Compression stockings !!

Posted , 25 users are following.

I've already posted about this subject,but I am again sleepless in Essex!  I just cannot sleep with these friggin stockings on! It's been three weeks now since my TKR and I'm coming to the end of the road with them. Does it really make any difference whether I wear them or not? They are so hot, tight and uncomfortable. 

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should call you doctor and ask if you can take them off at night so you can sleep. Seems like all doctors have their own ideas of how long they want their patients to wear them. Mine said 2 weeks. Other people I know had to wear them much longer. It's worth asking... 

• Posted

Yes, I was told they are for prevention of blood clots... I wore them for 4 weeks. I did took them of (I had them on both legs for 3 weeks) a couple time at night when my legs were elevated and for 15 min or so while watching but I was massaging my TRK during that time. It does seem that it would do the opposite by being so tight. Hang in there.!
  • Posted

I was able to take them off at night, It was a relief at night! I had to buy a second pair after 3 weeks. I wore them for 6 weeks. I also took a blood thinner, Zarelto for six weeks. It's hard enough to sleep without them , wearing them at night would be rough. Good luck.

• Posted

The hospital where I'm going have told me they issue you with TWO pairs so there is no excuse while one pair is being washed LOL!  I think they've said 6 weeks.  Don't know if it's both legs or not, but suspect it might be.  Also get blood thinning tablets for weeks after as well.  But they said they're really hard to get on so my husband will need to help!

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but surely a good nights sleep is more beneficial.

Wear them when you're not asleep like in the daytime

• Posted

Ask your doc specifically. Calves are the #1 spot blood clots form. Blood slows when your legs are swollen. Clots form and can travel to your lungs.

Sleep is REALLY important too so maybe theyll say, off at night on in the day.

Hope u can get some rest

:

• Posted

I used the stockings constantly with my first TKR-- now with my 2nd I have not been as good about using them-- they cut into my leg really badly at the top. I was told it is ok not to use them at night and I have not been. I do "foot pumps" often to keep the blood circulating-- and have been fine. Do ask your Dr. about it-- but I was SO terribly uncomfortable too-- and I am always hot and couldn't stand having them on for long. If your Dr. thinks it would be ok-- I would definetly not wear them at night.. Good Luck! Sleep is SO important- I don't know what sleep is myself right now...

• Posted

Like you I don't remember wearing them for long with the first knee.  A week at the most.  I'm 3 weeks today so time is passing by quickly. Because I'm not sleeping at night very much I'm napping during the day which will affect the sleep pattern. Hey ho, no one said it was easy!  X

• Posted

I am a little confused.  Did you have a history of blood clots?  I am 4 weeks post op TKR and did not have to wear any stockings.  Is this standard procedure?
    • Posted

I myself have no history of blood clots-- but it was stressed by the hospital to use these-- they fitted me with them immediately before surgery and they never took them off while I was in the hospital- I was told to use them for 6 weeks. Hospitals will differ in what they suggest to their patients-- everyone I have ever talked to had PT after their surgeries-- I was given a sheet and told to do the exercises at home-- never have had a day of PT. I would imagine it just depends on your hospital/Dr. requirements. 
    • Posted

That is weird NO PT. You need that to Chiv you're up to max 125° man it's very helpful. A lot of times they assist you with your PT so you're not doing it alone never heard of it.

• Posted

Everyone finds it SO strange that I was never told to do PT outside of my home-- I don't even see my surgeon until 12 weeks post TKR. He checks at that time how my bend is. He didn't measure the first one-- just watch how far I could bend it while sitting on the chair in his office. I wish they would see me earlier-- with this 2nd knee I really think PT would probably be helping me at this point. I don't know why I have never been given the option-- but with both knees I was bending above 95% the day I left the hospital-- I always assumed that was why??

• Posted

That's great above 95% but did you reach 120 to 125% on bend? In home PT & going to outside PT is the norm. I saw my Surgeon post-op I think was 6 weeks out for follow-up then referred to outside PT. I reached 125 degrees with all 5 of my knee surgeries

• Posted

Did you have a blood clot? I never needed or anyone I heard of having to Wear the compression stockings?
    • Posted

Cathy,

I am high risk but never actually had a blood clot. Our hospital/orthopedic policy in the joint class is 6ws for everyone. They also make everyone take a baby aspirin for 4weeks. I had to take a blood thinner r/t my high risk in addition to the stockings. Their outcomes are so good that the policy continues.

As long as you know your personal risks and benefits and get the ok from your surgeon. You'll have your answer.

smile

• Posted

I don't have a history of blood clot, it's just standard procedure in uk. But hospitals here vary the advice to whatever the manager of the hospital trust think.  Very confusing.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.