Completely lost

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I posted in the celexa forum group almost two months ago when this all started. Now I'm on Effexor xr.

It all started around Christmas. I was on celexa 20mg for just over two years, and it was working great. Suddenly, and out of the blue, I had a panic attack one night. I hadn't had one in two years. So, I went to my doctor and she started me on Effexor xr 37.5mg on January 5th...no tapering, just a switch directly to Effexor.

The whole month of January was pure hell. Every startup side effect hit me like a train, every single day. I had horrible panic attacks every single night.

So, went back to the doctor and she bumped me up to 75mg on feb. 1st. I'm getting the same terrible side effects as I did with the 37.5mg. I'm still having panic attacks every single night.

I can't stand what I'm going thru. I would just like to get off this medicine. Or maybe this is completely normal. I just don't remember going thru this when I started celexa.

One other thing to note: I'm not suicidal, but since starting this medicine, random thoughts to end it all creep into my mind during panic attacks.

I feel like I'm at a low I've never been before. I feel like I can't even trust my doctor.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're having such a terrible time right now. I ever took antidepressants until 2015. I took Celexa for two weeks with no results,and my doctor switched me to a low dosage of venlafaxine and mirtazapine. The mirtazapine did help me sleep, but th depression didn't improve. I was never suicidal. Finally I was hospitalized in July 2015  for treatment resistant major depressive disorder with psychosis and my psychiatrist found the meds that worked for me. I now take 300mg venlafaxine and 15mg mirtazapine and I am happier and sleeping better than I have for years. They gave me my life back. Different people can react differently to meds, but for me they have been great. I hope you will soon feel better.

Take care,

Phylls 

• Posted

Hi.

Firstly, if you were doing well on celexa and you only experience one panic attack it seems

a bit of an overreaction on the part of your doctor to suddenly change you to another medication

all antidepressants can either stop working after a while or you can still have ups and downs during treatment.

it's not unusual to suffer the odd panic attack or anxiety attack when you are on anxiety medication.

the purpose of these drugs is to even out your mood so that on the whole you are less anxious and you have less

occurences of anxiety attacks. The rare attack can be managed by short-term anti-anxiety medication such as diazepam

I would have suggested continuing with your Celexa and only if you started to get panic attacks more frequently ,

then the next step would be to consider increasing the dose of the Celexa because you may be experiencing tolerance on the lower dose.

only after various doses are explored should you be considered for a switch rather

medication.

Effexor is a much stronger drug than celexa and its side effects profile is much harder. If your condition is primarily anxiety rather

than depression then a switch to another SSRI would have been more appropriate something like Lexapro or Paxil rather than jumping to an SNRI.

Effexor side effects usually subside after two to three weeks but for some people they can

linger around for quite a bit longer. With such severe side effects after a month increasing the dose is

likely to make things worse, but 37.5 milligrams is an effective dose for anxiety in many people but some require more

and so maybe your doctor wanted to see if that improved the condition .

Your options are either to stick it out but clearly you have decided that you don't want to do that which is fair enough

there is no point in reducing the dose back to 37.5 milligrams because that probably not an effective dose panic attacks and will not treat your

condition. Therefore the next option would be to go back to the doctor and ask to be switched over back to celexa and maybe

try a different dose or request to switch to another SSRI class as the ones I have mentioned above which tend to have a less brutal

side effect profile, although that cannot be guaranteed as everybody reacts differently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.