I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially...

Posted , 29 users are following.

I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially for the first 6 weeks had very heavy bleeding and a shoting pain to my right side. I returned back to the clinic who gave me a scan etc and assured me everything was ok. Due to the heavy bleeding which had been continuous for 6 weeks I was given some tablets which helped to stop the flow of bleeding. I have to say that since this everything has been fine. No periods with the occasional spotting. However, in the recent months basically since September 06 - 4 years on I have noticed that I am spotting and although I can not say a real proper bleed I have passed a small clot or two. I did make a call to the manufacturers asking them have they had any feedback regarding the effectiveness of the coil after 4 years as opposed to 5 years and the response I got was not it should still be fine. Personally I am starting to worry as why now after 4 years should I start spotting and bleeding each month at a certain time.

Can anyone shed any light on this and have they experienced anything like this towards the end of the life period of the coil?

[i:d520fc8f51]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d520fc8f51]

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was checing this website today as I've has exactly the same experience. I'm wondering if it's still effective since I'm bleeding a lot more regularly now and need to use tampax, whereas before I went for years without needing even a pantiliner. Seems a little odd to me. I'm going to keep looking for more information.

[i:80ad959741]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:80ad959741]

• Posted

I've had the same experience - no periods for the past 4 years, and now recently an increase in spotting turning into a near-normal period. I'm wondering if it's still effective after 4 years.

[i:df3d139df5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:df3d139df5]

• Posted

I had mine fitted about 4 years ago after an endrometrial ablation which was needed to cure extremely heavy periods. All has been well, I've had a period every month, but it has been extremely scant, barely needing a pant line and I've had no pain (previously they were very painful as well as heavy). However 4 weeks ago my period started as normal and instead of ending after a few days it has continued. The blood is "old" (brown coloured) and although not heavy, heavier than I've experienced for the last 4 years - I'm having to use a pant liner constantly.

I will have to seek medical advice, but having read these posts it does seem that the Mirenas effectiveness might well wain after 4 years.

[i:073946e12c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:073946e12c]

• Posted

I have been advised by my gp to have the mirena coil fitted. Previously i had normal coil fitted, my periods have always been normal and regular before and after having coil fitted and never had any problems but i am extremely worried about having mirena fitted after reading various accounts about pain,constant bloatness,bleeding and also the length of time it seems to take side effects to settle. I am currently waiting for appointment to have my old coil replaced by mirena and am really worried. I just liked the idea of not having a period but am wondering are the side effects worth it. The one thing i hated about having a period was how bloated i got. Does the mirena make you bloated all the time or just around the time of your period?

I would be very grateful if you would help me with any info that you feel I need to know.

ThankyouBerni

• Posted

My mirena was due out april this year,but due to one thing or another I never got round to it,but now I am desperate as the problems I am experiencing are worrying me.For the first 3 years i continued to have a regular period,then they totally stopped, now 5 years 4 months on my periods have come back upto 3 times a month for 3days at a time,only slight mind you but the pains in my lower abdomen and back,my mood swings and slight incontinence plus lack of sex drive are now making me think has the coil broke down or am i in the change?.desparate to have a new one fitted to see if this all stops but cannot get a refit untill september!! how frustrating..Mmm maybe a test for the menapause wouldnt go amiss too.
  • Posted

[i:c14dc05465]I am due to have the mirena fitted on the 15 October. I am absolutely petrified after reading your experiences. I have been given tablets to take 2 hours beforehand, but I feel that is not enough. I had a child 20 years ago by C-Section and am 41. Thank u[/img][/i:c14dc05465]
    • Posted

Hi Deb,

I had the mirena in for almost 3 years. Got it taken out a few months ago because my partner and I have decided to TTC again. The insertion was bearable and after the cramps were sore, but it was gone the next day for me. My periods were irregular with a sort of light spotting all month for about 5-6months, but after that I never looked back! Spotted for about 1-2 days a month, not enough to even have to wear a pantyliner. I would recommend the mirena. No worrying about taking the pill or using condoms, etc. etc.

I wouldn't let anyone elses experience influence your decision whether or not to get the mirena inserted. You obviously thought something of it to consider getting it put in, so I would go ahead with it. Everyone will respond to all methods of contraception differently and if you don't like it or it causes you bother then you can get it removed. As I said, I would recommend it for a long term method of contraception.

Hope this has helped a little!

Leah

• Posted

I'm just realising that this was posted over a year ago! Someone must have commented on the original post for it to show up as recent

I'm just wondering... Did you end up getting the mirena inserted?

Leah

• Posted

found this thread looking to an answer to my concern 'after 4.5 years of wearing mirena i now have spotted 3 months in a row'

still can't really find an answer except that 'mirena's' time is up.

on the other hand i read a lot of bad about mirena on here and i just wanted to share that i personally never

had any problem with it. no pain inserting it, periods were gone entirely after 3 months until now, 4.5 years into it. going to see my doc to get checked out and getting another one!

good luck y'all!

• Posted

I had mine put in in 2009 and I'm due to have it changed in July. I've had no period since they put it in. The last couple of months I've had some light spotting but today I got a period. I'm a little worried now. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one.
  • Posted

I'm on my second mirena. The first was placed around 2004 and then removed about 5 or 6 years later. everything was fine. They put a new one in, I think at the same visit when they took the old one out, so it's been about 4.5 years. I think I stopped getting my period (which used to be heavy and horrible) within the first month or two of the original IUD, and haven't had it at all since then. Now, all of a sudden, today I started bleeding. definitely more than just spotting. I have cramps too and had a migraine for the past two days. Has anyone found out any further info on this? Is my mirena just all used up? I don't understand. Please help! Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi ladies, I'm experiencing similar symptoms to all of you, with the return of my period for the first time in 4 years with the mirena coil. I have been doing some research and read on a couple of pages that the Mirena normally released 20mg of hormone a day, however this can reduce to approximately 12mg of hormone a day after four years usage. This might explain why we are having changes?
  • Posted

I hope that's what it is, I guess. And I suppose I should go get it replaced ASAP. I am wondering now though about side effects, as I started using the mirena almost ten years ago, when less was know known about its

effects. I can hardly explain how I feel right now-and I am curious as to other symptom anyone else is feeling-but it's more than just the bleeding; i mean, I have full on cramps (though less blood today than yesterday), I feel super vulnerable and emotional. I cried a lot this morning, I feel tired, yet I feel this weird, refreshing release. It's very confusing. And very hard to explain to my boyfriend, who can't understand why I seem so upset, or why I feel a little more guarded/less comfortable about my body. Ick.

• Posted

I have had the mirena for 3.5 years (almost to the day) and have had the best time with it, with no bleeding and no side effects. Other methods of BC made me very hormonal and so this has been a relief. The last 4 days though I've had a-bit-more-than-spotting-a-bit-less-than-a-period, along with dull cramps. which has led me here.

lulu1015, your post is so reassuring as I've been really emotional and vulnerable over the last few days and now I see the connection between the two!

I'm going to try to see someone later this week so will report back on what happens...

• Posted

I have had my marina coil 5 years this month it has lasted exactly the right amount of time i am 52, how i know this i have just started spotting a lot.The nurse said to me i dont need it removeing as it will still give me protection?i do not think this is right i am going to contact my GP.has anybody else been told this information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.