Period again after none for 2 years?

Posted , 319 users are following.

I am 50 years old. I have not had a period for two years, but today I started. Is this normal?

26 likes, 1071 replies

1071 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I did have this happen to me also - postmenopausal bleeding - only a bit earlier (that is, a year and a half after no periods). I could not attribute it to any particular changes (e.g., slimming, stress) and was frightened. Saw my family doc asap. He ordered a transvaginal ultrasound and I think I also had a smear. All was normal. You certainly should report this to your doctor, though - standard orders for any such bleeding. Call today.
    • Edited

I am so glad to have found this forum. Suddenly had a period (very slight) after a 13 month period. I was not surprised to see it as two weeks prior had some signs that I was ovulating. But on being advised by a friend to see a doctor I googled post menopausal bleeding and was scared to death with what I read about it possibly being signs of cancer. I didn't sleep last night as a result and will certainly get it checked out by the Doctor but I feel loads better to read that it seems to happen to quite a lot of women. Fingers crossed that everything is normal. But thanks everyone for sharing.
  • Edited

Sorry - should clarify: it is important to report vaginal bleeding that occurs AFTER 12 months have passed without a period. You clearly fall within that guideline.
    • Edited

i had a clear smear test this year but after 2 years of nothing, am having a heavy period. do i need to see doc still? i cant bare the thought of being poked about again.

• Edited

Hi Tracie, I recently had a full blown period

afterv15 months without. I went thru this last year too. Had tvu and biopsy. Trust me no big deal...I am a big b😈aby and it really it is all manageable. All came back normal. Having another tvu today..better safe than sorry..so please please take care of yourself and call your doctor. I will keep u updated. Remember it could be caused by many many things. It is unnerving and a. Pain isn't it? Take care and heres to menopause...it is definitely not for the faint of heart..stay strong u r not alone...jeanne

• Posted

Jeanne, did you spot for a long time after the heaving bleeding stopped ? Have any pelvic pain?
    • Posted

Hi Jeanne, I know it has been a while  now since you posted this, but I am experiencing the same thing I am 52 and 2 years without a period and I just finished a 5 days period.  I was wondering when you dr checked you did he give you a blood test first and was your estrogen high?

• Posted

This also recently happened to me at the age of 53 and not having had any periods for 3 years.  I had some breast tenderness a couple of days before and it was a text book period for me.  I had an acute bout of stress 5-6 weeks before and wonder if this could have caused an increase in estrogen and kick started things.  I have not had any levels checked but have been thoroughly checked out with a hysteroscopy and womb biopsies and all is fine.  I am now 6 weeks on and have had no recurrence of the period.  Just wanted to reassure you it can happen and probably does not get recognised or reported by the medical institutions but it is as well to get it checked out medically to be on the safe side.
    • Edited

Hi 

I’ve posted on this discussion but not had a reply, I had bleeding after being 23 months without periods, got sent for hystoscopy on 24th May and ultrasound, was told I a small cyst on an ovary and a small fibroid also thickened womb lining, took biopsy and said I’d get the results in two weeks.  It’s the 9th July today and I’ve heard nothing despite making three calls to the hospital for an update and I even wrote a letter nearly two weeks ago asking why I hadn’t been informed and that it was quite stressful being left like this. I know that no news is good news but if they had said they’ll get back to me in about 6-10 weeks if it’s not a problem I wouldn’t have been so stressed. Even my doctor doesn’t know anything, I found out later that my womb thickness was 12mm ? That was on a letter they sent to my doctors about hrt but not mentioning anything about they findings of the biopsy.  I even had a second bleed in the middle of all this which scaredy me even more. Touch wood not had a third one fingers crossed I don’t , all the pmt symptoms I had before the bleed like very painful breasts and tummy aches etc have gone so I’m thinking it was just like most of the women on here, but telling me They have found things and not telling me what that means is driving me mad. 

• Posted

I'm so glad to have this thread! I'm 51 and had my last period 19months ago, about 2 weeks ago I had breast tenderness and a couple of days of light spotting, I had just started some new hayfever meds including steroid nasal spray and assumed it was linked to that, so stopped taking them, then a couple days ago the breast tenderness started again, today I had period pains, and this evening have just started a proper period! 😯 I will ring the doctors in the morning, but was starting to panic until I saw the comments on here.

