Dental Abscess below a filled root canal tooth major pain help!

Posted , 41 users are following.

I have been suffering severe pain on the right hand side of my face/ jaw on and off since the end of December. At worst it’s totally debilitating can’t eat or sleep and can’t focus on anything. I have been to the dentist 3 times so far in mid January he prescribed amoxycilin which did very little. I was then waiting for an emergency appointment for 2 weeks when I finally got in for an ex-ray they weren’t able to read it for another week and a half as the x-ray machine had broke. I finally got in for another appointment last wednesday to get the results of my x-ray and start treatment. As I had expected and been telling my dentist I have an abscess below a root canal tooth, this tooth had always felt weird and sensitive and have been telling my dentist this for years. He told me he doesn’t think all the pain I have been experiencing is from this abscess as the nerve should be dead yet I feel it emanates from here although when its severe the whole side of my jaw is intensely throbbing top and bottom. Basically he has started to remove deep filled fillings on my back right molars and put in a new treatment that builds a layer of false tooth between the nerve and filling of a deeply filled tooth. He said he would ask me in a month if I would like to have the abscessed root canal re done or pulled. In the mean time I am still in acute pain that is stopping me sleeping at times. This can be better for a day or so and then come on more severe and debilitating again. I feel really drained and generally quite unwell as its been almost two months of suffering with this. I wanted to ask two questions. Has any one got advice on whether I should pull or try and save the root canal tooth? Has anyone experienced the same thing? I have read some scary stuff about abscess potentially causing auto immune diseases (I already have ulcerative colitis which Is an AI disease) Also should I go see a second dentist as mine seems to be very slow and even after diagnosis he wants me to wait a month after already suffering for two months! I have managed to keep it at bay some of the time with garlic capsules, salt water and tea tree mouth washes, clove oil and lots of strong pain killers. I am now in the more intense agonising pain and even pain killers don’t help, I believe it is the abscess causing this agony I just feel really let down by my dentist and Im not sure what to do next... need some relief please help!

3 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you may well need to be on antibiotics in order to take down the infection and inflammation of the abscess, then I would suggest finding a dentist that will actually either redo the root canal job, or pull the tooth all in all. Your problem is not that rare: a blotched root canal can be the cause of a lot of grief and pain and it is more common than you think. However there is no need for you to wait for so long, a course of antibiotic will go from a week to ten days, then the dentist can do his/her job. A month or two is really not acceptable, especially since it is damaging to your jaw bone, your mouth health -and- your liver health to have an ongoing infection for so long.

Good luck!

• Posted

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM,, A RECENT ROUTECANAL 1 YEAR LATER  A LIITLE WHITE SPOT ON GUM ,, IT STARTS BUILDING UP PRESSURE  [ ITS PUS ,, I BREAK IT , IT BLEEDS AND GOES DOWN , I GARGLE WITH OREGANO OIL ALSO ,,KILLS BACTERIA ,, BUT NOT ABCESS , DENTIST WONT ADMIT ITS THE ROUTE , HE SAYS ITS PERIO ISSUE THATS BULL S ,, THE IMMUNE SYS. IS ATTCTED BY THE INFECTION ,, BE COOL 
  • Posted

honestly in your case not mine ,,,,although i just might pull the two teeth with the pus pimple below the gum ,,, trying every possible herbs rinses ,, u name it ,,, gum gets tender swollen the i break gum press on it then goes away and then 1 week its back , tightness occurs in lower jaw ,, but thank god no severe pain and misery your going through ,, either pul the bum or cut and  clean infection ,, my dentist wants to pull and bridge ,, it works but costs , and losing more real teeth sucks ,,
  • Posted

I have had the same promblem for a bout a month now. Im only 11 years old. My dentist never put a crown on my tooth so i think its his fault. He said that i wouldn't need a crown... i don't know why. I start school next wendesday any suggestions for the pain. Thank you!
  • Posted

11 years old u need a qualified dentist sweetie,,, your way too young for caps and route canals ,, anyway pain means problem , swollen means also problem , so does stiffness , and white pus spot on the gum also means infection ,,, tell your parents 
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, and my parents already know. When i got my routecanal i was 9 it didn't start hurting until recently. My gums are really swollen, and i have a sore on my cheek and above my gums. Do you know what i should do?
    • Posted

U SHOULD SCREAM AT YOUR PARENTS AND TELL THEM YOU NEED DENIST AND QUICK,,, PLEASE 
    • Posted

Ok im going to take your suggestion... but my mom called today and she asked them if i could get some medicine so they have to do a check- up and see whats wrong smile
    • Posted

SIMPLE X RAY WILL TELL THEM IF SOMETHING IS WRONG ,, IF ITS INFECTED THEY WILL RE DO THE ROUTE CANAL OVER ,,OR JUST PULL IT THEN INFECTION USUALLY DIES 
    • Posted

you poor thing!! that didn't start with me until around age 25. Please go see an oral surgeon and ask for a PANOREX. its a special x-ray that does all your teeth and jaw bones at once-- it will show if you have any bone infections, which it sounds like you might. best of luck
  • Posted

sorry its too late to reply but i just joined ........

you just go to get your teeth saved. Go for re rct and also do saline water gargles 5-7times aday

• Posted

with pain that severe, it is unlikely that a re-treatment will do any good. 11 years ago I was told to 'save my teeth'. seriously? why? I couldn't use them, they were that fragile and I have all crowns now anyway. I know real teeth are supposed to be healthier, but not if they keep breaking! Didn't mean to be so harsh, sorry! 
  • Posted

SALT WATER HELPS ,, BUT DOES NOT KILL INFECTION,,, IF TOOTH IS FAR GONE OR ROUTE IS CRACKED ITS GOTTA COME OUT ,,, YOU KEEP SWALLOWING PUS IT GOES IN STOMACH AND BLOOD 
    • Posted

yes pus can be swallon in that case but i am saying if kezza can't get other help then this can be done...........
  • Posted

Just started on discussion after looking for some advice .have very same symptoms..pain on right side and problems with bottom back tooth..on pain killers all week..went to dentist who referred me.. I need root canal treatment as abscess at end of root..also needs a crown once treatment done..total cost approx €1600. There is no guanantee it will work and if not, tooth will have to be pulled which will mean total waste of money.

Have to decide whether to go with treatment or get tooth pulled. From talking to two friends who got root canal done, both said to get tooth pulled as their teeth still cause problems after root canal completed.

Very close to making decision on getting tooth pulled but nervous about the side effects of this in relation to losing bone etc..the effects on the upper tooth etc etc..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.