Conflicted about a new activity - advice ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I realise that everyone's body and healing are different but would appreciate some thoughts from this helpful group.  I am at nearly 4 weeks post enterocele, rectocele and perineal reinforcement repair. Everything seems to have gone ok so far ( blotting out the memory of that first BM !). I had an anterior repair last summer so knew what to expect in terms  of recovery and care, except that this time I have a lot of perineal stitching plus much more swelling. I am currently not comfortable sitting for longer than about 15 minutes - luckily I can do my part time work from home semi recumbent using my trusty, lightweight  iPad mini.

Last year, I started a weekly art class at about 9 weeks post op , which was fine as I perched on a high stool rather than standing at the easel. Everyone was very helpful about moving the easel and table for me. I loved every minute and it was such a boost to my mood. I may make the final classes of term in a few weeks time if all goes well  - they are only 2.5 hours long. 

i have the opportunity of doing a 3 ( consecutive) day course, 7 hours a day, on a related subject at what will be about 10 weeks post op. I am very conflicted - my heart would really love to do this, it is in a familiar environment, I could sit on a lower chair with cushion but my head is wondering if that is too much sitting on this repair and a long day ( if I also factor in the travelling)

i know many people go back to work full time by that stage but if it is returning to something they already know, they might have a better idea about how demanding that will be on their bodies. I am not due for a post op check until well beyond that date, btw. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Like you say Mari everyone heals differently and at different rates so it's difficult to advise you really as to what you should do but as joining this group was something you really enjoyed and felt comfortable doing I'm inclined to say go for it. You'll be able to walk around a little if you start feeling uncomfortable and it will do you so much good and help your recovery. Good luck 
    • Posted

Thank you, Matron. I think it would definitely be a psychological boost to me  and I am sure the time  will go by like a flash. A plus point is that most of the materials are provided on the short course so I only need to carry my pencils ! The college is super helpful about adapting to various physical needs. 

I was just wondering about the ' average' trajectory and timeline of healing and discomfort for that level of perineal repair with external stitches and adjacent rectocele. I wasn't aware of the higher internal stitches on my anterior repair last year ; I did have stitches for an episiotomy 25 years ago with my first but that was nothing like as much. I am an otherwise fit nearly 60. 

• Posted

I agree this course will be a fantastic boost for your moral and the fact that you'll feel much happier doing something you enjoy will help with your recovery. It's the same as going on holiday when you're recuperating, it reminds me of the days of convalescence homes where patients could recuperate in the country, but that's going back a long time. In 1969 I was a cadet nurse in a convalescent home that was part of the hospital where I trained and ladies following pelvic floor surgery would be sent for 2-3 weeks before discharge. 

A perineal repair can take longer to heal because the tissues are thinner in post menopausal women and therefore more delicate. It's usually at least 12 weeks before it will be healed but as long as your careful you won't have any problems and remember your body will tell you if you're doing too much and if you become more uncomfortable sitting so taking a little walk every hour will help. But more importantly go and enjoy yourself, you'll benefit so much from this.

• Posted

Hi,

I would say definitely go for it and adapt if you need to but you might well not have too.  There will be a huge difference by then if all goes according to plan . I had the two repairs, a   hysterectomy and a  perineum repair  and am over 60. I went on holiday at 10 weeks,  in Feb, 4  hours  sitting on the plane . Totally fine and no problem and then a  relaxing holiday though could walk for quite a long time and swim, just did not try the bike. Energy levels fine  and it takes you out of yourself . Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Mari! I only had anterior repair, but expecting my post repair in the next months... If the course is going to take place in your 10 week post op I wouldnt doubt to do it if you feel well. I think it will help you not to be obsessed with the healing (as many of us are 😬)... In this kind of surgeries psychological health is very important and if you think it will cheer you up, go for it! Hugs! 😘
  • Posted

Have booked it !  We are also going to stay with some friends in lovely countryside the week before so I have plenty to look forward to now - will help me keep patient about restricted activities over the next few weeks.
    • Posted

Wonderful. You will come back refreshed after having a lovely time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.