mallet finger

Posted , 10 users are following.

I injured my ring finger making a bed, I didn't even realise I had done it at first as I had no pain. I went to my local hospital and within an hour had been fitted with a splint. I was told to remove the splint twice a week to clean the finger, making sure the finger remained straight. I had to go back to the hospital 2 weeks later, I was then told to remove the splint daily. I then had to go back 4 weeks after that, 6 weeks in all. I now only have to wear the splint at night for 3 weeks. My finger is straight when I remove the splint in the morning but does slightly droop soon after, its only been 5 days since I could remove the splint and my finger aches at the end of the day but the movement I have is very good. I had a tight fitting splint which kept my finger straight at all times which is important. I've been lucky my mallet finger is ok but will always be careful when using it

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am into my 8th week after a volley ball injury. It did not hurt and I just looked down and the finger was drooping. It happens to be my right index finger which is really annoying as I am right handed. I was fitted straight away with a plastic splint. My finger swelled up and the splint became tight over the first 3 weeks. I returned to the hospital and was given the next size up which was too big. I customised it by padding it out with elastoplast. I am removing the splint occassionally and then the finger droops a bit so I keep returning to it. My finger does become sore after a while without the splint. Iwish I'd just broken it I'm sure it would have healed by now
  • Posted

hi my name is debbie and i sympathise with everybody with a mallet finger, wot a pain eh. i damaged my little finger on left hand trying too catch a bottle of perfume from falling of a shelf, honest ( my friends say it wos a bottle of vodka lol) just goes too show how easy it's done, i just got splint removed yesterday and like many of you it's still pretty swollen and hard to even think of trying too bend it but i will adhere too doc's advice and do it gradually over the next month. Good luck too all u mallet fingers out there.
  • Posted

I had my splint removed yesterday after 6 weeks of splinting for my mallet finger. It is very tight and I just need to work it out and try to bend it a little more each day. When I first removed the splint to show the doctor, my finger looked very straight. But now it droops very slightly. I'm wondering if I should use the brace again or if the drooping will resolve itself after a while. Anyone know?
    • Posted

Hi, just wondering how things turned out for you. I have had mallet finger for four weeks now, but am actually only at 2 weeks because my splint fell off twice and I had to start over. I was told to wear the splint 8 weeks and return to the dr, Aug 11.
  • Posted

I have just been told I have mallet finger & to wear a splint thing for 6 weeks. Unfortunately I find the splint comes loose as the tape holding it on gets wet with sweat or water & loses its stick! I even tried super glueing it to my finger but even that comes loose!

I sent off for a different design of splint called Oval 8. This is a very simple idea & Im hoping it will work for me, Its a lot more comfortable & no need for messy tape , only thing is they are very very expensive for what they are! Like nearly £20 for a little bit of plastic that really will cost 2 pence to make 100!

• Posted

Hi did you get the other brace? How well did it work? I also had trouble with the grace falling off when wet.
    • Posted

Hi, I bought it from Amazon. Hasnt worked tho! My finger is still bent - Im going back to see if doc could pin it!
    • Posted

Oh, im not the only one!! I simply rubbed my hands together on a cold night(17th may 2017) suddenly i felt my left middle finger's tip is in the way, no pain at all! Within 10 minutes i had a diy wire and electrical tape splint. I could only see the medic on the 25th of may as i was deployed. So my 8 weeks only started then. The splint i got is crap, it also comes loose when damp and there is too much movement inside it... Tomorrow i have to go for a 2 week check- up, will keep u up to date... Ps, check out mallet finger exercises on google or you tube.

• Posted

A mallet finger is a deformity of the finger caused when the tendon that straightens your finger is damaged. In a mallet finger, the fingertip droops: it cannot straighten on its own power. The finger may be painful, swollen and bruised, especially if there is an associated fracture, but often the only finding is the inability to straighten the tip. Occasionally, blood collects beneath the nail. The nail can even become detached from beneath the skin fold at the base of the nail. 
  • Posted

mallet finger what a nightmare, little finger on right hand,14 weeks in splint always getting wet! when take splint off just burns and so worried going to knock it. hospital thurs for review i recon this take up to a year to heal. so inconvient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.