Sleeping after hip replacement

Posted , 114 users are following.

I'm 44 years old and had a hip replacement 10 days ago, I'm having real difficulty sleeping on my back . My recovery has been good , my wound is healing well ,I'm walking on 1 crutch now and doing exercises regularly. I'm just so tired from not sleeping at night and find that in napping in the day . Any ideas on sleeping .

15 likes, 174 replies

174 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ever since my replacement, I personally cant sleep on my back without a pillow or two under my knees. It makes a world of difference.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, I also have great difficulty sleeping on my back. My hip replacement was 2wks ago and i can't wait to sleep on my side as normal.

Like you, I find myself dozing during the day due to lack of nighttime sleep! My ankles are swollen from all the "in house" walking I've done, so was wondering what exercises you're doing that perhaps would help.

• Posted

Sleeping on your back seems to be a universal problem. I'm 10weeks post op but I think nick's advice is sound, using a couple of pillows under your knees, I still use pillows even sleeping on my side.

My ankles were swollen for about 4 weeks, but try to elevate your legs when sitting for spells. It should resolve itself.

• Posted

I think that lack of sleep is probably the worst problem to cope with after thr. My back was so painful from being on my back. I put a pillow between my knees, then turned on to my good side. That way your bad leg doesn't cross midline. I could only tolerate it for a few minutes to start with, but now at 4 weeks, I an get 3 lots of 2 hours, and I feel human again! I still have a nap now and again. It's major surgery, you will be tired. I find I slept the same amount of time whether I had a nap or not. So I wouldn't worry about taking naps. You need the rest.

Marg I'm dismayed, but alas not surprised you have no exercises. If you Google exercises after hip replacement, a lot of hospitals have pdfs of their regimes. Or utube has videos. Do you have a contact number for the ward? You could ring and ask to speak to the physio. To be honest the ankle exercises, up and down and round in circles do nothing for my swelling, it's only since I have been able to walk further it's improved.

• Posted

Hi there, i am one week post op and would like to know how the rest of your recovery went and how u r now . . . 

Thanks from  FL!

• Posted

I am 1week post op my problem is sleep my back but I have had some good story's from here so I will start in the morning 
    • Posted

Hi i am one wedk pist op too

Its been going perfect

I am up early

Exercises few times a day

And bap in afternoon

But i have found each nite has new experiences such as tonite with frequent bathroom visits and now up watching tv

I have always been a perfect sleeper

I guess i think we will all go thru sone steange stuff and hopefully run and catch a train and smile

Good luck and post how you are

Also i stopped pain meds they were too strong for now

• Posted

Sorry marg didn't realise you had no exercises at all. Hope you find them okay. But longer walks and time should resolve it.
  • Posted

Lack of sleep after THR is a common problem by all accounts. The pelvis goes through some real punishment during the operation so backache is almost inevitable. After my simultaneous bi-lateral THR in 2011 my back was a disaster area for a while.

My advice would be to embrace the naps during the day as this greatly helps the healing process. My physiotherapist at the hospital advised me to go to bed EVERY afternoon. It wasn't easy but it certainly worked.

Exercises are many and varied but the ones I found most helpful were those I could do whilst supine. Pressing my calves into the bed and wiggling my feet. Clenching my backside muscles also helped enormously as it builds muscle strength which gives the body assistance in securing the new implants. The added advantage is that these simple low-stress exercises is that they help to keep the blood flow in the lower legs energised guarding against embolisms.

John, UK

• Posted

Apologies for poor proof-reading...last sentence should have read :-

The added advantage is that these low-stress exercises help to keep the blood flow energised thus guarding against embolisms.

• Posted

Wow, you've all been so helpful, and i really appreciate all of your comments and will certainly take them ''on board'.

I will continue with afternoon naps & try out the suggested exercises, elevate leg when sitting & pillows under knees.

Incidentally mine wasn't a scheduled THR as it was done as a result of a fall on New Year's Day when I broke my femur! Didn't have time to prepare etc. (73 yrs old) many thanks for all the help. So glad I found this site. X

• Posted

Marg, like others I was shown and given exercises before I left , I tend to do standing exercises holding on to a chair back, weather is so bad have been hoping to walk short distances outside but just been walking around house. I try and do them 3-4 times in the day , finding squats tend to ache but others tend to be getting easier to do. Start off gentle and build up .
  • Posted

Thanks for that Rachel. I've been checking out exercises following hip replacement on the Net and finding them very useful, especially the PDF's. Hope you have a better sleep tonight.

• Posted

Another tip I have found is using a reclining sun lounger chair during the day as it seems to spread the pressure from back and bottom xx
    • Posted

That is a really good tip rachel.

Of course we would all like to get a nice electric recliner, however if you already have your living room furnished the way you like then what to do with it afterwards?

A sun lounger would serve the same purpose, be less costly and can be resused afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.