tea tree oil treatment for rosacea

Posted , 21 users are following.

I have had rosacea for over ten years and with exception of during pregnancy have been on medication with little sucess. I then read an artical on tea tree oil. I must stress nothing is proven but I thought I would give it a go. My skin is really sensitive so initiall I added a few drops to my moisteriser and over a month gradually started to bath my skin with it a few drops in water. Interestingly I started to notice my break outs were appearing around the jaw line but not on the cheeks and forhead as they had done for years. I took more care to bath my jaw line also and now nearly threemonths on find I am able to apply the oil direct to my face the difference to my skin is amazing. The break outs have reduced dramatically and the redness has also started to subside. I am keeping my fingers crossed as this has happened before but after a few months it returns so I will keep you posted but must stress to be really careful I have introduced this slowly to my skin but I am feeling positive so far. I have read other people have also had similar experiences and also note that some have been dismissed by fellow suffers as "its obviously not rosacea" comments. I will keep you posted but would be keen to hear if anyone else has tried this.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice,will try the treatment. The rosacea seems to be getting worse it is now on my forehead as well. Have tried most treatments and they dont work. Once again thanks.
  • Posted

Well unfortunately after about four months my tea tree treatment is no longer working. I have had an outbreak a bad one. So disappointed and fed up with this. Anyone with other suggestions okesse help
    • Posted

I am using metroruboril cream from Isis pharma, a Swiss company, and I keep it undercontrol. I use it every day and night, on my cheeks, nose and chin, around the jaw. If I get any breakouts they go away fast because of the cream. I also use  Ruboril range for make up removal gel and also a water made for the face, you can wash your face in it, removes make up also. I find Isis Pharma to be the best and ruboril, too.

Suncream protection 50! I have not taken any pills yet, I had laser on my face to deal with the red broken veins

twice and there is also glycolic peel which seems to work, I never had this peel but I might. I also used antibacterial wash for my face.

I hope you know that we have demodex mites faeces in the poeres on our faces, they are harmless but leave faceces behind, and the small broken veins have a different cause, not connected with the mites.

Take care,

• Posted

Hi again, 

I need to say that I use Rubialine for make up removal and their water as well, not Ruboril as I said in my previous message. It is a French company, very good!

Metroruboril from Isis Pharma, makes a gel also, but I did not find it as good as the cream.

Take care

• Posted

Hi I am  72 years old! I have Rosacea & Rhinophyma as a side effect to Testosterone injections! I have the Rosacea under control by taking 4x 250 mg tablets of oxytetracycline & using Metrogel prescribed by my GP! The Rhinophyma is another issue! Apparently the septum in my nose is now bent over at the top closing my left nostril! This is new & exacerbates my deafness! I was examined three weeks ago & had a camera successfully pushed through both nostrils into my throat but the "stuffed up" nasal congestion continues!

I hope this helps! BTW I also "had" three years of bladder cancer which when checked today hasn't returned!

• Posted

I feel your pain. I have been using TTO for a few months with its ups and downs for my acne rosacea. My suggestion to you is to not stop with it. I still suffer from flare ups. I think TTO is effective when it is supplemented with other products. My forehead has minimal breakouts now, but I still have overall redness and flare ups on my jaw and lower cheek. I stopped using harsh soaps even if they were natural. I just did my best to stay away from glycerin. I switched to the oil cleansing method with Jojoba. Coconut oil makes my skin super red (?). A good moisturizer is key. The only stuff that works for me is anything from Lush (US & UK). Genuinely all natural. If you have a store near you they are great at helping and give samples. Tell them you have rosacea and need to test producs first. I also make my own scrub to keep in the fridge as you know our skin tends to get flakier than most. Ground coffee+raw sugar+squeezed lemon juice to make it slushie like. I try to use this every night after I've cleansed with oil. My method is warm skin up under water, massage oil in, then rub off gently with warm wash cloth or with towel when i dry off. Some.people go elaborate and steam their face with a super hot wash cloth but I like to massage directly in warm water. Way more practical and relaxing. Don't give up. Obviously TTO is tried and true for you and it did help at one time. Just figure out what isn't and you can replace to help aid the TTO. Also I am.going to buy a gel pack to put on my face after my moisturizer for all the inflammation. I am also taking Olive Leaf Extract just because it keeps popping up in my research. I try to get 500mg 2x/day for an aggressive antiviral treatment. Supposed to do this for two weeks then back down to 1x/day. From Lush I just got samples for Herbalism face wash (totally soothing) and Imperialis moisturizer (mixed this with a little TTO). The verdict is out on the moisturizer only because I got another sample to try at the suggestion of the girl that helped me - Cosmetic Lad. I'm pretty impressed with the wash I tried, but she did give me Aqua Marina to try as well. I hope this helps! God bless!
    • Posted

Oh! I have been taking olive leaf for at least four or five days. Not a significant change, but I do notice my flare ups that were scabby or open looking begin to close and heal. Rosacea sufferers are supposed to give it 3 weeks. Also after I wash with the oil I do the scrub and that takes care of any excess oil. I usually only use water to wash in the morning unless I feel gross then I use the oil and scrub. Hope this helps :*
    • Posted

Oh! I have been taking olive leaf for at least four or five days. Not a significant change, but I do notice my flare ups that were scabby or open looking begin to close and heal. Rosacea sufferers are supposed to give it 3 weeks. Also after I wash with the oil I do the scrub and that takes care of any excess oil. I usually only use water to wash in the morning unless I feel gross then I use the oil and scrub. Hope this helps :*
    • Posted

Anything pharmaceutical tends to make me more read. Strange. I also use Baby Organics 50 spf sunscreen everyday before my make up. Lush has liquid foundation to try but the only way to get medium coverage ia to dot it on with a brush or blender. If you rub it in instead it will be light coverage. Also try to avoid anything with bees wax. I was using 100 Percent Natural liquid foundation but it has a thickener in it that I think is blocking my pores - Candleilla wax. It also has honey suckle in it. Can't remember if that is good or bad. But this brand tends to use natural thickeners that my skin doesnt agree with. Please reply and let us know how your are doing!!
    • Posted

Esther you shouldn't scrub rosacea that makes it flare even more . Cool milk cleaner is the best with tea tree gel . Tho I suffer bad atm I know never to scrub . Hope this helps

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with rosacea by a doctor and two dermatologists and I have been using a proskin cream by mama nature that is specifically intended for rosacea. Thia has tea tree oil in it and it works fabulously for me so there must be something in this demodex mite theory. Mama Nature say that demodex mites cause it and there cream works so what does that tell you. Ignore the negative Nellies and skeptics because as far as I am concerned these people are just plain ignorant and in the dark about most things. The proof is in the pudding. This cream is strong smelling (tea tree) so it might be better for some people to use only at night like me.
    • Posted

Hi! You cant really say "ignore the negative nellies!"  They have a right to be sceptical as do I! I started with Rosacea 7 years ago at age 65 & tried a lot of the "quack" remedies which did nothing but add to the coffers of people selling products that supposedly Worked! I take 1000mg of oxyteracycline/day & the postules of acne no longer put in their appearance! There is a price however! I have Rhinophyma also which doesn't respond to the antibiotics which occasional give me oral thrush!
  • Posted

You're right, green tea can be very efficient in rosacea treatment. But also could recommend the products containing Aloe Vera which is just the treasure trove of minerals and vitamins, and Myrtle (it has been well said that Myrtle is the symbol of the renewal) I am a beautician and work with cosmetics Anna Lotan and they have a line for fragile skin called ALodem. I use it and see huge improvements. Also, recommend to wipe your face every day with Aloe Vera juice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.