Neupro (rotigotine) patch experience anyone?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have tried a few meds for RLS which didn't work and am now prescribed this Neupro patch which is pretty expensive. I have it unopened in my bedside drawer because I read the information sheet and it sounds pretty scary. It is an anti-Parkinson drug but works 24 hours a day. Does anyone have

any experience with this? It's kind of new.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello mary47679,

My mum was prescribed the Rotigotine patch and sadly it did not work for her. I do know of other people who have used it and found it helpful. I believe it releases the drug in to your system slowly over a 24 hour period so give it a shot and see if it helps you. Unfortunately the majority of these drugs cross the brain barrier and so some people experience side effects while others do not and some react positively and others have no benefit. You may find that it may take time to settle in to your system for full effect but its definitely worth a try.

Good luck and I hope it works really well for you.

Kind Regards

S

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement. I did in fact decide to give it a try and so far my RLS is gone! One problem is that I find I can't initiate sleep at night. So I'm taking something for that, and I hope that it's just a passing side effect. Otherwise, no problems. It's amazing!
  • Posted

Hi There

I am new to this forum... I acquired RLS about 15 years ago, no idea I had it, was just having sleep

problems, was sent to the neuro centre at Fazakerley hospital in Liverpool, was put onto a sleep trial and

was told I has RLS, I am now taking Pramipexole 0.088 mg was started on 3 tabs and am now taking 6

tablets about 3 hours before bed! and I defiantly couldn't sleep with-out this drug!! I visit the sleep clinic

once every 12months ? and learn nothing, despite asking to see my consultant, it is never him, always

someone else. On one occasion during my consultation, I was asked if it was OK for some students to sit

in, I of course said yes that's fine, and I noticed at the back, one of the students, falling asleep...how

appropriate, given

the clinic. So eager to learn more I just Google searched my condition and here we are, hoping to share

experiences with you guys.

Regards Lynne

• Posted

Hello Mary47679,

I am so glad the patches have worked for you well done for trying them out. You have to be brave and give things a go you just do not know what will work for you. Don't worry too much about not sleeping it will pass I am sure perhaps a warm relaxing bath before bed might help. The patch may be taking some time to settle in your system and your body will adjust eventually at least the patches stopped the awful restlessness in your legs. Keep us updated with how it goes.

Kind Regards

dansae.

• Posted

This is a great relief so far. I put on patch around 8 p.m. and take off in morning per Dr.'s orders. My restless legs are gone! I still have some problem falling asleep at night but I'll try a few different things. Thanks for your support. I think it takes a few tries to get used to it.
  • Posted

Excited to try the Neupro patch prescribed by my doctor today. I've got RLS so bad now that I can't take naps in the day, can't sleep at night, can't go to movies, can't sit at my desk at work for prolonged periods, etc. I hate it!! Hoping and praying the patch helps. Good luck to all of you. I understand what you're going through.
  • Posted

I have taken pramipexlo for about 4years up till then suffered 35years with RLS and I could not go with out them most night I take 2pills some 3,did,nt know there where patches on the market.
  • Posted

I too am starting on patches tomorrow, praying they work, Started on Ropinrole them Pramipexole. So frustrated I can't watch a movie, drive far sit down and relax, I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy, Has anyone noticed they can't walk as far as they did with RLS, I certainly can't. I was only diagnosed with RLS 12 months ago, feel so sorry some of you have had it for such a long time, Press on as they say!!!!
  • Posted

Been on the patch for 3 days now and no good results. Been very depressed, but I don't see that as one of the major side effects. I'm going to continue wearing it though and see if I get any relief.
  • Posted

I was very depressed too, even before the patch, because I couldn't sleep with the RLS. My walking has not been affected. I can still walk as far as I want. I am going to order some pneumatic compression leg sleeves and will start wearing support hose. They say it has something to do with circulation. Meanwhile, back to the tramadol (Ultram). Good luck all!
  • Posted

I forgot to say I got off the patch because I had trouble falling asleep. So I figured if I had trouble falling asleep with RLS, and still had trouble falling asleep because of the patch,(even though it stopped the RLS)

I might as well try something else.

• Posted

Not tried patches but they say RLS is caused by a lack of Dopamine in the brain. Similarly Parkinson's is related to a lack of Dopamine, however doesn't mean to say you will get Parkinson's. I have had RLS for about 17 years and found that taking 2 x. 30mg Dihydrocodeine tablets at about 6pm every day totally stops my RLS. If I forget to taker them I get the symptoms and then have to stand up or walk around with all the uncomfortable symptoms, but 20 minutes after remembering to take them, the symptoms gradually disappear. I have been taking them for about 2 years. I might add that my circulation is not very good and I suffer with cold feet.
  • Posted

I started on the 1mg neupro patch about 5-6 years ago. I just started the 3mg patch about a month ago. It seems like after 2 years I need a higher dosage.  I've not had any problems with it and it's the only thing that has worked for me, and I've tried just about everything....different medications, hypnosis, acupuncture,etc.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.