I am currently taking Epilim Chrono (900mg) and Lamitrog...

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am currently taking Epilim Chrono (900mg) and Lamitrogen(125mg)which was prescribed by my neurologist and it seems that i appear to be losing my memeory and it is getting worse, I keep forgetting things that happen at work (say 3/4 days earlier), also I have never been early regarding going to bed but I am feeling very tired during the early part of the night.

[i:36f4546508]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:36f4546508]

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

[quote:db0e1ba36e=\"S.\"]I am currently taking Epilim Chrono (900mg) and Lamitrogen(125mg)which was prescribed by my neurologist and it seems that i appear to be losing my memeory and it is getting worse, I keep forgetting things that happen at work (say 3/4 days earlier), also I have never been early regarding going to bed but I am feeling very tired during the early part of the night.

[i:db0e1ba36e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:db0e1ba36e][/quote:db0e1ba36e]

I've a different experience. I've been taking Lamitrogen (400mg) but it has not controlled my seizure. I've recently been advised by my neurologist to take Epilim Chrono (200mg) in addition to the Lamitrogen. After a few days of taking Epilim, I feel dizzy and nausea. I have been throwing up almost everything I eat. I'm reduced to lying on my bed all day long. Whilst waiting for an appointment to see my neurologist, is there anything anyone can advise? Thanks

• Posted

Chloe, although I have Epilepsy myself I can't offer official 'advice' - but I will say that for my own part - I'd stick with the old meds and drop the new one and make an appointment to see (and tell), my GP, while waiting to see my consutant again. Anyhow, if that was happening to me that's what I would do personally. I'm pretty sure that if you read the insert in the meds that's what it will advise.

Meantime, I hope you soon stop being sick.

• Posted

hi i was just reading your post on epilim and i see u were taking epilim and lamotragine at the time together....i myself have been on bothe together...that was yrs ago tho ive not been on lamotragine for ages tho but they kept me on the epilim.... i started having memory loss in 2005 i was in a hotel and was getting ready for bed....just b4 that i went to the bathroom wich was a big room so i couldnt understand if i hit my head or anything cos it would of been impossible hehe but then all of a sudden i woke up in the hospital with tubes down my throat and nothing on~!!!!! i didnt even know who anyone was...not even my own mother or my nan who i ring very day just to check i am ok! as im a few yrs away from my nan anyway i have since been suffering with alot of memory loss and sleeping alot!! plus alot of other side effects like weight gaining and hair loss!! only the doctor at my gp doesnt believe me and wants me to change my epilepsy tablets when i am allergic to most of them! even my neurolagist will agree with me as ive had him for almost 16yrs now! anyway just have a think maybe it could be a fault to the doctor and they dont really know that if u mix any other epilepsy tablets with epilim it will bring the side effects out more!!! i am now only taking epilim and i still have the memory loss and i do sleep alot! infact its a lie i am on calobazam too since i was in hospitall all of may!! but when i was on epilim by its self i wasnt this drowsy and my side effects wernt this bad!! so good luck and see how things go...ive now been offerd again the VNS implant so hopefully that will help me become normal again as i am desprate as i have 5 kids and in february 2012 i kept telling my partner to get rid of the baby as i only have 2 kids!! when i have 5 but 3 living with me!! so that upset me...but then in may2010 i told my doctor i havnt got any kids..... and then when i rememberd i told him " did u know i have 5 kids" he laffed n sed yeh i was there at all the births !! i was even more upset as my 4th kid turned 3 a few days b4 i went in in may i was so upset about it if i was you id keep a diary or something and see how that helps if nothing can be helped then try talking bout the vns....maybe its the epilim thats giving u the memory loss as it sounds just like how my past was xxx take care x P.Ssorry for the long reply hehehe
  • Posted

i also forgot that yes i too have to sleep alot wich has stopped me from working because if i dont sleep then i will fit even more! i think its the epilim...... even my GP told me epilim doesnt make u drowsy when!! AHEM yes it does...ive been on it for nearly 10yrs now! and im redused to be classed as disabled and i cant work because i have to sleep it even sound lazy ! hehe
  • Posted