• Posted

Not sure if you are in the UK.  My hysteroscopy and biopsy was on 5 June.  I did not get the written result until 4 weeks later.  The consultant said he would ring me on receipt of the results at about 10 days but did not do that.  Fortunately I had spoken with my doctor (due to some continuing discomfort from the hysteroscopy) 10 days after the biopsy and they had the results which they were able to discuss and reassure.  My womb lining was 4.6 mm (I believe the average womb lining is thicker when on HRT - I am not on HRT) and the visual result reported from the hysteroscopy was normal (although the doctor did mention a 4 cm cyst which the consultant did not mention at any time so I will follow that up with the doctors when I next need to see them).  The letter from the consultant was very brief just basically saying nothing untoward and I have been discharged.  It is very annoying especially if you are worrying getting a delay in the results and it is usually due to typing delays.  I have read on the internet that it is more common getting bleeding on HRT and from reference to that in your post I presume you are on HRT.  I did not get any oestrogen levels checked as this is not done and they are just keen to rule out any serious causes.  I have read that stress can raise estrogen levels though and as it happened 5-6 weeks after some acute severe stress I am putting it down to that.  Like you said, no news is good news and your results are hopefully just lying in a typing pile.
    • Posted

No estrogen scores/levels checked, I am not sure if you are in the UK but it is not usual to check these out on the NHS, they just want to make sure there is nothing untoward happening.
    • Posted

Hi nedg

I had my periods 3 days before after 3 years of no periods. I am 46 yrs. From past few weeks I am facing lot of stress. Today I went to gynae he did ultrasound n found that small fibroid is there. He said nothing to worry. Called for pap smear after bleeding is all clear. Don't know what to do. When I see posts in this forum feel relieved but check on Google that leads to always serious problem . Don't know I am panicking too much. Someone pls reply. My heart is crying. I did not share anything with my husband also . As will straight away drag me to hospital. He is very week when it comes to medical problems. Pls reply guys.

• Posted

Hi. You should share Imo... Usually when there is post menopause bleeding they do a biopsy right then and there, at least where I live, as there is a small percentage of women who have endometrial pre cancer or cancer so they want to rule it out. I would definitely ask GYN about this. I've had a biopsy, a hysteroscopy with biopsy and recently again a biopsy. Chances are very low but why risk?

• Posted

It is natural to worry about it.  I am the world's worst worrier!  You will see from my earlier post that I too had a 'period' almost to the day after not having any periods for 3 years.  I had also had a period of acute stress 5-6 weeks previous to the period.  Research on the internet does also provide some reassurance in that there has been a proven case of someone re-commencing periods due to stress and stress does seem to cause an increase of oestrogen (from what I could discover on the internet) which could in theory start a period.  I did have pre-menstrual symptoms (breast discomfort) and my period was "text-book" for me.  In the UK they do ultrasound scans (both stomach and vaginal) and whether they explore further by a hysteroscope/biopsies depends on the thickness of the womb lining.  Was your measured and if so, was it below 4 cm and that should provide some reassurance.  Maybe you could go back to your gynae to get some reassurance as to why no further tests were thought necessary as if your womb lining is very thin there is very low risk of anything untoward.  If you look further into google there is quite a large percentage where no cause for the bleed is found (as in my case) but certainly in the UK the doctors are just concerned to rule out any cause needing treatment so do not investigate natural occurrences and I suppose only anecdotal evidence suggests this may happen.  I do share your concerns though and you should speak again with your gynae to get more information/reassurance even if only to put your mind at rest.  The question also is, what to do about contraception although when I mentioned this to my consultant he seemed amused and thought my eggs would be too old to lead to any pregnancy!

• Posted

I am definitely the world's worst worrier lol. This third time, last time was one and a half years ago, my layer was very thin, no period symptoms like before, and she decided to do a biopsy even though she said she was very confident it was fine. For total piece of mind, so I said to go ahead. I agree with everything you said.

• Posted

NHS is the National Health Service in the UK.  I live in the north east of England and they do referrals for post menopausal bleeding within 14 days (mine was 7 days later).  They do tummy and vaginal scans and depending on the results, a hysteroscopy and two biopsies by a consultant at the hospital.  All mine were done on the same day under a 'one-stop shop' type of scheme.  I won't lie, the hysteroscope and biopsies were very uncomfortable and I would ask for some form of sedative or local anaesthetic first.

• Posted

Hi Julie I have a referral appt a week in Tuesday at the Post Menopausal Bleeding clinic after seeing my doctor last week, I hadn't had a period for 18months then started with one last Monday! My GP didn't think there is anything to worry about but is sending me for a scan and hysteroscopy to find out what's going on, they have been really quick with appointments x

• Posted

Hi maxi, I am also going to my gynae on Wednesday. I had bleeding after 3 years. My abdomen ultrasound shows normal. Let's see what gynae says.but my doctor says nothing to worry. Will update after Wednesday. Pray for u too...stay cool. Stress makes things worse

• Posted

Thanks Ana good luck for Wednesday, I'm so glad I found this thread, it's so reassuring to know how many other women are going through it, and that in most cases, it's nothing to worry about x

• Posted

Maxine, I am keeping fingers crossed and for Ana too.  Hopefully you will get the reassurance you need and there will be a positive outcome.  I posted on this site as many had worries before investigations but did not update after the event and I wanted to redress this, show that there can be positive outcomes and give some anecdotal reassurance so please keep us updated, I am sure all will be well.
    • Posted

Hi Julie

I went to see doctor, she did endometrial biopsy. 23 Rd July will b tvu. I am really scared. I am having back pain also lower back pain and feel headache n nausea. Very very tensed. My heart is crying. Can't control myself. Did anyone over here felt headache blower back pain or nausea. Pls share whoever is reading

. Endometrial biopsy was painful. Doctor was trying to ease but I was continuosly taking my god's name. Friends pls share your experiences whoever felt same n later result s are all normal.

