Concerned

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm 61 and have moderate copd. I've been feeling very anxious lately even though my recent chest infection has cleared up. I am going to my gp to ask to be put back on the anti depressants which I came off last year has I'm having lots of anxiety symptoms. I know this might sound silly but last night I went for a swim with my daughter. While in the pool my daughter looked at me and told me my ears had turned blue. This didn't last too long but it's really freaked me out. I'm now not sure weather this is due to stress or something else. Other symptoms I'm getting are stiffness in my hands and joints along with the low moods etc.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sue was this an indoor heated pool?  I know I would be going blue if it was outdoors, especially this time of year in UK any way.   Either way I think you need to check in with your doctor and let him know what you are experiencing, the blueness indicates a circulation problem, the stiffness could be that too, or maybe the water you were swimming in was just too cold.

If these symptoms persist even when not swimming you need to let your doctor know what has been happening, just communicate what you have here.

Take good care and best wishes V

• Posted

Hi Sue

I have a couple of questions about the blue ear: What kind of lighting was around? My current hair color has been a revelation as to the different effects of incandescent/flourescent/newer forms of low energy lighting on my perception of the color. On top of that come the perceptions of everyone else around me. Did you feel cold at the time?

A lot of anxiety comes with a diagnosis such as COPD, and so does some depression for many of us. It is my hope that after you see your doc again and get some help, you will be able to see the strength you yet have: You were swimming! Hooray! Keep it up as much and as long as you can no matter what color your ears seem to be

I also understand that when we are depressed and or anxious it is very hard to see anything positive in ourselves. Many of us have lived decades with this disease. I hope that you will also, meanwhile swimming with your daughter as much as possible.

• Posted

Hi aitarg yes gonna keep up the swimming as I'm sure it helps with my breathing. Hopefully the meds will sort out my anxiety as they did when previously taken. I will also get my daughter to check my ears next session.xxx sue

• Posted

Hello Sue

That feeling of anxiety sure is unsettling, isn't it?!  It isn't a good feeling.

In respect to the discoloration in your ears and the stiffness in your hands, these could be symptoms of oxygen levels that are too low.

When you talk with your doctor, you should mention these symtoms that have happened. In fact, anxiety can also be brought on with low oxygen as well.

Being that you have recently had an infection, it may be that it isn't entirely cleared from the chest...perhaps you should bring a sputum sample with you when you go, and perhaps your physician will have it tested to determine if there is still growth in the sputum and if so, what antibiotic you may or may not need.

Let us know how  you are doing, if you don't mind. Always good to learn from each other!

Lill

• Posted

Hi, saw my gp and he has put all my symptoms down to anxiety including the blue ear thing. I am now on a high dose of citralapam and have to go back in 3 months. I told him how I seem to be extra sensitive to cold and heat and I'm having stiffness in my joints. The pool I was in was indoors but felt quite cold at first. Sometimes worry that when a gp knows u have anxiety and depression they tend to put everything down to the condition. In the past my copd was mistaken for anxiety.
    • Posted

Hello Sue!

Good to hear back.

I hope things are more settled for you. And I agree, some times, things are attributed to anxiety, just because you have it which does nothing for anyone's confidence and trust!

Blue ears can be caused by a lowered oxygen level or poor circulation. It could also be caused by anxiety if your breathing is off. And that is also true of stiffness in the joints, when oxygen levels are lower.

See how things go Sue~ let us know.

I'm sure you feel more settled now that you have had a chance to speak with him.

(swimming is a great exercise, I do it as well smile )

Lill

• Posted

Hi i don't know a lot about COPD yet ,as i am newly diagnosed myself.But i also have an underactive thyroid, and some of those symptoms can happen when a person has low thyroid levels.It maybe a good idea too, to ask your doctor for a thyroid test as well just in case,that may be making you worse.

• Posted

Thanks Lina, I have actually thought about the thyroid too. I'm gonna try new meds that I was given yesterday for depression and if still having symptoms ll mention this to my gp xx sue
    • Posted

Good luck, i hope you get it all sorted out.As a matter of interest, will you please let us know how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.