Keloid Scar Hurting and Growing

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi, My name is Cindy. Im 17 years old and i have a keloid scar on my left shoulder since i was a baby. I went to alot of skin doctors and hospitals to see if there is any way or any treatment to get rid of this keloid. All of them said that there is no way to make it go away, because if they preform a surgery another keloid scar might grow again. My scar has been hurting since i was a kid, and now it hurts much more often or out of the blue. Espiecally when i get a pat on the shoulder and people don't know i have this, it hurts sooo much sad I tried creams that the doctors gave me to make the pain go away, but it never works. It looks very red and swollen now and even just a touch is painful. Please is there any way to get rid of this, so i won't be in much pain anymore.

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, 

I too suffer from kelold scars.  I Have on the mid-section of my chest and on my left breast.  I have had these keloids since I was you age and now I am 48.  They are very painful and its amazes me that doctors can make women beautiful with surgery yet they can't figure out how to help patients who just want to have a normal life without keloids.  

I wish I could tell you there was a solution but I have yet to find one.  I will make a suggestion to not get the injection because they just made my koloid larger.  Also small needles will still cause a scar.  Keep in touch if you get ahold of a doctor who cares refer him/her my way. 

Lorraine

• Posted

Hello Lorraine

My mother (66) underwent a bypass surgery six years ago and developed a painful keloid since. She just had her 1st steroid injection and it was so painful it almost passed out look at her baring it. After she got the shot it dint stop hurting. I don't know if the injections are the right thing to do. She's already in pain and I don't want her to go through anymore. What should I do?

• Posted

Hi Disha,

I have a keloid scar on my chest and I had 5 steroid injections directly in to the scar when I was younger and there was no result. They are incredibly painful. I ended up getting most of my scar cut out and then underwent scar therapy. I taped my scar to keep it down and to stop it growing which did work! Half of my scar is as smooth and flat as my skin now while the other half they didn't cut out is still quite raised. Hope this helps

• Posted

Keloid looks shiny and range in color from pink to red. It has the tendency to migrate into surrounding areas. Multiple treatments may be required depending on the nature of keloid. I got keloids on my ears. I removed it five times through various treatments. I did it in Fairview laser clinic at Toronto. Cortisone injections are given to treat keloids. So you consult a surgeon in the first place and ask for advice.
    • Posted

I have a very large 25cmx14cm keloid scar on my chest caused by teenage acne which I pinched to remove the acne at that time. At 53 I got it surgically excised followed by radiation therapy. It came back with a vengeance and over the past 6 years I have had corticosteroids injections but the treatments have made it more aggressive and very painful. I am now 60 and hoping the growth will subside with age. My life has been miserable because of that. If anyone out there has a successful treatment please let us know. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi. I have my own keloid and it's on my chest so whenever I wear v neck shirts or anything that shows it it makes me feel conscious and I don't feel confident in myself but I've been looking through a few websites and I've seen people say that the cryosurgery is not painful at all to do. All they really do is use an extremely cold thing and they apply it making it shrink and less noticeable. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

I had a really stubborn keloid on my chest which was very painful, itching and growing. Did so many different treatments over 3-4 years with no luck, it kept growing and the pain increased every passing day. I researched online for treatments and was in similar discussions but none of what was recommended worked. Finally I went and got rid of it through a surgeon (through a recommendation I got from another doctor) who gave me KENACORT INJECTION. I had to only go for a couple of sessions and it was gone. Believe me i have taken many other medicines and injections prior to that but this is the thing which worked on me. The reason I am writing this is because I know how painful and worrying keliods can be. Hope this would help.
  • Posted

I had open heart surgery 4.5 yrs ago and the keliod scar right diwn the centre of my chest is still painful also itches.  I went to the Docs yesterday about the stabbing shooting pains i get all around my chest , he says they are the nerves from the scar? any advise out there?
    • Posted

I had a really stubborn keloid on my chest which was very painful, itching and growing. Did so many different treatments over 3-4 years with no luck, it kept growing and the pain increased every passing day. I researched online for treatments and was in similar discussions but none of what was recommended worked. Finally I went and got rid of it through a surgeon (through a recommendation I got from another doctor) who gave me KENACORT INJECTION. I had to only go for a couple of sessions and it was gone. Believe me i have taken many other medicines and injections prior to that but this is the thing which worked on me. The reason I am writing this is because I know how painful and worrying keliods can be. Hope this would help.
    • Posted

I was told by my scar therapist to massage my scar regularly and hard to help release the tension of the scar under the skin. Does help
  • Posted

Hi

i have keloid too.i started applying apple cider vinegar and its helping to reduce the size.do try it.hope u feel better

• Posted

U can also apply castor oil.warm up n apply it.i also drink acv mixed in juice.i apply apple cider vinegar too.my keloid has reduced to size.hurts less now
  • Posted

i too have a Keloid on my left shoulder. i was in tears yesterday due to pain! Mepiform seems to work but my GP wouldnt do them so tried ScarAway but obviously that didnt work! Today the idiot Keloid has died down. The ancient question why would a keloid try to grow towards a shoulder bone when there is no way of going anywhere except to cause me unbelievable pain??

i am BlackAmerican but grew up in UK&Germany.My Keloid started with a jab/shot when i was about 12. Drs from EU to USA have tried & tested now my Keloid is about 6" long in shape of last stitches i had plus about 2" wide. Cindy, dont bother with removal plus i found injections too bloody painful.

i am trying out sheeting.....

thank u - Kimla

• Posted

• Posted

Hi, I've had keloid scars as long as I could remember, and I have one on my right shoulder. I also had a huge keloid scar on my knee from when i fell down as a child. I remember being reccomended this silicone gel called Dermatix and used it everyday, and it has flattened my keloid scar on my knee. I didn't really care much about the one on my shoulder until it recently started hurting quite a bit. I've repurchased dermatix and have been using it for the past 3 weeks, and the keloid scar on my shoulder has significantly reduced. it's not flat yet, but it still works for me, so maybe try it out? It's a bit on the pricey side but I promise you it's worth it. Just apply it religiously everyday and you should notice a difference at least after 3 weeks of using it! Good luck and keep me updated smile
    • Posted

That sounds like a 'light at the end of a tunnel'!! i will try and thank you so much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.