in a chair happened to me a lot. For me now there is mostly just a vision of a sun or circle that keeps radiating out from the center in grays and blacks, its not bright, barely defined, but just keeps moving, like going through a tunnel. At 15-18 I believe I was actually experiencing a nervous breakdown/psychotic episode, because I would see spiraling sorts of visuals that would keep me up all night, many nights for several months, in addition to bad anxiety, paranoid thoughts, and a general feeling of fear and disembodiment. Used to smoke quite a bit of pot, pills on occasion. In addition to the visuals, there was a sensation that it was better to sleep on the right side of my head, as if internal balance was thrown off when I lie on my left side. Waking up, there would be a sensation of shifting, like when you're drunk and getting the spins, but I almost never drank alcohol at the time. If your thoughts don't frighten you, or even if they do, I would meditate, read Strindberg, maybe see a doctor. 

• Posted

Hi Tim,

I also have this same strange experience sometimes.

I will be picturing something in my minds eye, and without control it will randomly wobble between being extremely thin and extremely thick/wide.

I had this last night for the first time in a long time, a post-box popped into my head (perhaps because I had to remember to post a birthday card), and then it was about 6 inches wide, then about 6 feet. It's a distracting feeling, like ADSD/hyperactivity or something...I can't "hold" the image. Very strange that it always mostly changes width and rarely height.

The only thing I can think that might trigger it is trying to sleep whilst under the effect of a lot of caffine.

Another strange size illusion I sometimes have whilst trying to sleep is feeling as though the world is miles and miles away from me, like my origin of perception has shrunk to the size of a grain of sand.

I actually always enjoy these sensations and try and hold onto them when they happen, in a sort of medititive way.window.post_1488049174012_2 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}window.post_1488049177185_21 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

• Posted

Hi,

To anyone who have this so called "problem". It's totally natural to have these visions, in fact they have a name "Phosphenes". It's a light reflections. We all have them, otherwise we would be blind but some people don't pay attention to them and some others do. I see them everytime I close my eyes and I still manage to sleep with no problem. I was always seeing them as a kid and used to find it amazing but when I grew up, I thought that I might have a mental issue and started to panic, insomnia... Then when I knew that it's normal, I started to be able to sleep again without any issue most of the time. Sometimes I can't lose it but it's totally normal. It's in your head, just stop thinking about it. 

• Posted

Hi,

Ive read up on Phosphenes, and i dont think its that. i know this is seven months ago but ive been curious recently about these visions. i get them too, and theyre not phosphenes. phosphenes are when you close your eyes, or put pressure on your eyes (etc..). the visions we are saying can happen when your eyes are open, in broad daylight, anywhere. excuse me if im wrong about this. 

the visions ive had are like;

a white background, and shapes (like circles and squares) but they can get thick and thin, extemely thin. they zoom in on them, and its like im travelling really fastly through the thick and thin shapes. i used to get them when i was really sick, and they were really scary to me. i would cry and shout "stop" to myself when they were happening, even if i was in a public place.

they arent phosphenes.

• Posted

Hi, not sure if you'll ever see this or not. I mean, I understand it's been 4 years since your post. Not sure if this will help, I see things just before going to sleep. I could describe what I see but I don't think that's important as everyone seems to experience their own unique things! For me, I think it is most imporant to "purposefully notice" or be aware of your thoughts at the time and if these visions inspire other thoughts, weather related or not. It may be some sort of message but not in words! Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.