mystery temporary loss of control of limbs... Any suggestions please?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so, for about the last 4 years I've repeatedly experienced a completley random situation in which I lose control of either my legs, arms, face (specifically mouth) or all 3 at once. I can't explain the feeling very well but it starts usually with my legs and I feel completley rooted to the spot. If I do manage to take a step it feels like I'm controlling someone else's leg and despite trying to step forward my leg jerks in a different direction. I also experience sudden urges to, for example, kick out or violently bend my knee. It's the same sort of thing with my arms, I'll go to try pick something up and end up doing a punching gesture about a foot away from the object. My arms will also randomly jerk and the sensation is so uncomfortable that my shoulders end up rigid and I need to push against something really hard to get any relief. Again it's a similar story with my mouth, I struggle to speak, I suddenly feel the need to open my jaw as wide as possible or the opposite and I feel I'm unable to open my mouth. The attacks last usually between 10 and 30 minutes and I can usually speed it up by just sitting down with my eyes closed and not moving at all. I've had up to two in a day before but sometimes can go weeks without one. I was referred to hospital and had an mri scan and bloods done but nothing was found and to be honest I feel so stupid explaining it that I've given up. Another thing that was suggested was it may be a form of panic attack but it's happened in the most relaxed of environments and the only reasoni feel panicked is because of the sensation and lack of control. I also do actually experience panic attacks and they've always been much more stereotypical, not being able to breathe, shaking etc. I don't experience pain when it happens just my muscles ache and a sensation that makes me want to completley tense up. I don't know what I hope to gain from writing it on here but any suggestions would be really appreciate or even if anyone has experienced anything similar it would be nice to know if you've made any progress or have any ideas. Thanks.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

In days gone by they would have taken you in for observation and waited for you having one but now space is at a premium.

Was the MRI of your brain and did you see a neurologist? Presumably if you have one at work or in the street an ambulance would be called.

• Posted

Yeah MRI was of brain and got referred to neurologist after but his theory was the panic attack despite the reasons above. As for when it happens I just tend to try and make my way somewhere it of the way and wait for it to pass. Work know I have 'funny turns' but I haven't gone into detail mainly due to embarrassment. The observation thing would be prefect, all I want is for a professional to witness it actually happening. For a while my mum stayed at my house with me and tried to get me to a&e when one started but they'd always passed by the time we got there so we just turned around.
    • Posted

derek made the same mistake with you as i did last night no links... Are you and Adam on twitter? If so let me know how to follow you. You cn follow me at @kaligt55 Maureen Tanguay
  • Posted

Have your cellphone or a camera handy and take a video, would be the easiest and most effective way to explain to doctors.
    • Posted

If someone saw us having one of these they would say we were having seizures. I know because i have a seizure disorder controled that was grand mal. These episodes do not touch the brain. Stictly uncontrolled limbs. When i would go to the dr he would say "oh, must be the seizures." Finally after about a year of this i said "Don't. Don't do it again. I am tired of being tagged with epilepsy and you check no further. You tag me and i am fed up. One more time and i get a new Dr. "Things went fine after that.

• Posted

Good idea, hadn't thought of that, Thank you =)

• Posted

Did you ever receive any further diagnosis related to this?  I have experienced almost exactly the same thing, but without the impact to the mouth.  It seems that my limbs become made of rubber and unable to control.  Moving a leg is as you describe - difficult and imprecise.  Reaching out with an arm only ends up somewhere near the intended location.  The duration is similar and is usually accompanied by sweats and some nausea.  I will soon go for a work up, but wondered if you have learned anything?
  • Posted

hi laura did you figure out whats wrong with you i suffer from the same thing and im only 16 its been happening for about 5 and a half years, 10+ a day 
  • Posted

Hi Laura, this is weird. The same thing has been happening to me. In fact i had one just an hour ago. The worst one ever. Lasted about half hour as i got up from the chair. The other ones last no more than five mins. This one scared me. Everyone wanted to call 911. I have so many things wrong with me i don't know where to begin looking. I did have a seizure disorder but it is controled with Primidone and these are not grand mal seizures. This is totally different. Right now the back of my neck really hurts and has been on and off. I have spinal stenosis. Artheriosclerosis and due to radiation from throat cancer have lost (deterierated) my ear drum with not much left of the other. Radiation was 22 yrs ago and my accupuncturist helped me through the blocked coratid arteries because the drs would not allow any further xrays. Surgery on the arteries was denied because of the web like mess in there that he said he would not touch with a ten foot pole. Have already had open heart because they could not do catherization. So, let me know if you are on twitter and maybe we can get together and figure this out. I know i am scared. Really scared after tonight.

• Posted

Laura, you can't use links in here. So this is what i typed in a Google search. Should be the top one. Does this fit you? It does me all the way. "could degenerative arthritis of the neck cause one to lose control of their limbs?"

• Posted

I wonder if Hanna Somatics would work on this or not? It’s an impactful, simple, yoga type exercise that creates new neuropathways in your brain. The primary focus is that it relieves chronic pain (my tennis elbow is gone!) but what happens is it restores sensory motor amnesia - this could strengthen the relationship between the muscles and your brain? It kind of sounds like it’s nerves though, but it may still strengthen the brain overall to overtake it? It’s also a very relaxing form of “exercise” so if it is anxiety related it may help with that too?

There are lots of free videos on YouTube to start out targeting certain parts of the body. I’ll find you a link.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.