I did not know young people could get Dementia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been reading and listened to the blog/podcast By Ronnie on the BBC blog site I did not know that young people can get Dementia.

I would recommend anyone to read the blog and add a comment

We need lots more young people with dementia to do as Ronnie is doing - talk about their situation, be open, live their present life fully

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/posts/Diagnosed-with-dementia-when-young

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rnt44

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, they can, Elsie, and it's tragic.

|To see people as young as forty with dementia must be very difficult for their families - especially knowing that demenia is a terminal disease.

People need to know about this.

Jasper.

• Posted

Hi Jasper, dementia is a combination of symptoms relating to the reduction of one's ability to function as they would normally do. So to call it a specific disease would be wrong. It is a mental health issue mainly due to the shrinkage of one or several areas of the brain. If you had a very very fat tummy and you lost loads of weight, you could well have sagging skin where you used to have lots of fat. Would you call that a disease? It is the same for dementia. That is why people feer it because some people think that they can catch it, hence the word disease is now an extinct word when it comes to dementa. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

Hi Elsie4o782, unfortunatly a type of dementia called frontal temporal dementia and can affect children also, however the mean age is between 40 and 65 years. It when diagnosed there is a very short life expectancy of about 8 years or less if it is severe. It shows itself first by memory and speech problems then can develop in to Motor Neurone Disease. There is quite a few varients of the disease. Just Google FTL dementia and you can then see how nasty the disease is. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

I myself need help here. I have acute anxiety. I can't share with anyone. I tend to forget very little things and names of things eg. I couldn't even remember the name of garlic and various other things like that. What do I do? M married and living with in-laws which is the reason behind all this. I used to be a very cheerful girl before. M just 28. Please help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.