Clarivein

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had a painful experience with the Clarivein method of removing varicose veins?

I ask because I had this treatment 2weeks ago and found it very painful. Although everything

I had read said it was fairly painless. My recovery so far has been ok although my calf is various

Shades of purple and brown and looks quite a mess.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi im due to get clarivein method done in 2 weeks time. Bit nervous about this.
  • Posted

Hope it goes ok for you. Let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Should have said I am healing quite well and bruising has almost gone. Still getting the odd twinge which I think us normal. I go back to my Consultant in 3weeks time for check up.
  • Posted

Hi sorry just seen this reply here. I go next week for the procedure. How are you doing now?
  • Posted

Am doing ok now. Most of the discomfort has gone. I go back for my check up with the Consultant in a

Couple of weeks. all the bruising has gone now, although you can still see pin prick marks. I am sure you will be fine. It will be interesting to hear how you get on? Where are you having your treatment? I had mine done in Manchester.

• Posted

I had the Clarivein treatment done about 7 weeks ago. I found one leg more painful but the vein was very close to the skin surface. Afterwards, I did feel more pain than I had thought I would but, to be fair, I think it was the avulsions removal from my calf that could have added to the pain. I was very bruised as well and still have the pin pricks but they are fading. The inside of my thighs are still sore to press. I've started exercising.. Just some running but my right knee is painful and not sure if it is related or not. I am returning for some sclerotherapy in a few weeks to hopefully reduce some veins on my shin.
  • Posted

Max,

About a month ago, I had the same experience as you. I posted about it here, but couldn't find my post because I had a second procedure and, this time, it was not painful, and I wanted to update my negative post!

After the first procedure, tears were streaming down my cheeks and my doctor was surprised. He insisted it wasn't so bad, but I told him it was very unpleasant. That was my first of 6 scheduled treatments - the second one was for the very next day. I had to cancel. I just couldn't go through with that, two days in a row!

I told my doctor, I'd have to go through the procedures at a much slower pace. Fast forward to last week when I had the same vein lasered in my other leg. This time the procedure was not uncomfortable, at all. My doctor said he used a different technique. The only thing he specified was that he used a fresh needle with each injection (of the numbing medication). I must say that the injections were almost painless, but the first time I could feel them more, lol. However, the first time, the laser catheter inside my vein was uncomfortable, at times, so I don't know how he avoided that, the second time.

I'm usually a 'tough old broad,' in that I'm not a baby about pain, so I don't know exactly what happened the first time. Being tough, I declined the Xanax they offered me, to take the evening before and thirty minutes prior to the treatments. However, my doctor suggested I take it, so the second time, I accepted the prescription and religiously took the medication as prescribed! lol Maybe that was the difference! Here on out, I WILL take the Xanax for the procedure.

The first two procedures were the great saphenous vein, and my doctor said the other two procedures in each leg would be like a walk in the park compared to the first two, so I am now optomistic that my first experience was a fluke (I make this comment quite happily!)

Also, both times, I've done extremely well after the procedure, with perhaps a tiny bit of soreness upon touching the area and some itching, a few days later. No bruising or swelling, and no pain. My doctor is a thoracic surgeon who went to the laser ablations, later in his career, to wind down his pace a bit. He's unusually well qualified to do this, and I feel that has made much difference in my outcome, compared to what I'm reading here. 

I noticed your post was a while back. Hopefully, you're doing well now.

• Posted

I just had the Clarivein procedure on my first leg today. I have a high pain tolerance, but it hurt so much I was crying like a baby. I made sure to do lots of walking after the procedure, thinking it would help with the after pain I also felt... Unfirtubateky I'm in bed crying right now because my leg hurts SO much. I'm going to have to call my doctor and ask him if I can take anything fir the pain. It's so bad. 😢

• Posted

I am thinking of clairivein procedure! I read about your painful experience, it is scaring me a little. How you doing now? Was it painful for a long time? 
  • Posted

Hello there! You posted your experience four years ago, I am thinking about the clairivein procedure and I really would like to hear your opinion. Did the procedure worked out.? Was it painful for a long time. ? Did it help with pain in legs.?

Are you happy you done it?

• Posted

I know this is a few months old but figured i'd chime in.  I just had this treatment done yesterday and the treatment itself wasn't painful.  The after affect feelings were some tenderness along some of the veins.  Nothing that Tylenol didn't solve.  Will see how the rest of the week goes and my 1 week follow up.   

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time answering my questions. If you wouldn't mind I would like to hear how your sympthoms had approved. I had a laser surgery 10 years ago. The main reason was the heaviness and aching. The surgery didn't help at all. My lower leg is aching constantly, that is why I am asking you to share the results later on if you dont mind.

thanks again

hilda

• Posted

I'm currently almost 3 weeks post Clarivein and I can feel the difference in m legs and see the difference also. I would recommended getting your legs ultra sounded again and see if there is still some reflux remaining.

I've been getting sclerotherapy done weekly to close up any veins that the Clarivein couldn't do at the time.

• Posted

Thank you for the update on your recovery! I am glad it is working for you! I already had two ultra sounds with different doctors.(I just wanted to find out what's happening.) The first ultra sound's result was that I have two big vein in my lower leg with a reflux, but the second ultra sound showed no problem. The doctor said that sometimes the result depends on the technician.(pushing stronger) I really don't know what to do. The pain is still there, especially when I am standing in the kitchen for a longer time. I guess I'll wait a little. I just had sclerotherapy and apparently if the small veins come back soon, will show that there is a problem and then they will repeat the ultra sound.

thanks again for the info!

• Posted

It's been 7 months since i posted but figured i'd put in another update. All is well after my 6 month checkup. Even had a few that they didn't treat go away on their own (tributary of one of the other veins). Heavyness/etc that i was feeling before is resolved. I have a 1 year checkup in a few months and hopefully all is well.

Did you figure anything out on yours hilda?

• Posted

Hello there! Thank you so much for the update! I still haven't done anything yet! The two different ultra sound results discouraged me! My legs are aching constantly. I am still in bed, didn't get up yet, but my legs are already aching. What is puzzling me that from the outside you cannot tell I have problems with my veins. I am happy that you are ok. I should make a decision!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.