I have chest/rib cage/breast pain. It hurts to press on...

Posted , 24 users are following.

I have chest/rib cage/breast pain. It hurts to press on those areas. This has been going on for 8 weeks. Could I have Tietzes Syndrome? I am 53 and also suffer from fibromyalgia. Does anyone out there have these problems? I am a teacher of young children and this is affecting my work.

[i:1f289af777]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1f289af777]

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just wondering if you had inflammation or swelling in your upper chest? I have a large lump on the sternum and swelling around it. For two years, my doctor has said it is Costochondritis/Tietzes Syndrome and to go to pain management. Just this past Saturday, I went to urgent care. They took full chest/rib/sternum x-rays. I am worried it has been something more serious all this time but was let go. I am experiencing anxiety and depression. I feel for you. I am a young mother of two, work full time, and go to school part time.

[i:77e41ddf66]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:77e41ddf66]

• Posted

Hi, I'm 15 years old and for the past 4 years I have been dealing with very similar symptoms. Doctors says its costrocondritis as well and a couple times claimed it as muscle strain. Last night I had noticed it was inflamed/swollen and hurts to be touched pressed on and sometimes even just hurts randomly. Idk what it is. They've taken urine tests but no response and I have asked for x-Rays and all kinds of other stuff but they keep saying the same thing and won't do it. If you have any ideas on what could be wrong please let me know.
  • Posted

i have a lump on chest which has gone down slightly and it was painful with swelling and all sorts. The lump stays and the intensity of the pain comes and goes. See my other postings. I am fed up to the back teeth. I used to be very active and even after the cancer went back to riding and yoga and pilates. I have had x-rays too - nothing showing up. I feel sometimes like I am having heart attack or something.

[i:1d5b1f286d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1d5b1f286d]

• Posted

I am 30 and have had ME and fibromyalgia for over ten years, and I also have a heart murmur. I was given Vioxx for the fibromylagia and my chest pain went. I had always thought the chest pain was the fibromyalgia. However, I saw a doctor last week as it had returned and I had been taken off Vioxx when it was withdrawn and wanted to know if there was anything else. She said it was Tietze's, but I misheard her and have been looking on the internet for something called Tazes! So I am delighted to be diagnosed with yet another chronis condition. She told me it was nothing to worry about and it would go away, but I am now almost in tears to read the entries on this website. I hope you are feelinf better since you wrote this post.

[i:71ffdcbb78]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:71ffdcbb78]

• Posted

I also have ME and Fibromyalgia and suffer greatly from chest/ribcage pain and intolerable right sided breast burning pain very tender can't find a bra that doesn't hurt! This is the 1st time I have come across others suffering all the same conditions to-gether. I also have Trigeminal Neuralgia in the right side of my face Tegretol has got me on top of this for now until the next dreaded attack. The ribcage and breast pain is more or less constant and goes right round into my back thoracic region I get pins and needles creepy crawly feelings on my right side of my back tingling and numbness. I take Celebrex similar to Vioxx for arthritis and it does help with the all over pain!.

I am 58 yrs age but feel 80 sometimes. Thanks Jean 16/05/06

[i:2717c0b3cb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2717c0b3cb]

• Posted

Oh Jean, your symptoms sound a lot like what I am experiencing. For the past 4 months, burning/stabbing pain in my breasts, followed by huge swollen/hot/pai ful bruises, followed by lumps. Pain in my breastbone radiating to my spine and today I now have swollen painful lump at the very bottom of my breastbone and it hurts to breathe. Mammograms and Ultrasound results are.being called "fat necrosis" with no explanation for why I am getting these painful spots, bruises, and lumps. Just told not to worry because not breast cancer. sad I will be 49 in 1 month.

• Posted

I'm a fibromyalgia patient as well and have been having breast and rib and side pain for months. Untilrecently I just chalked it up as fm but the breast pain has been pretty constant for about a week Alsosoreness on the ribs under the breast has increased as well. Now I will say this has happened in the past and has tapered off only to come back again. I've never mentioned this to my Dr. only that my ribs are always sore as are my neck shoulders ect.. the pain that does occur in my chest and neck in the front from the ears down and random chest pain. ALthough I've found no lumps on a self breast exam the Dr. has scheduled a diagnostic mammogram fingers crossed all will be well and hopefully just another weirdfibro thing. If anyone has expierenced this I sure would appreciate input.

• Posted

Did you get any further on this. I've had sharp pain in right breast for over 2 years now. Chest xray revealed nothing. Amoxicillin for a tooth ache calmed it down a little. Was a smoker and had blood in my sputum for a little while until i took the amoxicillin..stopped smoking pain went away, but has come back. Intermittent tight chest with pain under breast on rib cage, thought it was gallbladder but pressed on bone and it hurts a lot. Thought I had costochondritis a couple years back, as i have pain either side of my sternum were the ribs meet it. Dr didnt follow it up. No lumps. I have hyper joint mobility. Know there is something else wrong but my GPs have been pretty non interested and useless.
  • Posted

I wrote a comment "Sharing what worked to stop my Tietze pain". Have a read, it might help. I hope so smile
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 15 years old and for the past 4 years I have been dealing with very similar symptoms. Doctors says its costrocondritis as well and a couple times claimed it as muscle strain. Last night I had noticed it was inflamed/swollen and hurts to be touched pressed on and sometimes even just hurts randomly. Idk what it is. They've taken urine tests but no response and I have asked for x-Rays and all kinds of other stuff but they keep saying the same thing and won't do it. If you have any ideas on what could be wrong please let me know.
    • Posted

mine is never paindful, more aches, dr says costo, i get to spots on back that is tender to touch, anyone else not get it to painfully x
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm new to this, suffering symptoms very similar to many here. I have read that Tietzes syndrome produces painful 'nodules' as you describe and that it is slightly different to costo? Hope ur feeling a bit better.

• Posted

I have similar response and also tingling belt line and around my rib cage!! It's so good to chat!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.