concerned about Alendronic Acid

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia 6 weeks ago and have been told to take Alendronic acid I have put off taking it but spoke to go yesterday and she advised me to start taking it because of the  effect of the predisilone on my bones I'm 72 yrs old been reading up on this drug again tonight and don't like what I'm reading was going to start taking tomrrow but I am very unsure has anyone got any advice

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have to take it to strengthen weak bones due to various ailments. I did also take the same steroid for a long time without realising it was adding to my bone problem. But I didn't get on with the weekly form of alendronic acid and have just had an infusion which is done annually. Every drug I am on I don't like the sound of when I read about it but sometimes the alternatives outweigh the risks of a drug. Saying that, I haven't actually read much to scare me about this drug. There are far far worse! I would take it as you could end up with crumbly bones!

• Posted

Hi sherry my husband has just said the same thing and I know my gp won't be happy if I don't and at 72 my bones won't be in great shape I don't suppose I know what you mean about side effects  as a rule I never read them before taking the medication if it throws up a problem when I've taken it a bit I usually look then but with this drug something is holding me back I've had quite a few side effects from the predisilone but they are getting better now I'm reducing

• Posted

I understand . I took far too much predisilone and had to wean myself off it. I am determined not to go on it again...pain or not. I feel the pred was far more damaging than this alendronic acid is likely to be. I just found it a pain to take every week on top of my injection so that's why I opted for the infusion. I had it done about a month ago and have absolutely no side effects. So I feel I have saved my bones a bit more for a whole year! I am 65 so my bones were in need of some attention too. Good luck. No rush. Think it thru some more.

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with osteoporosis though? Have you had a bone density scan and, of so, what are your tscores?

AA is a very drastic drug not to be taken just in case another drug might affect your bones.

I was prescribed AA but refused to take it because of the side affects especially for the osophageas as I have trouble swallowing.

Don't start until you are happy it is the right decision for you.

Many on here are trying a natural way with vitamin supplements and exercise.

Vitamin D is essential and is often the cause of bones losing their density. Have you been checked for vitamin D. We are here in Australia. Others to take include vitamin k2, magnesium, zinc. Exercise is important especially weight bearing. 

For a start, have you had a bone density test? Do you actually have osteoporosis?

• Posted

Hi Kathleen no I have not been diagnosed with osteoporosis and have asked for a bone density scan twice first reply don't need one you have never had a fracture and asked another gp Friday who I might add is very good and she said by the time I got a app for scan I would probably be off the predisilone and by that time the bones might already have started to crumble so that's where I am at really don't want to take aABut don't want my bones to crumble either

• Posted

Hi Olwen

I know its a difficult choice to make but I still feel you should go ahead with the bisphosphonate. This is the general name for all these drugs. I have many friends who take it with no problems. I just cannot imagine a big London hospital like the Royal Free, or any doctors, giving me something that would do the opposite to what they are meant to do. Drugs are a necessary evil but they saved my life so I guess I am biased. As for a bone density scan I would still insist on one but I would imagine it would show a lower level than it should be at our age. I take extra vitimin D too which is common sense. Good luck.

• Posted

Why would a drug be prescribed for a condition that one might not even have! Defies belief! In Australia, you must must osteoporosis for the drug to be considered. It is not a lolly. 

Refuse to take it until you have a confirmed diagnosis of osteoporosis. Insist on having a bone density scan.

Do your own research.

Imagine if people without diabetes were given the drugs just in case they get it as it runs in the family or some such nonsense.

I am in shock. This is medical malpractice.

No drug should be taken lightly and especially not biphosphonates!

• Posted

I got breast cancer and take tamoxifen. My siblings are potentially cancer sufferers and are given tamoxifen as a preventative. You are given vaccines to prevent getting diseases. Its basically same principal. Many people would have very weak bones were it not for preventative drugs. There are lots of examples. Why wait to get osteoporosis! Thankfully my bones are much stronger now and wish I had taken it before I got so bad. There is nothing dangerous about bisphosphonates. Its been around many years now. But its all personal choice. Its hardly malpractice! Look up malpractice and see rather than just accusing.
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen that is exactly what I thought should have bone density before to check if I need them but gp says by the time my app comes through I might be off the predisilone I take 10mg a day now and don't have any breakthrough pain two more weeks and I shall have lowered to 7.5mg I am definitely not going to take AA at the moment I don't think for one minute I have osteoporosis have always been fit and walked a lot till the polymyalgia 

Many thanks for your reply

• Posted

Good for you taking a stand. We are in control not to be dictated to. Also, now with the Internet we can do our own research and discover the truth about medications and tests and what we need to do.
    • Posted

You cannot compare AA to lesser drugs that are preventative. 

With AA you are causing damage to possibly healthy bones.

Imagine my husband with the bones of a 30 year old being bombarded by AA. The idea is preposterous,

It is definitely malpractice. My GP would never prescribe this drug for a healthy person. Do no harm!

I have been able to help my GP with my own research and experience and she has asked me to continue to do so. She shares my findings with other GPs.

One such valuable example is the name of the test for people on AA and other OP drugs to have done prior to having teeth extracted.  

She respects my choice not to take the drugs and has equal number of patients taking the drugs and refusing the drugs.

I take diabetic drugs, Crohns drugs, etc but I balked at AA which tells you how different this particular type of drug is.

I respect the people with severe osteoporosis who take AA or similar drug BUT I am shocked and dismayed at anyone being urged to take AA without a diagnosis as it is not intended for that misuse.

• Posted

I am involved with Cancer Research UK and if you look on their site and call up bisphosphonate you will see a lot of information about it. I believe these are excellent drugs for preventing further bone damage. They do lower calcium but this can easily be added to the diet. I think we must agree to disagree! Cancer Research UK is my most trusted source of information.
    • Posted

I should also mention that these drugs are not meant to be taken long term. I have had an infusion which lasts a year and I may not need to take it again. I feel confident that this will benefit me but we all have different opinions and I respect that.
    • Posted

I don't suggest your husband be given the drug! I wonder what your thoughts are on other drugs. I suffer considerable pain from rheumatoid arthritis and have to take many drugs (all cancer drugs) to help relieve pain. I need bisophonate to help stop my RA progressing. End of. This drug helps to stop bones getting more damage. I only listen to what Cancer Research UK tell me. I trust them. You and your doctor may research and tell other doctors your findings but I think the main doctors in this field already know about most of the information you are researching. Good luck with whatever choices you make. Its good we can do as we feel right for us.

• Posted

You have already made your mind up and I wonder why you are even discussing this! I misunderstood you and thought you were looking for advice from others who take bishophonates! Sorry.
    • Posted

Actually my GP did not know and was very thankful to pass that information on. They don't have the time to research and my GP knows my qualifications and trusts me to research in a scholarly fashion.

Pain killing medication is necessary because while there is pain healing cannot occur. I understand the pain you are describing and I suffer that in my hands.

My husband was a mere example illustrating that without a diagnosed condition a drug like a biphosphonate should not be prescribed.

I believe with very serious osteoporosis the drugs must be considered but otherwise they have no place in patient care.

I do take drugs for diabetes and Crohns and with the former in particular there are risks but without the drugs I would probably die.

So one must weigh up the pros and cons carefully and make a decision that is right for you.

But never even consider biphosphonates without having tscores of at least -3.

All the best to you and hope you are able to manage your pain with your rheumatoid arthritis which is an awful thing to have.

• Posted

She was asking for feedback and it is good to have the arguments of both sides because it helps in the decision making.

It is her decision to make regardless of what we have to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.