My son was changed to Epilim slowly to try and stop seizures it worked for a while then they started again he is taking 50 lamictal twice daily 250 topiramate 700 Epilim pm and 500 Epilim a m still having seizures consultant still wants to increase Epilim I am very worried about this can anyone advise / he is very lathargic
  • Posted

My son has epilepsy age 27 he only works 3 days weekly and lives at home I desperately want him to have a happy life does anyone think it is possible for him to live independently and how do we go about it and how cache meet girls and have normal relationships he has a. Lot of friends and enjoys nights out but he never seems to meet girls I think it's a confidence thing has anyone any advice I would dearly like my son to move forward with his life and be happy
  • Posted

If you join the British Epilepsy Association or look at their website there are various activities and meetings for young people with epilepsy and information about ways of getting in touch with other young people in the same boat. It's a way of getting started and getting back some confidence.
  • Posted

My husband was epileptic for 25 years. He tried every known drug and combination other than the one he's on now. One thing he noticed the first time he was on Lamictal and Valproic acid (tegretol/Epilim) was overdose symptoms. Constant nausea, vomiting, dizziness..etc...That may be what is being experienced with some of you. Lamictal and Valproic Acid are very similar drugs, just basically renamed and repackaged. As a result, he was very leery of going back on Lamictal on the advice of his epileptologist. However, the very same day he conceded out of desperation, to try divalproax (Epival, which he was already on, along with the Lamictal, everything stopped dead. His EEG is now completely clean, and he's been 9 months seizure free. He suffered Ideopathic, Secondary Generalized epilepsy and wasn't free of seizures a week in his 25 years of being epileptic, and now he takes 1/2 a tablet of the lowest available dose of Lamictal twice a day along with his 500 mg of Divalproax and is now completely seizure free with no side effects. May be something to look at.
  • Posted

Hi all. I am seeing these posts late.  Think we should keep the conversation going. To Chloe hope your memory is better. The good news to some of you...I have been taking epilim chrono 1g once a day and lamctal 50mg once a day for about 10 years. I have been fit free now 6 years and am going to see my neurologist for possible weaning off. Moral...you can beat this. I am a functioning manager in a Multinational and doing an MBA. I wish to give you all hope. This combination can work with minimal interference to your life if you are positive. I would love to continue talking and exchanging ideas with you.

Powuor

• Posted

I have been on phenobarbitone since 14 and recently Keppra which do me no good.  I feel tired on Keppra I am now 68 the only pills that have helped me are phenobarbitone my pals go "Oh strong ones" !! but they do much more for me than Epanutin,Keppra, valium or librium ever did  for me.  Without side effects.  Good luck all xx
  • Posted

Hi, have recently been diagnosed with being epileptic after collapsing 2 weeks after a car accident, which I was luckily unscathed. Fine for 2 weeks and then collapsed. Hopspital of 3 weeks, all tests MRI, ECG, CAT Scan, Lumber Puncture - nothing - so they decided I was epileptic and discharged me immediatley with a load of pills. Phenytoin & Lamotrogine

Feeling ok overall just now am on the max 200mg of Lamotrigine and 100 mg Phenytion - which I am supposed to be reducing by 25mg every week until I am off it.

But as I mentioned before, when I reduce by 25mg - I am not well for about 2/3 days - until I seem to 'balance' out amd then am back to being OK.

The initial few months I was in a rotten state - could not remeber things from a few days past. I could tell you things form years ago but not what happened yesterday.

But after a few months in has passes and I am back to 'normal' (If you can call it that!!!)

Feeling ok overall just now am on the max 200mg of Lamotrigine and 100 mg Phenytion - which I am supposed to be reducing by 25mg every week until I am off it.

It  is a bit rotten but it it passes!!!

So it does get better. 

John 2414

• Posted

I to am on both these drugs, The side effects of lamotrigine are dizziness, blurred vision shakes/ tremors aswell as loss of memory. I've also been diagnosed with 'essential' to the extent that both arms/ hands are effected seriously. NHS Choices is a good website find out what drugs, side effects can be used for illnesses.

I had to tell my gp about everything i mentioned. Don't forget they have a duty of care

cheers

simon b

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.