God Bless you all with good health.

• Posted

Hi Maxine

How about your report. Mine is still on d way.

I went to see doctor, she did endometrial biopsy. 23 Rd July will b tvu. I am really scared. I am having back pain also lower back pain and feel headache n nausea. Very very tensed. My heart is crying. Can't control myself. Did anyone over here felt headache blower back pain or nausea. Pls share whoever is reading

. Endometrial biopsy was painful. Doctor was trying to ease but I was continuosly taking my god's name. Friends pls share your experiences whoever felt same n later result s are all normal.

God Bless you all with good health.

• Posted

Hi everyone, i'm Michelle 56 last month i had breast tenderness and sure enough about 10 days later had a bleed after almost 2 years without it lasted about 4 days, i just thought it was a last blast until just over 2 weeks later breast tenderness and another bleed, panicking now so went to gp who urgently refered me to gyno, i have appointment for 30th July and terrified, i too have had a lot of stress and worry over a few years, i feel a bit better reading other ladies experiences but i'm still in a panic and fear the worst, any reply would be really appreciated, thank you ladies.

• Posted

Ana, I had two endometrial biopsies taken as part of the hysteroscopy.  They were extremely painful.  Not everyone suffers pain but many do.  The nurses said I was being very brave as many scream the place down apparently.  Anyone who is having an hysteroscopy or an endometrial biopsy should insist on some form of sedative or aenesthetic as there is no telling who are going to be the unlucky ones.  That being said, my results were clear so please be assured the pain of the procedure has nothing to do with the results.  I also nearly passed out after it but again this is not uncommon.  I didn’t have back pain or headache after the procedure but I did have a specific area of discomfort in my upper abdomen area to the right which continued for two weeks after and also a brown discharge for ages after (I would say things are still not quite right and may yet take the antibiotics offered by the doctor in case of slight infection).  Hope things go well today.  Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi Ana fingers crossed for you! My hysteroscopy is tomorrow (24th) feeling a little anxious but this thread has really helped. Keep us updated on your results. Take care.
    • Posted

Please see my earlier threads.  I had a 'period' almost three years to the day since my last one.  I also had breast tenderness but in the three days immediately before and my period was a text-book period for me and lasted about 4 days.  I have had none since.  I had some acute anxiety about 5-6 weeks before.  Given the breast tenderness it certainly sounds hormonal although it is essential to get things checked out to rule out other causes.  I know it is scary but the doctors are there to check things out and treat before anything becomes serious so try to see the good in the investigations and be positive. I am a researching type of creature and a couple of websites you may find useful are www.avogel.co.uk[/b] - article "Why your periods might suddenly come back".  See also www.dcurbanmom.com "Rogue Ovulation" after menopause? DC Urban Moms and Dads" and also "ncbi.nim.nib.gov which is the first documented case of ovulation in a post menopausal woman (proven due to hormonal testing).  These may give you some comfort.  Incidentally, have you changed your diet recently as improvements in diet can apparently cause hormonal variations as can stress.  Hope this helps but please try not to worry too much in the meantime.  Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi, so glad I came across your post! I’m 56 and nearly 3 years after finishing periods I started bleeding heavily on Tuesday morning! I’ve had bad stress for about 12 months due to dad passing away and Work place not good. 

I also had tender breasts and sore nipples and the then odd griping pain in my right groin a few weeks ago. 

Since bleeding I’ve had  terrible period pains and dull ache in pelvis and back. Feel nauseous too, bit like pregnancy sickness. Bleeding just easing off now. Did you have all those symptoms?

I went to AnE straight away and had cervical examination, all good. Now on urgent 2 week list for tests.  So scared I can’t tell you 

• Posted

Hi

I am feeling so relaxed today. I too had no periods for 3 years then last month for 4 days like my regular ones use to. Had a very stressful month. But happy to share that all reports normal.( Pap smear, tvu and endometrial biopsy). So pls don't take stress. If doctor want to do all tests just do . but no need to stressed.

• Posted

hi jeanne,

same situation, 15 months since my list., At first I started to stain and now full blown heavy period, i have to got for ultra sound and biopsy also.

• Posted

i just went Tuesday. Started bleeding after a couple years. Found thickened uterus and did biopsy. I'm miserable waiting on results. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.